Page 239 of 582 FirstFirst ... 139189229235236237238239240241242243249289339 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,585 of 8717

Needs a pronoun adjustment, but still holds true it seems.

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

LOL. So true!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I'd be in for a Netflix about Kate Bishop.
    I'd want Clint with Kate for a season one.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Needs a pronoun adjustment, but still holds true it seems.

LOL! LOL! LOL! I'm hoping that there will be several servings of Kentucky Fried Crow to some of Ms. Whittaker's haters!

Quote Originally Posted by KoriandrJean View Post
    LOL! LOL! LOL! I'm hoping that there will be several servings of Kentucky Fried Crow to some of Ms. Whittaker's haters!
    But what if she isn't that great of a Doctor? That possibility is there. Especially if they push the Gender Politics too much.

I usually know if I'll like a Doctor from the start of their first episode. I liked 9, 11, and 12 from their pilot episodes and disliked 10. After DT left I kept loving him in other stuff and went back to watch 10 and yeah I disliked that version. Now old Who was different because I was watching after it aired so I could pick and choose my stories and thus never got tired of any Doctor and never disliked any.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The new show runner is in a good spot. If the new Doctor is not a hit he can just blame the people who hate the idea of a female Doctor regardless if the stories are actually any good or not.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    But what if she isn't that great of a Doctor? That possibility is there. Especially if they push the Gender Politics too much.
    Which is my major concern. I'd love to be proven wrong on this. I really would. However, as you said, what if she isn't that great of a Doctor? What if the direction is so far from whats expected of the show that audiences switch off?

There was nothing stopping DC from making Superman's identity public knowledge in the comics. So they did it two years ago. It was too much of a departure that readers left the book and it took a nosedive. So they had to change it back again. They gave Spider-man organic web-shooters to tie in with the Raimi films. That didn't last long.

Its a huge gamble. I'm not knocking Jodie or Chibnall. I'm just worried it might not fly with the public. In the past, if a Doctor didn't fly they just regenerated him. Here there is much more to lose. The show might be written off by the public. Jodie will have a blemish against her name like Colin did in the 80’s, and it wouldn't even be her fault.

Most importantly, though, if the direction fails it might possibly close the door on another female being cast and could hamper any chance of getting a person of colour in there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The new show runner is in a good spot. If the new Doctor is not a hit he can just blame the people who hate the idea of a female Doctor regardless if the stories are actually any good or not.
    He can. However we all know where the blame will be directed: On Jodie. Which wouldn't be fair in my opinion. Same as Colin didn't deserve the shit he copped in the 80’s.

i liked broadchurch so i'm open to giving chibnall a chance even if i enjoyed broadchurch more than his episodes on Dr Who.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Most importantly, though, if the direction fails it might possibly close the door on another female being cast and could hamper any chance of getting a person of colour in there.
    So you're saying they should never cast a female Doctor because it could diminish the possibility of them casting a female Doctor.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    So you're saying they should never cast a female Doctor because it could diminish the possibility of them casting a female Doctor.

Yeah, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

Ultimately, I think a lot of it will come down to the writing. I wasn't a big fan of either Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy, but that might have been more to do with the way the character was written than them personally. Baker's Doctor especially was just an annoying pratt, but that is the role he was given to play.

If they can just resist the urge to club people over the head with gender politics they should be fine. Taking a leaf from the recent mega-success of the Wonder Woman movie, there is not one occasion where Gal Gadot's Diana ever launches into a diatribe of the evils of sexism. It's not that her character is not confronted with sexism, it's just that rather than giving a speech about it she just does what she does and wins people over by virtue of her abilities. Even when she berates the generals in English command its for their actions, not because they are men. She simply does not see gender as an issue at all.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post

No. I never said that at all. I just said that, if it doesn't go over well, the BBC might write it off. Its a possibility. I'm not saying it will happen, but i can’t not say it won't either.

I don’t care who, or what, the Doctor is. I'm not wishing for it to fail. If it works, I'll be relieved, and will be the first one to come here and sing praises. Are you willing to do the same if it doesn't work? Because I don't see why i should be attacked by you, or others, for voicing legitimate concerns. I'm looking at things from both sides of the fence.

Heres some advice: Take your blinders off and try to approach this subjectively. I want Doctor Who to continue to thrive. In whatever forms that may be. Heck, they could hire a transvestite for all i care.

I'm getting sick to death of being attacked for sharing concerns. I'm a fan, too. Right? I have an opinion. Same as you do. I haven't run out to my back shed, grabbed a pitch fork, and travelled to England to storm the BBC offices and demand a bloke be hired like a contingent of fans out there. I value your opinion, i haven’t attacked you.

You and Carabas say you are the shining example of Who fans? Prove it by not coming here and being such assholes to people who just share concerns.

Don't care if i get banned for this comment either. You two have been atrocious this past week. To the point I'm prepared to just pack it in and not associate myself with Doctor Who anymore. Not because of who the actor is, but because of the toxic attitudes expressed by both camps this past week. It absolutely sickens me it does.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 07-20-2017 at 04:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    No. I never said that at all. I just said that, if it doesn't go over well, the BBC might right it off. Its a possibility. I'm not saying it will happen, but i can’t not say it won't either.

I don’t care who, or what, the Doctor is. I'm not wishing for it to fail. If it works, I'll be relieved and be the first one to come here and sing praises. Are you willing to do the same if it doesn't work? Because I don't see why i should be attacked by you, or others, for voicing concerns. I'm looking at things for both sides.

Heres some advice: Take your blinders off and try to approach this subjectively. I want Doctor Who to continue to thrive. In whatever forms that may be. Heck, they could hire a transvestite for all i care.

I'm getting sick to death of being attacked for sharing concerns. I'm a fan, too. Right? I have an opinion. Same as you do. I haven't run out to my back shed, grabbed a pitch fork, and travelled to England to storm the BBC offices and demand a bloke be hire like a contingent of fans out there. I value your opinion, i haven’t attacked you.

You and Carabas say you are the shining example of Who fans? Prove it by not coming here and being such assholes to people who just share concerns.

Don't care if i get banned for this comment either. You two have been atrocious this past week. To the point I'm prepare to just pack it in and not associate myself with Doctor Who anymore. Not because of who the actor is, but because of the toxic attitudes expressed by both camps this past week. It absolutely sickens me it does.
    Yeah, I have tried several times to do the "No Blinders On" thing ever since Nu-WHO first started...but it just never worked for me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flyattractor View Post
    Yeah, I have tried several times to do the "No Blinders On" thing ever since Nu-WHO first started...but it just never worked for me.
    All I've done is raise some concerns. However I've been labelled every vile thing this week. For what? Saying its a huge gamble that could be the absolute brilliant bit of casting, or that it could prove to be disastrous. I love Jodie and i was championing Chibnall to become showrunner when every body was dissing him years ago. Yet I've been called a bigot and misogynist for sharing these concerns. While other fans have savaged me for highlight the merits of Jodie and Chris.

I'm just saying people are getting ahead of themselves. This could go either way. Heaven forbid someone try to point it out around here or anywhere else on the net. I'm not a fan? Right, so explain why i have invested enough money to buy a house on Dr Who related paraphernalia. Because obviously I have no interest in the show.

People saying little girls can't find something of merit in Dr Who because the lead isn't female? Thats a piss poor excuse and is an absolute crock. So why the hell have females been watching the show for 50 odd years? I loved Buffy BECAUSE she kicked ass. So, using this argument, the lead had to be male for me to identify with the character? Of course not. See how stupid it sounds, but that's one of the reasons used to justify the casting.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 07-20-2017 at 12:54 AM.