Page 14 of 580 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114514 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    I'm hoping that later with the next season collection they'll have Day of The Doctor included and with commentary.
    However, what I really wanted to have was a special 50th Anniversary collection of Day of the Doctor with The Five-ish Doctors with commentary and outtake clips from both. Plus special stuff like those scenes played at the theaters. Still can not fathom why this was not done. It's downright borderline criminal. *pouts*
    Apparently there is a 50th Box Set in the works (likely containing Name, Day and Time as a trilogy), and Five'ish will be included on that, presumably with some new extras that haven't been on previous releases.

Is it a cynical cash-in to get (some) fans to buy the same episodes twice?

Yep.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Apparently there is a 50th Box Set in the works (likely containing Name, Day and Time as a trilogy), and Five'ish will be included on that, presumably with some new extras that haven't been on previous releases.

Is it a cynical cash-in to get (some) fans to buy the same episodes twice?

Yep.
    *sigh* Yeah...I already have original versions all the complete seasons plus Day and have not felt the urge to get Time (unless at a really big discount for the ending scenes in the Tardis), but will end up getting that (bar a ridiculously high price point) for Five'ish and the specials. Davidson was my fifth fave Doctor even if I thought most of his companions and stories were crap.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Default About This Thread's Regenerations...

Matt, I've been meaning to ask:
    This is version four of this thread and was based on the fact that CBR 'relaunched' itself in April. I original found CBR during the third version.
    What caused versions one and two to end?
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

The old board used to get bogged down if threads went over 5,000 posts.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan

Default The Reasons We Love Particular Doctors

I don't mean stories or companions.
    What mannerisms or behaviors do you like most about each of your fave Doctor/s?

Two: "Oh my giddy Aunt!" and "Oh dear, oh, dear, oh dear... (head slap) Two held so much hyper child fun which could reverse on the edge of a dime into his own version of The Oncoming Storm. To this day he remains my favorite, barely edging out Tennant and Smith.

Ten: "I'm sorry, so sorry" "I don't want to go." tugs at my love for pathos. He's just so darn sad it pulls at my empathy. Plus the running streams of semi-gibberish talking.

Eleven: Those flapping hand gestures coupled with the adult child 'store front' of Two.

Three: "Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" Science! He's gruff, but not as bad as Six.

Five: Again the sad, lost puppy look. Always imagined him with the line: "I'm the leader....which way did they go?"

Four: exuberance, nuttiness, and a bit rude

Nine: His jealousy/rivalry with Jack about the merits of all things sonic

Wally 'Ginger' West fan

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    The old board used to get bogged down if threads went over 5,000 posts.
    Huh. In that case its a wonder we aren't on thread #six or later.

They've since upgraded the server so it's no longer an issue.

Just watched the first two episodes of The Curse of Fenric. I've not seem much if anything of Sylvester McCoy as The Doctor, ( I stopped after Peter Davison), and I'm really enjoying his performance in this.

McCoy's run is an odd one. The first season, starting with Time and the Rani, was horrible. Truly, it was. A good rule of thumb is that if the story features Mel, it'll almost certainly be rubbish.
    When Ace came on board (so basically everything after Dragonfire), they changed the direct of the 7th Doctor's run - and it became really, really great. I'd go so far as to call what followed as some of the best of classic Who. I'd thoroughly recommend the following: Remembrance of the Daleks, Ghost Light, Curse of Fenric, Silver Nemesis, Battlefield, and Survival. Greatest Show in the Galaxy suffered from some pacing issues but it's also a fine tale, especially the end when the Doctor walks away from an explosion ... the head clown is also really well done in a very creepy manner.

Avoid: Time and the Rani, Delta and the Bannermen, Paradise Towers
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    McCoy's run is an odd one . . .
    Coming from Sylvester McCoy himself, or at least an avatar that looks suspiciously like him, I guess this is gospel--but I find myself feeling the opposite. I liked Mel okay enough--given the companions from that era. And I thought her stories with Seven were all pretty good. I liked Delta and the Bannermen (except for all the killing*)--that would have been a great introduction for a new companion--too bad they botched it.

With Ace, I felt like we were being made to care about her, without being given enough reason to care about her. It was a hard struggle for me to like her--although by the last story (or was it the last--I remember that the order of the stories was a bit mixed up), I came around to accepting her as the final companion for the old series.

*One thing I don't like is how people are routinely killed off if they don't happen to matter to the Doctor's future. The producers could have allowed some people to have happy endings, but for some mean-minded reason they couldn't just let them have that. Nope, we get large numbers of people dying off screen. To me that dimiinishes the Doctor as a hero--he can't save everyone, but it would be good if he could save more than a few.

Thanks for the opinions and info gents. I'm going to check out some more of McCoy's run. In general he is an actor I could do with seeing more of.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    They've since upgraded the server so it's no longer an issue.
    That's a nice avatar. FOR A HUMAN.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Another new teaser (with some spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbX4tNG_k3s

Regarding McCoy, he currently appears in the Hobbit trilogy of films as Radagast The Brown if you want to see more of him. The Seventh Doctor also appears in many "New Adventures" novels that were published in-between "Survival" and the TV movie. One-"Human Nature"-was even adapted into a Tennant story.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I loved hearing that voice in the new teaser. One of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    That's a nice avatar. FOR A HUMAN.
    Oh noes, my nemesis!