Page 219 of 581 FirstFirst ... 119169209215216217218219220221222223229269319 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,285 of 8710

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Oh that Half-Human stuff is bollocks and blame it on him being confused due to regeneration which he was when 8 said it.
    Nah. It's canon. And is still yet to be explicitly refuted or disproved. Until it is, the Doctor is Half Human.

But even if hypothetically he isn't....

It's more than two hearts the mind of a Time Lord almost killed Donna and would had if she kept that knowledge. That's how different they are from humans this is a race who can change gender and personality it's beyond human they're beyond human. Could Rose love 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 12, or could the Doctor settle down and play house when Rose was in her golden years? Time Lord's look Human but aren't and what the Doctor would call love is probably greatly different than the human idea of Romantic love and spending a life together.
    See that's my point. Imbuing the Doctor with this wholly other-worldly quality that he demonstrably doesn't have. The Doctor isn't Vulcan, he's Gallifreyan. And they fall in love just like us... sometimes with the unlikeliest of partners.

Oh that Half-Human stuff is bollocks and blame it on him being confused due to regeneration which he was when 8 said it.

It's more than two hearts the mind of a Time Lord almost killed Donna and would had if she kept that knowledge. That's how different they are from humans this is a race who can change gender and personality it's beyond human they're beyond human. Could Rose love 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 12, or could the Doctor settle down and play house when Rose was in her golden years? Time Lord's look Human but aren't and what the Doctor would call love is probably greatly different than the human idea of Romantic love and spending a life together.
    I don't deny that Time Lords aren't very different or that they probably wouldn't have been able to make a relationship work. All I am saying is that I think the show made it pretty obvious that he ended up falling in love with her. He didn't view her as a puppy. It was far more than that. Doesn't mean he thinks they have a future together or that them dating is a good idea... but in the least I think it means he wishes that it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Time Lords can and should have sex. Full heartfelt relationships with people who don't even perceive things the way they do are a different thing altogether.

With that said, I'm perfectly fine with River Song or Romana or even some amount of Missy-shipping only because they can more than hold their own with the Doctor. If it's some other alien or immortal with similar or comparable experience, like Jabe and the Ninth Doctor, then go for it. Otherwise, he's coming in to a relationship with an inherently imbalanced power dynamic (again, thanks to his endless knowledge and unimaginable experience) that would make the relationship very uneven and rocky. Plus, he likes to assume authority. This is why there are rules and laws regarding things like teacher/student relationships (even in college where they're both adults where it's not expressly forbidden, a college will still have tons of stipulations for guidelines), or why companies and militaries either forbid or urge employees to tread carefully regarding superior/subordinate relationships -- and that's just between humans. A 19 year old with a 45 year old is already questionable enough, nevermind someone twenty times older and supposedly hundreds of times smarter than that.

I acknowledge the bond between Rose and Ten. I'm just not a fan of it, even though I like Rose as a companion. Martha and Ten was more realistic to me, emotion-wise. And Donna just simply not being interested in that because they were too different to begin with was kind of a breather after several women pining for Ten.
    All that is certainly good reasons why a relationship between them isn't necessarily a good idea. But it really didn't effect them falling in love with each other at all. Their relationship on the show worked very well (IMO at least). It's not like they ever actually got romantically involved... he simply developed romantic feelings for her. And that can believably happen when you're literally only hanging out with one other person. I'd almost argue after a certain point it would become inevitable.

Actually the Doctor being half human has been disproved when Donna became Doctor Donna. He told her the metacrisis is why there has never been a mixing of Time Lord and human. Rumor Time: The next Doctor may not be revealed at Christmas instead we may have to wait until the start of the next season.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Nah. It's canon. And is still yet to be explicitly refuted or disproved.
    Yep. Remember in Heaven Bent they were talking about the prophecy that a hybrid would destroy Gallifrey, and the Doctor and Ashildr had a conversation about it possibly being the Doctor since he was half Time Lord/half human and therefore a "hybrid".

We can go back even further to the movie and the Master hints at him being half human and the Doctor says later on in the movie "I'm half human". Some can say he was being facetious, but the Master certainly wasn't. And the Time Lords from Hell Bent were serious too.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't deny that Time Lords aren't very different or that they probably wouldn't have been able to make a relationship work. All I am saying is that I think the show made it pretty obvious that he ended up falling in love with her. He didn't view her as a puppy. It was far more than that. Doesn't mean he thinks they have a future together or that them dating is a good idea... but in the least I think it means he wishes that it was.
    Right. 10 never (nor any of the other incarnations for that matter) viewed the companions as puppies. That's offensive. They were very dear, close friends.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Kaled View Post
    Actually the Doctor being half human has been disproved when Donna became Doctor Donna. He told her the metacrisis is why there has never been a mixing of Time Lord and human. Rumor Time: The next Doctor may not be revealed at Christmas instead we may have to wait until the start of the next season.
    I heard that rumor and I hope it isn't true. It's bad enough we have to wait until Christmas.

Actually the Doctor being half human has been disproved when Donna became Doctor Donna.
    Ah, but it wasn't. It was the ideal opportunity to do so given the circumstances, but RTD's script still skirted around the issue. For one thing, the Xerox-Doc always refers to himself as being part human rather than half.

He told her the metacrisis is why there has never been a mixing of Time Lord and human.
    He actually tells Donnna that "There's never been a human Time Lord metacrisis before now. And you know why. " And a metacrisis is a completely different thing to simply having a human parent. Also at that point, The Doctor is specifically talking about Donna's side of the Metacrisis, with that whole his-brain-in-her-mind situation having some consequences.

At the end of the day, if people wanna believe the Doc is half-human or not, I think it's basically up to them. Yes, the TVM said that he was - and not just via the Doctor's confession, but the Master confirmed it. But people have come up with a bunch of theories over the years to discount that (the 8th Doc is half human cos of the surgery; the Doctor was tricking the Master because reasons; etc, etc) so if it's not in someone's personal canon, that's cool.

But certainly as far the show goes, the possibility does still exist. And at the end of the day....

ASHILDR: By your own reasoning, why couldn't the Hybrid be half Time Lord, half human? Tell me, Doctor, I've always wondered. You're a Time Lord, you're a high-born Gallifreyan. Why is it you spend so much time on Earth?

THE DOCTOR: That's your best theory? I'm the Hybrid? I ran away from Gallifrey because I was afraid of myself? That doesn't make any sense.

ASHILDR: It makes perfect sense, and you know it. Am I right? Is it true?

THE DOCTOR: Does it matter?

This is the shallow bit in me, but I love that Three's attitude is "I look so good that I'm not stopping for anyone."

Sure, there was that sadness in the end about losing Jo in the Green Death, but what did he do? He drove off into the sunset.
    That entire sequence is beautifully done. The party with Dr Loves-Fungi-Too-Much and Jo celebrating their engagement, the Doctor standing at the back, smiling a little sad smile and then slipping out. The last shot a silhouette style pan of the Doctor driving away in Bessie.

And Bessie needs to make a showing. Bessie is awesome.

Edit: Oh look, the BBC has the clip on Youtube

https://youtu.be/veI1_9rulGY
    Last edited by Matt; 07-12-2017 at 05:57 PM.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Nah. It's canon. And is still yet to be explicitly refuted or disproved. Until it is, the Doctor is Half Human.

But even if hypothetically he isn't....

See that's my point. Imbuing the Doctor with this wholly other-worldly quality that he demonstrably doesn't have. The Doctor isn't Vulcan, he's Gallifreyan. And they fall in love just like us... sometimes with the unlikeliest of partners.

That being said, both of the provided Gallifreyans are either young and naive (Susan) or generally pretty daft (Andred?).
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    Sarah Jane was in love with the Doctor. .
    Not back in the TOS she wasn't. That is just Millenial Nonsense that RTD put in the show just to bring up silly melodramatic nonsense for the Nu Fans.

Time Lords can and should have sex. Full heartfelt relationships with people who don't even perceive things the way they do are a different thing altogether.

It is reasoning like this that I can no longer watch this show.

Spectacular Member

The way Sarah leaves the Tardis is that of a woman who is in love with a man that will not say I love you back. Time Lords can have sex, how do you think you get Time Lords out of thin air?

Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    The way Sarah leaves the Tardis is that of a woman who is in love with a man that will not say I love you back. Time Lords can have sex, how do you think you get Time Lords out of thin air?
    The Looms?

As for the Doctor being half-human he said it during a regeneration where he was confused. Also the Doctor lies and he's not the best source of information. I mean how old is he? Because he was already well into his 9 hundreds in old Who.

Also referring to humans as "puppies" as a metaphor when comparing to Time Lords isn't insulting. They are an ancient race who have mastered time and space it's insulting and human vanity and self importance to believe we are equal to them.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 07-13-2017 at 06:35 AM.

Retired

There's also the fact that Time Lords tend to live hundreds if not thousands of years just within one incarnation. Against that, humans have very short lives. The Earth people who stand a chance with the Doctor are those that have something extra going for them that suggests they might last awhile.