Page 286 of 582 FirstFirst ... 186236276282283284285286287288289290296336386 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,290 of 8718
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I liked her but she did feel superflous to the box's set story. Maybe the others might do more with her?
    It is four box sets at least, so hopefully there'll be some better character work with Bliss. John Dorney is a master at character pieces, just look at Absent Friends or Ship in a Bottle with the Eighth Doctor.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    With Greatest Show, that giant robot (even half buried by sand) must not have been cheap to set up.
    They went a bit wild with the explosions on Greatest Show. One of the bus conductors was packed with that much explosives that, when it went bang, it sent pieces flying sky high. The part where the Doctor left the tent (after defeating the Gods of Ragnarok) was also much bigger than expected.

I love Greatest Show.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Of course, this leads to be interesting discussion topic.

What do you regard as the worst example of special effects ever in Doctor Who?

I immediately think of:
    The dinosaurs from the 3rd Doctor story Invasion of the Dinosaurs. Plastic figures from a nearby supermarket?
    Attachment 60120

The Myrka from the 5th Doctor story Warriors of the Deep. Two poor schlubs in a modified horse costume.
    Attachment 60121
    Robot had some shocking CSO shots. The size of the K1 Robot is inconsistent after it grows in size. Also, due to the issues with the CSO, its legs constantly keep disappearing. The Skarasen from Terror of The Zygons was on par with the dinosaurs featured in Invasion of The Dinosaurs.

I only began watching the special today, and should finish it tomorrow hopefully, so I've been avoiding this thread

I just uploaded a review of the Year One collected editions, having just finished The Twelfth Doctor this morning - I'd be interested to know if you all agree/disagree. In particular, I'm curious if you agree with me about the depiction of The Doctors. I think it is partly because it comes from the TV format and was inevitably not going to feel right, but a couple artists did get it right, so I don't know

P.S. Sorry if my hands whack you in the face through the screen - I work in a science centre and I get very enthusiastic presenting and tend to fling myself around, it rubs off a little bit here

Last edited by Enigma; 12-31-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

I bought the war master box set and the classic doctors new monsters box set 1. Those will probably be my last purchases from big finish in a while, hope they are enough to tide me over.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-01-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Happy New Year to all my fellow Whovians!
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I only began watching the special today, and should finish it tomorrow hopefully, so I've been avoiding this thread

I just uploaded a review of the Year One collected editions, having just finished The Twelfth Doctor this morning - I'd be interested to know if you all agree/disagree. In particular, I'm curious if you agree with me about the depiction of The Doctors. I think it is partly because it comes from the TV format and was inevitably not going to feel right, but a couple artists did get it right, so I don't know

P.S. Sorry if my hands whack you in the face through the screen - I work in a science centre and I get very enthusiastic presenting and tend to fling myself around, it rubs off a little bit here

I look forwarding to watching this Enigma. Might be a few days though
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I look forwarding to watching this Enigma. Might be a few days though
    Haha, no worries! I sort of naturally expect you to have an opinion when it comes to DW, so I look forward to your response
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

With the year ones I ended up enjoying the 10th/11th more than 12th's. That's funny because 12 was my doctor but his comic came out when they were still figuring who he was. 10 and 11 had more freedom to play and the new companions were more interesting.

Ye, I get what you mean. I don't know when they plan to start the Thirteenth Doctor's series, but it would be interesting to see if the same thing happens there. Speaking of, I've seen some prototype art made by current DW artists, and they looked good!

Also... Twice Upon a Time - what a load of crap. That was awful, I was genuinely bored. I did not expect that, I really thought that it would be awesome The only bits I liked were the Leftbridge-Stewart reveal and the regeneration

I think they're heading for a possible late summer/early fall release.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Ye, I get what you mean. I don't know when they plan to start the Thirteenth Doctor's series, but it would be interesting to see if the same thing happens there. Speaking of, I've seen some prototype art made by current DW artists, and they looked good!

Also... Twice Upon a Time - what a load of crap. That was awful, I was genuinely bored. I did not expect that, I really thought that it would be awesome The only bits I liked were the Leftbridge-Stewart reveal and the regeneration
    The trouble with Twice Upon A Time is that it doesn't feel like its own individual episode. For me, it felt like The Doctor Falls 2.0. Upon first viewing, I found it to be very thin on plot. Also, Steven Moffat went out with a whimper instead of a bang.

Having said that, there are quite a few positives. The acting from everybody concerned was phenomenal (Gatiss in particular), and the direction was cinematic in scope. On a technical level, the entire production team was on point. In the end, it was definitely one of the better Christmas Specials.

I hated how Moffat decided to portray the First Doctor here. The First Doctor was never as Misogynistic as he is here. The only occasion in Classic Who where he made politically incorrect comments is when he suggested that Susan needed a "smacked bottom" and for Tegan to help with making teas. I know it was being played for laughs, but it was a gag that fast wore out its welcome. Moffat most likely thought it was a clever bit of writing to have the First Doctor make such comments, only to regenerate into a female at the end of the episode.

With the First and Twelfth Doctors present, one would think Moffat would have used the opportunity to show both of them helping to save Gallifrey. The first time we see Twelve is when he helps save Gallifrey. So it would have brought him full circle in a way to have him do that and regenerate. But yeah, as it stands that is one of Moffat's dangling plot threads never to be tied up.

Retired

Here's the fussy thing for me about having David Bradley--or any actor other than Hartnell--as the First Doctor. And I admit this is fussy. I'm okay with Bradley playing Hartnell in a movie about him. But it's a horse of a different colour when he actually steps into the universe of DOCTOR WHO. And that's because, it's exactly what the producers could have done when they wanted to retire Hartnell. All they had to do was find an actor of the same physical type, give him the wig and the wardrobe, and just pretend they had never changed the character at all. But they didn't do that and they came up with a new idea that proved to be the strength of the series, regeneration--allowing different actors to step into the role and make it their own.

It reminds me of when Roman Brady was replaced on DAYS OF OUR LIVES. Wayne Northrop played the role originally, but then when he left the show Roman had an accident which changed his appearance allowing Drake Hogestyn to become Roman Brady. Then Northrop was brought back onto the show and it was established that Hogestyn only thought he was Roman and he really was a different character. Now that was all fine, but then Northrop left the part again and Josh Taylor came into the role, yet with no explanation this time for the change in his appearance. Which is further confused by the fact that Taylor had played another character previously on DOOL (shades of David Bradley), and then Northrop returned to the series as even another character--but I had stopped watching by that point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Here's the fussy thing for me about having David Bradley--or any actor other than Hartnell--as the First Doctor. And I admit this is fussy. I'm okay with Bradley playing Hartnell in a movie about him. But it's a horse of a different colour when he actually steps into the universe of DOCTOR WHO. And that's because, it's exactly what the producers could have done when they wanted to retire Hartnell. All they had to do was find an actor of the same physical type, give him the wig and the wardrobe, and just pretend they had never changed the character at all. But they didn't do that and they came up with a new idea that proved to be the strength of the series, regeneration--allowing different actors to step into the role and make it their own.
    I can't really tell what your point is here.
    They had a great idea for a story with the first Doctor, and they had a fantastic actor who can play him to a T.

It reminds me of when Roman Brady was replaced on DAYS OF OUR LIVES. Wayne Northrop played the role originally, but then when he left the show Roman had an accident which changed his appearance allowing Drake Hogestyn to become Roman Brady. Then Northrop was brought back onto the show and it was established that Hogestyn only thought he was Roman and he really was a different character. Now that was all fine, but then Northrop left the part again and Josh Taylor came into the role, yet with no explanation this time for the change in his appearance.
    I have a migraine now.

Which is further confused by the fact that Taylor had played another character previously on DOOL (shades of David Bradley), and then Northrop returned to the series as even another character--but I had stopped watching by that point.
    What? Like Colin Baker? Karen Gillan? Freema Agyeman? Nicholas Courtney? Peter Capaldi?

Okay Whovians I have some questions for you. 1) Why is Timelord history only remember from the time of Rassilon? I just listened to the 4th Doctor adventure The Abandoned (3.7) and it mentioned the Dark Crystals of Gallifrey. I have only noticed 2 places where anything Pre-Rassilon mention. One is the President of Gallifrey talking about the Black Scrolls, in The Five Doctors, as knowledge from the Dark Ages (meaning before Rassilon) and in the old New Adventures of Doctor Who series during one of the Cat's Cradle trilogy it describes a scene set right before Gallifrey enters the "enlightened age" where Rassilon meets with a witch/serer. Is it such a barbaric time it cannot be talked about? 2) What was the point of the Time War? I understand it was Russell Davis' way of explaining the tie that Doctor Who was off the air but looking back now it does not make sense. Why bring back Rassilon because he came back nuts? Have the Time Lords forgotten The Hand of Omega, The Great Key or the De-Mat Gun? Those weapons alone would have taken out the Daleks before the war started.