Page 311 of 581 FirstFirst ... 211261301307308309310311312313314315321361411 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,665 of 8709

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    allons-y

Nice! Great they got him to do a cameo there. The Doctor mash up was just perfect. Funny he mentioned a lightsaber as I've been debating writing a Choose Your Own Adventure game with the Tenth Doctor, Luke Skywalker and Spider-Man all crossing over to each other's universes and the like.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Or the companions have to solve a mystery on their own while the doctor is holed up in the tardis for an episode, like they did in the beginning with david tennant. I’m wondering anout that scene where the doctor is holding her head and screaming; some sort of post regenerative failure? And what is it about the cybermen you don’t think the producers got right?
    They are more like generic robots now. They just run around screaming "delete" or "You will be upgraded." The Cybermen are devoid of emotion, but the best Cybermen are cunning, devious and manipulating. The ones in the Tenth Planet are more articulate than those in the new series. The new ones are just cannon fodder for the most part. I miss the debates against the Cyber Leader/Planner and the Doctor.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think she's still wearing part of Capaldi's outfit in the first scene so it could be some sort of post-regeneration adjusting.

As for the Cybermen, I think the approach the new series has mostly taken is having them be based heavily on the 60's versions who (apart from Tomb of the Cybermen) sort of were more kind of marching tin soldiers for the most part, who often schemed with human allies (Who they often betrayed, of course).

However when the series went to color the Cybermen were pretty much given a more authoritive (and often somewhat emotional) Cyberleader who-along with the Cyberlieutenant-were kind of distinct from the other Cybermen and were kind of an interesting double-act. The Cyberleader sort of had a certain "Darth Vader" ishness to him too.

While there have been Cyberleaders in the new series nothing has really distinguished them, and for the most part they're back to using human allies: Lumic, Hartigan, Missy etc.
    Pretty much this. But I'd wager the new series Cybermen have been used by their human allies and not the other way around. Whereas the old school ones were always manipulating their allies left and right. Tobias Vaughn was a great bad guy, but even someone of his intelligence was easily double crossed by the Cybermen.

I think 'Nightmare in Silver' was the best Cyberman story of the new series, and that was mostly due to Matt Smith's brilliant acting as the possessed half of the Doctor. That and the fact that the Cybermen finally felt like a real threat, not Daleks-lite. Humanity blowing up a whole galaxy to sterilize an Cyber-outbreak? That made the Cybermen into a real threat finally.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Cybermen are at their best when they play up the Frankenstein or the ‘we will survive’ aspect. Them being generic stomping world conquerors never suits them unless survival or ‘you will be like us’ is their primary goal.

That's sort of one thing the 70s and 80's Cybermen stories were kind of missing, with the exception of "Attack of the Cybermen". Earthshock, although still a pretty good story, could've been done with any monster (and it's been argued that sort of happened with "Warriors of the Deep").
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    They are more like generic robots now. They just run around screaming "delete" or "You will be upgraded." The Cybermen are devoid of emotion, but the best Cybermen are cunning, devious and manipulating. The ones in the Tenth Planet are more articulate than those in the new series. The new ones are just cannon fodder for the most part. I miss the debates against the Cyber Leader/Planner and the Doctor.
    I agree. The Tenth Planet Cybermen were the best. I love their look the most too.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    That's sort of one thing the 70s and 80's Cybermen stories were kind of missing, with the exception of "Attack of the Cybermen". Earthshock, although still a pretty good story, could've been done with any monster (and it's been argued that sort of happened with "Warriors of the Deep").
    Attack was pretty much a greatest hits of Cybermen stories. But stuff it, I love the scene where the Cyber Controller gives the order for Lytton's hands to be crushed. Excessive? Yes. But awesome nonetheless.

Warriors Of The Deep would have been great. The only problem was it was too brightly lit. They should have stuck with the original intention to have the production design resemble Alien by having the base rundown and in disrepair.

Plus the Myrka wasn't needed. It is like the Magma Beast in Androzani. No need to be there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I agree. The Tenth Planet Cybermen were the best. I love their look the most too.
    Their sing-song voice is also distinctive. There are a few audios with those Cybermen, like the classic Spare Parts and The Silver Turk.

In terms of appearance, the Cybermen from The Flood are highly distinctive. That whole story is utterly brilliant, including why the Cybermen came to 2005 London and their strategy.

BANNED

New photos, including a brief glimpse of the TARDIS interior

https://twitter.com/th15matthew/stat...01255228694528

Screenshot_20180725-184856.jpg

Prop replica of the Doctor's new sonic. I thought it looked like a wand due to the tree bark esk etchings on it.

My very Christian female friend I've never known to make an off color joke pointed out that it looks like a wand of a different sort.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

BANNED

Considering that these things are not constructed but grown from the TARDIS, a more techno-organic look does make sense.

And let's face it, it basically is a magic wand.

Yeah, Moffat sort of gave the console rooms more of a technical look like the original series (especially the season 7-10 versions). this looks a bit more Ecclesston/Tennant, although we haven't seen the console itself yet.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I'm not liking it just now, but I'm sure that will change once Jodie starts kicking ass with it! Although, I heard the accent for the first time and I was like 'ehhhh....'. That is just because I'm not used to it though I'm sure, and again will not be noticed once she is doing her thing
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”