Page 255 of 581 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256257258259265305355 ... LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,825 of 8711

Do you all remember your first exposure to Doctor Who? Mine was back in 2005 with 'The Unquiet Dead' - I went round to a friend's house and watched it with him and his Mum. Please don't chase me out, but I thought that it was boring the first time
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

BANNED

Some part of Earthshock...

I randomly caught it while browsing channels, watched it for ten minutes or so before deciding this was godawfully boring and moved on to something else.
    Davison is still my second least favourite Doctor.

Didn't see anything of it again until McCoy's second series, which hooked me instantly.

Astonishing Member

At a friend's house in 2005, 2006 it must be, with Rose and The End of the World. It was just background noise to me then, but I got more seriously into it with Silence in the Library in 2009/2010, and made my first foray into the Classic Series with The Hand of Fear.

Astonishing Member

The official continuation of Torchwood is out! I know it's not on TV, many whiners on Facebook have griped about it, but it's the next best thing.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/tor...g-us---out-now

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Do you all remember your first exposure to Doctor Who?
    It's fuzzy. I have a distinct memory of being scared by the hand in a lunchbox from The Hand of Fear. Not sure if that was the episode's first airing or a subsequent repeat, as I would only have been three when tHoF first aired. I think I became aware of the show in the late seventies and I probably watched some of it. I say probably because I do remember hiding behind... not the sofa but one of those 80's big cabinet thingies. The strange thing is though, I don't remember ever hiding from anything actually on the show. I just always hid during the title sequence cos that bit when Tom's face would appear and then would go a bit negative as it faded out used to really, really scare me.

My first conscious memories of watching the show "properly" don't start until Logopolis and primarily going into Peter's reign. That's when I remember actually sitting down to watch every week and being fully aware of what was going on. Also, the star effect title sequence wasn't scary.
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 08-11-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Some of the missing stories when you hear them do benefit if you have your own imagination to make those 60's stories more epic, but honestly many Hartnells and Troughtons hold up pretty well. The tech might have been lacking but many of the stories make up for it. You might want to listen to the adaption of the Crusade book actually, read by William Russell, which was my introduction to the story and expanded it wonderfully. Aztecs would be a good alternative for Crusade for a pure historical. I like Romans but it's a bit more comedy based than some of the other historicals. For Troughton I also could have opted for Evil of the Daleks, Web of Fear, The Mind Robber, The Invasion and The War Games. But Tomb's my fav Cybermen story and also the first full use of the lovely and late Deborah Watling as Victoria.
    The Aztecs is one of my favourite Hartnells, and has been since I first saw it. The Romans is a little too farcical to actually want more than one story in this vein per season, but as a one-off I really enjoy it and it always holds my attention.The Daleks, though rather long, I've grown to like despite finding it boring on my first watch, and like Aztecs, was considered when I wanted to add a Hartnell.

Tomb is so great, it is easily my favourite surviving Troughton, though I do appreciate The War Games; I'm also a Victoria fan, so again, that helps.

Curse of Peladon is one of my fav Pertwee stories, I just adore the blend of gothic medieval and sci-fi and how well they create the world and politics surrounding an alien planet. Plus Ice Warriors. Definitely give it another try!
    Will do.
    Totally agree about Caves, it's well deserving of it's rank as best Who story in my opinion. Peter got to go all out and also have some great chemistry with Nichola Bryant, which breaks my heart they didn't have more onscreen stories together, and glad that Big Finish has helped rectify that. Plus the whole cast is fantastic and Sharaz Jek the masked villain is one of the best villains the show has had. (Sutekh being another, hence why I picked Pyramids of Mars, though I would definitely consider Talons for Hinchcliffe's era as well).
    I completely agree about Peri & 5, I think they had great chemistry and were also helped by not having other companions in the mix, so yeah, would have loved to see a few more episodes with the two of them together. Missed opportunity.

Ghostlight is a good story, especially for Ace, I found it pretty confusing at times when I saw it the first time, maybe I need another watch. Battlefield and Survival as well... Classic Who's final season was surprisingly decent.

Yeah, it's not like I dislike the 8th Doctor and the TV Movie is better than some people make it out to be, but the TV Movie is not his best stuff. If I was sneaking one of his audios in then definitely Chimes of Midnight.
    McGann was a great choice for the Doctor and I think had the series gone ahead it would have sorted itself out quite quickly and been successful. The pilot suffered from trying to do too much and trying to redefine the show too much instead of just letting it be.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Do you all remember your first exposure to Doctor Who? Mine was back in 2005 with 'The Unquiet Dead' - I went round to a friend's house and watched it with him and his Mum. Please don't chase me out, but I thought that it was boring the first time
    I don't remember the exact episode, but it was during the 4th Doctor's run back in the 70's when I was a kid.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Do you all remember your first exposure to Doctor Who?
    Watching the (at the time) avaliable Episodes of The Chase, and The Mind Robber on an old B&W portable TV set while watching PBS at like 4 in the morning in the very late 70's or extreme early 80's. Biggest star to me from both was the Tardis. It was the most Awesome "Space Ship" I had ever seen, and it still is.

I know I watched Jon Pertwee in the early seventies, but the earliest thing I remember is Planet of the Spiders, and only a vague scene or two. I wasn't interested in Tom Baker very much (I think I watched Man from Atlantis on ITV instead), though I do remember The Invasion of Time. I didn't become a fan until I saw the second half of the Earthshock omnibus repeated in the summer - it unexpectedly blew me away and I hurriedly started reading the Target novelisations.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I believe it was a combo of factors which got me into Who during the early 90's, mainly being my dad who was a fan of the show in the 60's and also a friend of mine whose brother had collected the large majority of stories on VHS. I remember seeing the Peter Cushing Dalek movies when I was about 4 and bursting into tears at the scene where they manage to trap the Dalek into the cell and separate him from the floor because I got distressed at the Dalek's own cries of distress, funnily enough. I guess when I was 4 I found the Daleks more adorably awesome than scary.

Then when I was older around the 30th aniversary I bought The Five Doctors on VHS, assuming since it had a bit of all the Doctors I could figure out which ones I liked best, thought it was so continuity heavy I imagine a lot of it went over my head. I know I immediately was drawn to the Third Doctor and Fifth Doctor because those remain in my top three Doctors today along with the Tenth Doctor, though honestly I like all the incarnations and eras of Who! But I started to borrow some stories on VHS from my friend, all sorts of random episodes and adventures, though Dalek and Cybermen stories always ranked heavily when I was a kid! Then I got excited to learn that the BBC was going to repeat lots of Pertwee and T Baker stories on Saturdays, so I got to see a lot of those stories live. And at some point I found some Target stories in the library and read those.

I remember when I was 7 they replayed The Green Death and my 4 year old sister had a terrible nightmare about Giant Maggots crawling up her bed, the poor thing. Then some weeks later was Pyramids of Mars and I can definitely recall leaping behind the sofa when Sutekh's eyes glowed green and he pinned the Fourth Doctor against the wall. Sutekh for those who don't know has this awesome whispering voice of velvet evil, which given the fact he is a dark god is very ideal and was played by Gabriel Wolfe (he also did the voice of the Beast in The Satan Pit). But he's always been a favorite villain of mine.

Anyway, when the series finally came back I was already 18 but I enjoyed watching much of the new series with Tennant at university.

My dad and mom liked the show and they used to show it on PBS.

My first Doctor was the Fifth.

I remember seeing the celery thinking this is dumb. This is going to be silly.

But then I remember really like it.

My love of the Fifth might be why I don't like Ten as much as others.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 08-11-2017 at 03:36 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

“Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Tennant approved means I'm all for it!

(Also curious if the rumors about Kris Bishop being her companion instead of the new Doctor are true.)