Page 266 of 581 FirstFirst ... 166216256262263264265266267268269270276316366 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 3,990 of 8711
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Because it doesn't have a spin-off series on BBC3 and a huge great exhibition devoted to it? Or because some YouTubers have moved on?

No.
    A spin-off that is now cancelled and an exhibition that is closing (although that is due to them losing the building they are in.)

The show will suffer atrophy the longer it goes on. That is natural for long-running shows. However a problem arises in that many may see Dr Who as old hat. Same old, same old. Then you have those who have grown accustomed to the show being a fixture on screens since 2005. Many who can't remember a time when it WASN'T on. Those people naturally assume its long-term survival is a given.

A drastic change in head writer and an addition of a female lead should herald a boost. Hopefully the BBC invests time and effort in promoting Dr Who. The show earns them enough. Lately though, Dr Who just doesn't appear to be in the spotlight like it was. It needs to be brought back there again.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I've been looking forward to The Silurian Candidate. Hopefully it delivers. Time In Office is a bit of a dark horse in my eyes. Shall have to see how to goes.
    Both of them are great. Time in Office has a lot of very funny scenes.

Astonishing Member

The Silurian Candidate:
    The year is 2085, and planet Earth remains on the edge of a nuclear precipice. At any moment, either of two vast rival power blocs, to the West and the East, might unleash a torrent of missiles, bringing about the terrible certainty of Mutual Assured Destruction.

But there is another way – or so Professor Ruth Drexler believes. Hence her secret mission deep in Eastern bloc territory, to uncover a hidden city, never before glimpsed by human eyes: the Parliament of the Silurians, the lizard people who ruled the Earth before humankind.

There, she’ll encounter a time-travelling Doctor, who knows the Silurians well. A Doctor on a secret mission of his own.

Time in Office:
    The Doctor's adventures in time and space are over. The Time Lords have recalled him to Gallifrey – but what he faces on his home planet is worse than any trial. Following the disappearance of President Borusa, the High Council condemned him to the highest office - and he can't evade his responsibilities a nanosecond longer...

So all hail the Lord High President! All hail President Doctor!

Rassilon save him. This time, there's really no escape.

These titles are exclusive to purchase through Big Finish until the end of October. All releases are like this for a couple of months, because Big Finish needs that money more than Amazon and other third-party retailers do as they are the company actually producing the stories.

If you get either of these stories as part of a subscription you'll get the script in PDF format, a longer behind the scenes interviews track and a free short story featuring the First Doctor and Steven.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    Both of them are great. Time in Office has a lot of very funny scenes.
    I won't get to these for awhile. Both have been ordered via my local comic shop. Glad to hear they are both great. How come Time In Office was released? We got the three 5th Doctor stories and the 7th now. 6th is next in the pipeline. Plus we had those three 2 story releases for each Doctor.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I won't get to these for awhile. Both have been ordered via my local comic shop. Glad to hear they are both great. How come Time In Office was released? We got the three 5th Doctor stories and the 7th now. 6th is next in the pipeline. Plus we had those three 2 story releases for each Doctor.
    Starting in 2005 Big Finish started releasing two stories in September, to tie into the Doctor Who Magazine release schedule. Starting in 2007 there have been yearly anthology releases, usually four one episode stories. When Big Finish started releasing the Main Range stories in trilogies this was a natural keep. There have been a few exceptions. Specifically 1001 Nights in 2012 (the set-up is Nyssa telling stories to the Sultan Arabian Nights style), Afterlife (a regular story bridging the 2012 and 2014 Seventh Doctor trilogies) and Time in Office (four different scenarios the Fifth Doctor, Tegan and Leela deal with when the Doctor is forced to be Lord President of Gallifrey).

The anthologies are a good way to get more writers in, and if they can get a whole story in half an hour then they might be able to move on to a single disc or two disc story. There are some absolute gems, including Circular Time: Autumn, Forty-Five: The Word Lord, The Company of Friends: Mary's Story, The Demons of Red Lodge: Special Features (takes the form of a DVD commentary recording for an old horror film) and Breaking Bubbles: The Curious Incident of the Doctor in the Night-Time.

This year mixed it up for the Fifth/Sixth/Seventh Doctor trilogy, with each release being a double feature comprised of two 2 episode stories.

BANNED

David Bradley and the "Adventure In Space and Time Cast" have officially inherited the roles of their Classic series characters for Big Finish...and they'll even face the first incarnation of The Master

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/david-b...ures-86198.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    The Silurian Candidate:
    The year is 2085, and planet Earth remains on the edge of a nuclear precipice. At any moment, either of two vast rival power blocs, to the West and the East, might unleash a torrent of missiles, bringing about the terrible certainty of Mutual Assured Destruction.

But there is another way – or so Professor Ruth Drexler believes. Hence her secret mission deep in Eastern bloc territory, to uncover a hidden city, never before glimpsed by human eyes: the Parliament of the Silurians, the lizard people who ruled the Earth before humankind.

There, she’ll encounter a time-travelling Doctor, who knows the Silurians well. A Doctor on a secret mission of his own.

Time in Office:
    The Doctor's adventures in time and space are over. The Time Lords have recalled him to Gallifrey – but what he faces on his home planet is worse than any trial. Following the disappearance of President Borusa, the High Council condemned him to the highest office - and he can't evade his responsibilities a nanosecond longer...

So all hail the Lord High President! All hail President Doctor!

Rassilon save him. This time, there's really no escape.

These titles are exclusive to purchase through Big Finish until the end of October. All releases are like this for a couple of months, because Big Finish needs that money more than Amazon and other third-party retailers do as they are the company actually producing the stories.

If you get either of these stories as part of a subscription you'll get the script in PDF format, a longer behind the scenes interviews track and a free short story featuring the First Doctor and Steven.

Sounds like the Doctor did take them up on that offer at the end of "Five Doctors" after all (Well, at least prior to "Hell bent" where it happened yet again)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

So excited for new full cast audios with the original crew of the TARDIS, plus First Doctor vs the Master, ohhhhhh. My only nitpick is a hope this doesn't mean they're going to stop doing audios with William Russell and Carole Ann Ford altogether.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    So excited for new full cast audios with the original crew of the TARDIS, plus First Doctor vs the Master, ohhhhhh. My only nitpick is a hope this doesn't mean they're going to stop doing audios with William Russell and Carole Ann Ford altogether.
    Yeah, that's going to be amazing!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Sounds like the Doctor did take them up on that offer at the end of "Five Doctors" after all (Well, at least prior to "Hell bent" where it happened yet again)
    It's set during the final episode of Frontios, after he and Tegan leave the Gravis on an uninhabited planet. The TARDIS is intercepted by the Time Lords, redirected to Gallifrey and the Doctor is forced to take up his presidential duties.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I see it more as being supplementary material. We know the Early Adventures are planned out until 2020, I believe. So the First Doctor will still be represented there. This is its own thing. Although it is still possible this could be a test to see how well it goes over with fans, before moving them over to do the Early Adventures.

So after getting 8 of the Charley's War HCs for £45 including postage, I just got 17 NSA books for £24, so 70p each. Today has been a damned good day

Also, are there any good DW audio books that aren't £13?! I was looking at the newer ones discussed above, but maybe I should've checked for others haha
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    So after getting 8 of the Charley's War HCs for £45 including postage, I just got 17 NSA books for £24, so 70p each. Today has been a damned good day

Also, are there any good DW audio books that aren't £13?! I was looking at the newer ones discussed above, but maybe I should've checked for others haha
    There is. It depends on whether you prefer physical over download. The first 50 monthly range titles are out of print. The CDs for those can be pricey on the secondary market. However the downloads are still offered by Big Finish and can be snapped up for an incredibly low price.

Go to Big Finish and click on the range list. Go to Big Finish for a Fiver. That is the best bet if you want to grab some cheap Dr Who audios. There are some really great ones on offer - I, Davros is essential. The Maltese Penguin as well.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

The villains trilogy of Omega, Davros and Master, Chimes of Midnight and Spare Parts are all cheap and essential additions to any audio library of Who.

Thanks for the input both of you, I may have to treat myself^^
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”