Page 218 of 581 FirstFirst ... 118168208214215216217218219220221222228268318 ... LastLast
Results 3,256 to 3,270 of 8711

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Missy: See that couple over there you're the puppy.

I think that was the best assessment of the companions ever. The Doctors cares and loves them like pets he likes their company and has fun with them and they can intrigue him like Clara or Amy if there is a mystery around them. But I cannot see the doctor having actual "romantic" love for humans. Rose was a puppy she might had been the Doctor's favorite puppy for a time but she was a puppy.

Only River comes close to "romantic" love for me only because she understands him. It's about hooking up for adventures and then going their separate ways also she got and accepted the fact he changes. Could anyone see Rose, Martha, Sarah Jane, Clara, or any other human companion who had feelings for the Doctor falling for 1 or 2? I mean Clara's relationship while still grounded in a love went from hey I kind of fancy him to hey old man fast once 11 became 12.
    I can buy the puppy analogy for most of the companions, but I honestly believed he was romantically in love with Rose. It was more than just his favorite puppy. She was handled very differently than other heralds and it showed.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I can buy the puppy analogy for most of the companions, but I honestly believed he was romantically in love with Rose. It was more than just his favorite puppy. She was handled very differently than other heralds and it showed.
    It was handled differently, yeah. But it never sat well with me because the show had also established that he was 900 and she was 19. That kinda violates the half-your-age-plus-7 rule (but less facetiously, the experience gap that spans almost a millennium has to be difficult to bridge). I'd be more okay with it if it was a one-sided crush, albeit a massive one, from Rose to the Doctor, like Amy and Eleven, or Martha and Ten, for that matter. Though, blaming it on Rose was a misstep, imo. His aloofness should be reason enough for being so oblivious.

Hypothetically, it would've been worse if it was Rose + Eleven, because Matt Smith purposely tried to play the Doctor as young on the outside, old and tired on the inside, and completely awkward all around.
    Last edited by Cyke; 07-12-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I would rather go with the analogy that the "Classic Companions" were the Doctor's Friends back when being a friend to someone didn't mean you wanted them around simply because you wanted into their pants like modern entertainment seems to treat "friendship" aka SHIPPING.

Retired

Starting with the 3rd Doctor, his companions are into him but he's oblivious. It's clear that Jo really wants something from the Doctor but he doesn't pick up on any of the signals--because he's not human. So she realizes this is going nowhere and she finds a bloke that's enough like the Doctor that she can close her eyes and pretend it's him.

I don't believe the 9th was really into Rose. So he fits with the previous Doctors. And Rose is like the other companions whose feelings go unrequited. But you can explain away the 10th Doctor's Rose fixation as being some function of her becoming Bad Wolf and the 9th Doctor regenerating into Ten immediately thereafter. The 10th has remade himself (or Rose has remade him) to be a proper suitor.

This is why he's so angst-ridden for his entire existence. These two aspects of his nature are tearing at him--the human needs of Rose and his own Time Lord needs.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

I don't believe the 9th was really into Rose. So he fits with the previous Doctors. And Rose is like the other companions whose feelings go unrequited.
    That's completely inaccurate. It was obvious that 10 loved Rose. He started to tell her that he loved her but before he could finish, he got cut off (remember when he was using the power of a sun to send a hologram of himself to communicate with her in the alternate universe?)
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I've never really understood some fan's desire (preference?) to 'dehumanise' the Doc'. It's all "Oh, he's so different" and "The Doctor doesn't feel the way we do" and "He's all above feeling love" and so on and so on. I mean, why should that one emotion, that one particular state of mind be so very unusual for him? He shares all our other feelings after all; He's passionate, funny, inquisitive, brave, intelligent, he has likes and dislikes. People like to wave this big flag of how alien the Doctor is, but it's basically just a load of boll...ards.

Yes, he has an alien physiology and has been around for a veeeeeery long time - but when push comes to shove, it's his half-human side that generally rules his head. So when he fell in love with Rose... he fell in love with her. It doesn't have to be justified or explained (just like Time Lord relationships didn't need all that Lungbarrow loom nonsense... Cos God forbid Time Lords might actually have sex, right!!? ) It's just the Doc doing what he's always done. Having feelings. And there's no crime (or cooties) in that.

Spectacular Member

Sarah Jane was in love with the Doctor. That much we know as a fact. Some of the companions may mean more than the others to him, but the idea that a companion that loves the Doctor in this era is nothing new. I am not a fan of it per say, but its a thing that happens on this show. I liked Billy, because she wasn't in love with him sorta like Donna and even Amy in the middle of season five.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I've never really understood some fan's desire (preference?) to 'dehumanise' the Doc'. It's all "Oh, he's so different" and "The Doctor doesn't feel the way we do" and "He's all above feeling love" and so on and so on. I mean, why should that one emotion, that one particular state of mind be so very unusual for him? He shares all our other feelings after all; He's passionate, funny, inquisitive, brave, intelligent, he has likes and dislikes. People like to wave this big flag of how alien the Doctor is, but it's basically just a load of boll...ards.

Yes, he has an alien physiology and has been around for a veeeeeery long time - but when push comes to shove, it's his half-human side that generally rules his head. So when he fell in love with Rose... he fell in love with her. It doesn't have to be justified or explained (just like Time Lord relationships didn't need all that Lungbarrow loom nonsense... Cos God forbid Time Lords might actually have sex, right!!? ) It's just the Doc doing what he's always done. Having feelings. And there's no crime (or cooties) in that.
    Time Lords can and should have sex. Full heartfelt relationships with people who don't even perceive things the way they do are a different thing altogether.

With that said, I'm perfectly fine with River Song or Romana or even some amount of Missy-shipping only because they can more than hold their own with the Doctor. If it's some other alien or immortal with similar or comparable experience, like Jabe and the Ninth Doctor, then go for it. Otherwise, he's coming in to a relationship with an inherently imbalanced power dynamic (again, thanks to his endless knowledge and unimaginable experience) that would make the relationship very uneven and rocky. Plus, he likes to assume authority. This is why there are rules and laws regarding things like teacher/student relationships (even in college where they're both adults where it's not expressly forbidden, a college will still have tons of stipulations for guidelines), or why companies and militaries either forbid or urge employees to tread carefully regarding superior/subordinate relationships -- and that's just between humans. A 19 year old with a 45 year old is already questionable enough, nevermind someone twenty times older and supposedly hundreds of times smarter than that.

I acknowledge the bond between Rose and Ten. I'm just not a fan of it, even though I like Rose as a companion. Martha and Ten was more realistic to me, emotion-wise. And Donna just simply not being interested in that because they were too different to begin with was kind of a breather after several women pining for Ten.
    Last edited by Cyke; 07-12-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Oh that Half-Human stuff is bollocks and blame it on him being confused due to regeneration which he was when 8 said it.

It's more than two hearts the mind of a Time Lord almost killed Donna and would had if she kept that knowledge. That's how different they are from humans this is a race who can change gender and personality it's beyond human they're beyond human. Could Rose love 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 12, or could the Doctor settle down and play house when Rose was in her golden years? Time Lord's look Human but aren't and what the Doctor would call love is probably greatly different than the human idea of Romantic love and spending a life together.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post

Couldn't agree with you more
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I acknowledge the bond between Rose and Ten. I'm just not a fan of it, even though I like Rose as a companion. Martha and Ten was more realistic to me, emotion-wise. And Donna just simply not being interested in that because they were too different to begin with was kind of a breather after several women pining for Ten.
    Yeah, there were absolutely no sparks between him and Donna. But she was a great companion.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    That's completely inaccurate. It was obvious that 10 loved Rose. He started to tell her that he loved her but before he could finish, he got cut off (remember when he was using the power of a sun to send a hologram of himself to communicate with her in the alternate universe?)
    But I was talking about the 9th Doctor not the 10th--her feelings go unrequited from the 9th Doctor. Read what I wrote again, I think you missed the whole point that I was making.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Could Rose love 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 12, or could the Doctor settle down and play house when Rose was in her golden years? Time Lord's look Human but aren't and what the Doctor would call love is probably greatly different than the human idea of Romantic love and spending a life together.
    This is the shallow bit in me, but I love that Three's attitude is "I look so good that I'm not stopping for anyone."

Sure, there was that sadness in the end about losing Jo in the Green Death, but what did he do? He drove off into the sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    But I was talking about the 9th Doctor not the 10th--her feelings go unrequited from the 9th Doctor. Read what I wrote again, I think you missed the whole point that I was making.
    Sorry Jim, I did misread it. I thought you were saying something else.

Retired

Another thing occurs to me and it's a retcon--but it's a retcon from the show. The War Doctor meets the Moment looking like Rose Tyler to him, even though he hasn't met Rose yet. And soon after that he regenerates into Nine. I think of Nine as having very recently regenerated when he first meets Rose (then he goes on travels through time).

Now, he doesn't consciously remember the Moment, I guess, but there might be some latent memory. So that could explain why Nine is so interested in Rose. Also, because of non-linear time, Bad Wolf is already interfering in their timelines. So it's kind of like what happens with Clara later--and to a lesser degree River Song. Nine has good reason to think Rose must be important to him, he just doesn't know why.