Page 299 of 582 FirstFirst ... 199249289295296297298299300301302303309349399 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,485 of 8718

Has anybody read this? It looks like a Doctor Who episode guide in the style of poetry, if I've understood correctly. I'm curious, but not convinced...

https://www.bookdepository.com/An-El...1550359&sr=1-8
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Last edited by Tony Stark; 03-04-2018 at 01:04 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Clara was removed from the timeline in between heartbeats. Because of the Chronolock, her death is a fixed point. It can't be altered or changed. Eventually, she has to return to Gallifrey to be reinserted at the point from which she was taken out. As a result, she isn't alive since she has no heartbeat. She knows she has to go back and the Time Lords will catch up with her eventually. She is just taking the "long way round."
    "Chronolock?"

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KoriandrJean View Post
    "Chronolock?"
    It's what the Doctor used on Gallifrey to pull Clara out of the time stream one heartbeat from her death.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    This is cool, but I wish they were actual books, instead of Kindle.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Has anybody read this? It looks like a Doctor Who episode guide in the style of poetry, if I've understood correctly. I'm curious, but not convinced...

https://www.bookdepository.com/An-El...1550359&sr=1-8
    This might be the only DW item that doesn't interest me. I'm not a huge fan of poetry. If there's pics in it, I might check it out and possibly get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post

I think a few of the SJA stories were adapted into novels too.

Really liking the retro-style art.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    This is cool, but I wish they were actual books, instead of Kindle.
    They are actual books. They are available for pre-order here in Australia. $19.95 a pop. Shame that, apart from the retro format, we don't get retro prices

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KoriandrJean View Post
    "Chronolock?"
    A Chronolock is the tattoo Rigsy had on him. Once it reaches zero, it summons a Quantum Shade that kills whoever has the mark. That is what the Raven was. It was a means to lure the Doctor there. Once he had that teleportation band placed on him, Me was going to remove the tattoo from Rigsy (The Chronolock could be transferred). However, Clara made the contract Me had in place with the Quantum Shade null and void by taking the mark from Rigsy.

The real person behind the contract, was Rassilon. Who wanted the Doctor as he believed the Doctor had knowledge about a prophecy surrounding the "hybrid." Clara caused her own death by being reckless and trying to act like the Doctor. But the Doctor blamed Rassilon for it (plus Rassilon had him tortured for billions of years in the Confession Dial.) Which is why he got him exiled from Gallifrey.

The Doctor took Clara out of the timeline just before she is killed. But her death is a fixed point. When we saw Clara get killed by the Raven, that is her definite end. That is it for her. She may have been taken out, but she'll eventually have to return to be reinserted into the timeline. Which we know she will do, because we saw her death and what happened after it.

I'm finally getting around to exploring classic Doctor Who, via the 'Best of Tom Baker' series on Itunes. Just finished 'Genesis of the Daleks', loved it, 'The Hand of Fear' next
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Yeah, "Genesis" is pretty much the main highlight of his first season (Although "Ark in space" is also pretty good; "Robot" "Sontaran Experiment" and "Revenge of the Cybermen" have their moments but overall those two are the best).

Tom's second and third seasons are pretty much considered his high point; there's quite a few stories that are inspired in part by horror/monster movies but put a Who kind on twist on them. Sort of "Gothic horror". Suitably, the era ends with "The Talons of Weng-Chiang" which is pretty much the Doctor as Sherlock Holmes.

Starting with his fourth though, the series-in part due to complaints- got a new producer was forced to tone things down a bit although "Horror of Fang Rock" and "Image of the Fendahl" wouldn't have been out of place in the previous seasons.

His fifth season was Who's first real attempt at a season long arc, "The Key To Time". Tom Baker's still a bit goofy in it but overall the production of the season is a lot better than the previous one, and it's also Douglas Adam's first crack at Who.

His sixth, is a bit more silly and low-budget, with the main highlight being "City of Death" in which the Doctor goes to Paris (Which is probably where the budget went) and gets involved in an art caper that's more than it seems.

Tom's final season attempted to make things more serious again, but by going a bit more sci-fi than the gothic horror he started with.

The rest of classic Who, of course, is pretty good as well (although it might depend on some people's tolerance for low production values and certain gaps in what's available, due to a lot of Who unfortunately missing).

A Chronolock is the tattoo Rigsy had on him. Once it reaches zero, it summons a Quantum Shade that kills whoever has the mark. That is what the Raven was. It was a means to lure the Doctor there. Once he had that teleportation band placed on him, Me was going to remove the tattoo from Rigsy (The Chronolock could be transferred). However, Clara made the contract Me had in place with the Quantum Shade null and void by taking the mark from Rigsy.

The real person behind the contract, was Rassilon. Who wanted the Doctor as he believed the Doctor had knowledge about a prophecy surrounding the "hybrid." Clara caused her own death by being reckless and trying to act like the Doctor. But the Doctor blamed Rassilon for it (plus Rassilon had him tortured for billions of years in the Confession Dial.) Which is why he got him exiled from Gallifrey.

The Doctor took Clara out of the timeline just before she is killed. But her death is a fixed point. When we saw Clara get killed by the Raven, that is her definite end. That is it for her. She may have been taken out, but she'll eventually have to return to be reinserted into the timeline. Which we know she will do, because we saw her death and what happened after it.
    You're right. I was thinking of the machine that the Doctor used to pull Clara out of the timestream. My bad

They are actual books. They are available for pre-order here in Australia. $19.95 a pop. Shame that, apart from the retro format, we don't get retro prices
    They must only be available in book format in the UK, because I looked on Amazon in the USA and they're only available in digital format.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    They must only be available in book format in the UK, because I looked on Amazon in the USA and they're only available in digital format.
    That's strange. There might be a delay? Unless the US copies are printed in the States. At any rate, contact places that distribute Doctor Who stuff and see if they can obtain copies for you. But yeah, I am hoping these go down well. I'd love to have further new series episodes novelized. So far it seems there is one story for each new series Doctor (apart from City of Death for the Fourth. Although I suspect Shada may get done in this fashion.) Most Who stories were done by Target. Although Resurrection and Revelation weren't. So hopefully they get a similar treatment down the road.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 03-07-2018 at 04:41 PM.

So Tom Baker's first season as the Doctor is getting not only a full collection, but an HD treatment as well.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2018/03...n-blu-ray.html

It's a bit odd I think, since Tom's first season I think is one of the seasons most reliant on video (Along with "Key to Time" and everything from 23-onward) instead of film, apart from the exterior shots in "Genesis" and the cave footage in "Revenge". Unless they're using something similar to the Eccleston and Tennant seasons, which were still video but given a "film filter" or something like that. (Not sure Who restoration purists would be thrilled with that...)