Page 336 of 582 FirstFirst ... 236286326332333334335336337338339340346386436 ... LastLast
Results 5,026 to 5,040 of 8716

Better character-driven episode. Yas definitely needed it. Once again though, the Doctor Who side of things is tame. The giant spiders were ok, but they lack that weird flavor.

|II| Yas' mom is beautiful as well, what a pretty family.

|II| Graham visiting his flat, my goodness was that incredible. From vaguely seeing his wife in the distance and the feeling of being cold, empty and lonely. All his scenes of longing in this episode were great. Def. the most emotional DW moments for me.

|II| HA. Making fun of trump while also mirroring him with another persona that is just like him, that's funny. Although, he seemed to have fit the role the male racer in the second episode, where ther are scenes where he is just there to be told how much of an ass he is and preached too.

|II| Someone on here pointed out how exaggerated Jodie's screwdriver motion was and now I can't unsee it, haha. It's definitely weird for sure.

|II| Ryan is hilarious when he breaks his calmness/semi-stoicism to do some humorous. The rap surprised me tremendously and just hit the sweet spot of being funny. Like the "call of duty" scene in the second episode, expect that felt more random and more tonally jarring. I welcome that as a recorring theme as long as it feels organic and isn't spammed.

|II| Didn't cross my mind Yas could be gay, her and the Doc. That would subvert some expectations.

Okay, i’ve been sort of indifferent to the new doctor up till now, but I actually liked the episode. Much as I like Chris Noth, I really hated the character he played here. Too trumpian for my taste. Glad to see the doctor take him down a peg. Liked the music, but i’m Sorry, the accents of the characters really make it hard to follow what’s going on. Doctor’s still chatty, I see. I did like the ending, where everyone decided to come on board- I wish graham and Ryan talked a bit more about ryan’s Dad. And i’ll Say this about Bradley Walsh- only having heard of him as a game show host, I wasn’t sure what to expect from ‘show biz.’ But his acting is very subdued, down to earth.
    Last edited by protege; 10-28-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    Better character-driven episode. Yas definitely needed it. Once again though, the Doctor Who side of things is tame. The giant spiders were ok, but they lack that weird flavor.

|II| Yas' mom is beautiful as well, what a pretty family.

|II| Graham visiting his flat, my goodness was that incredible. From vaguely seeing his wife in the distance and the feeling of being cold, empty and lonely. All his scenes of longing in this episode were great. Def. the most emotional DW moments for me.

|II| HA. Making fun of trump while also mirroring him with another persona that is just like him, that's funny. Although, he seemed to have fit the role the male racer in the second episode, where ther are scenes where he is just there to be told how much of an ass he is and preached too.

|II| Someone on here pointed out how exaggerated Jodie's screwdriver motion was and now I can't unsee it, haha. It's definitely weird for sure.

|II| Ryan is hilarious when he breaks his calmness/semi-stoicism to do some humorous. The rap surprised me tremendously and just hit the sweet spot of being funny. Like the "call of duty" scene in the second episode, expect that felt more random and more tonally jarring. I welcome that as a recorring theme as long as it feels organic and isn't spammed.

|II| Didn't cross my mind Yas could be gay, her and the Doc. That would subvert some expectations.
    Yas being gay fine great but please no more romances for the Doctor the companions falling in love with the Doctor is my biggest issue with New Who.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Yas being gay fine great but please no more romances for the Doctor the companions falling in love with the Doctor is my biggest issue with New Who.
    Mmm. Thing is, that was my biggest issue because every time I've seen it the companions in question were already in relationships.

I Jodie as The Doctor, still getting used to the companions though. However, I absolutely hate the new theme. I spend all day looking at colon histology and then I come home to watch Doctor Who, and the first thing that happens is I travel through a colon
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Okay, i’ve been sort of indifferent to the new doctor up till now, but I actually liked the episode. Much as I like Chris Noth, I really hated the character he played here. Too trumpian for my taste. Glad to see the doctor take him down a peg. Liked the music, but i’m Sorry, the accents of the characters really make it hard to follow what’s going on. Doctor’s still chatty, I see. I did like the ending, where everyone decided to come on board- I wish graham and Ryan talked a bit more about ryan’s Dad. And i’ll Say this about Bradley Walsh- only having heard of him as a game show host, I wasn’t sure what to expect from ‘show biz.’ But his acting is very subdued, down to earth.
    I've seen him in a number of shows, but Walsh really surprised me with his performance here. Very emotive stuff there and it is so nuanced. Really makes you feel for Graham.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Haven't seen it yet but from what I've read it seems to draw some inspiration from The Green Death, perhaps.
    Very strong parallels. The Green Death was going through my mind when I was watching this episode more than once. If anything, it is a cross between Eight Legged Freaks and The Green Death. Maybe a dash of Arachnophobia for good measure.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I think it depends on the character, Rose becoming this clingy thing which brought in all the worst kind of fan girls was bad, but I don’t mind the Doctor being romantic if it’s with a character like Romana or River where they are more on his/her level. I would like it if we have a male character in an episode attracted to her and like the Doctor in many occasions before she’s not quite sure what to make of it.

BANNED

Madame Vastra and Jenny make their Big Finish debut in Doctor Who: The 8th of March. A four audio box set scheduled for release on International Woman's Day 2019, starring several of New Who's female ensemble and written and produced entirely by women!

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-...ny-big-finish/

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! Ahem, I mean, yay! I love all of these characters of course but anything which gives us more Paternoster Gang awesomeness is glorious. And a River Song and Leela team up, nice! Big Finish is killing it for their 20th anniversary with box sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    ....., I hate the way the TARDIS has the Police Box as a small entry way alcove. It should be right inside the door, bigger on the inside right away. Now it's almost like a conduit into the TARDIS.
    Yeah, I'm not keen on that either.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    First Chris Noth is Trump.
    Second, I hate the way the TARDIS has the Police Box as a small entry way alcove. It should be right inside the door, bigger on the inside right away. Now it's almost like a conduit into the TARDIS.
    Agreed. I don't like that. I don't like the rest of the interior either.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I've always tried to give TARDIS interiors the benefit of a few episodes before deciding whether or not I like it. Lord knows it took some time for me to warm up to Eleven's first TARDIS.

I like that Thirteen's kept some Gallifreyan round text here and there, and the console and center column look fine to me. But those overarching pillars that point back down will take some getting used to. I half expect people to just bump into them more than occasionally, and it can't be great for camera angles.

Wonder if we'll see any of the rest of the ship. I'm pretty sure RTD mainly stuck to the console room, apart from Tennant's debut episode where we saw the wardrobe (Starting with The Doctor's wife we started to see a lot more corridors and rooms, especially in season 7).

In addition to THE GREEN DEATH, The episode also reminded me a bit of several "haunted house" movies from the 80's, in which houses/hotels were built on burial grounds by somewhat unethical real estate. (Although in this case it's dead spiders, not humans).

About the alcove thing, I think some of the old episodes hinted at some kind of corridor between the door and the console room. It's seen clearly in the CLAWS OF AXOS (Which is actually our first ever color look at the set!), and other episodes have the doors open to darkness instead of what's outside (Maybe because they were too lazy to CSO the outside in).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 10-30-2018 at 06:15 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Finally caught up to the last three episodes. Brief thoughts:

- It's good to see pre-Chibnall props like the Vortex Manipulator and Psychic Paper again; conversely, I believe they're inventions of Moffat (the manipulator debuting in The Empty Child) and RTD (the psychic paper being in the revival series bible) respectively

- I see Chibnall's run continues that fine tradition of having a-holes go unpunished while innocents die

- I'm sure it's been discussed to death here, but it was a good move to have Rosa Parks have her own sense of agency rather than anything external like the Doctor. As far as Rosa knows, nothing out of the ordinary happened, unlike other adventures with historical figures like Van Gogh, Shakespeare, and Dickens.

- The Spider episode must be the first televised episode in a long time since the Doctor's faced a purely human-made, modern day, terrestrial threat -- probably way back to Series 3 in The Lazarus Experiment, which, perhaps not-coincidentally, featured a giant, mutated creepy-crawly.

- The time-traveling villain in Rosa reminded me of the human or human-looking villains from the Doctor Who comics of the 80s, in all their wonderfully British skeezy techno-punk glory. I always thought it was weird that, for all the advantages a comic can afford over a TV show, that those types of villains were still fairly common place for the Doctor.

- Graham's cool. I like him.

- Shout out to Yaz's mom readily accepting her daughter's supposed sexuality, but is still all up in her biz about it nonetheless.

- moreso than previous Doctors, I feel like Thirteen's line about not knowing her personality because she's still sorting things out post-regeneration is more of an excuse this time for the writers themselves to wade through it all until they get her character down. While that reasoning's been used before for her predecessors, this line was mentioned all the way in Episode 4 of Thirteen's run, meaning it's running behind the other Doctors.
    Last edited by Cyke; 10-30-2018 at 09:49 PM.