Page 341 of 582 FirstFirst ... 241291331337338339340341342343344345351391441 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,115 of 8716

It really was a great episode. Is it me or does it seem like the best episodes of the season so far have been stories on a smaller scale rather than the bigger more science fiction type stories?
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I would say the historical episodes have been better than the sci-fi ones, because these writers, Chibnall included, don’t seem to know sci fi too well. I think it had the desired effect, it made me want to know more about the Muslim/Hindu conflict- but....
    There were a lot of distractions that made it hard to follow what was going on, again. The accents, as thick as they were, and the music, as good as it was, made it hard to follow the action. I have to say though, I think the doctor is relying on the sonic screwdriver a bit too much; she uses it for everything. And i’m Still not sure how confident she is in her new incarnation.

BANNED

This one was good. Great cinematography, good speeches (if a bit preachy again), great design for the creatures, and Jodie and Bradley on fine form (hurts we barely get them interacting so far) Again, the one strength about this series is there's some lasting tragedy, people actually die as opposed to just "getting better" once the eps are over with. I don't think the aliens were needed, this episode was really built to show pure historicals can still work, which is something I always had doubts about. Yaz still can't act and has no chemistry with the others, but at least her character has some added dimension now..virtually every supporting character has a sad backstory now.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

It's a Dad-Daughter Reunion on two counts as the Doctor's daughter Jenny is reunited with her father... just maybe not the one she was expecting... as part of the epic Legacy of Time adventure for Big Finish's 20th Anniversary of Doctor Who Audios as Peter Davison and his real life daughter Georgia Tennant team up!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/fif...daughter-jenny

Of course we technically had this before in The Lost Dimension comic but it's awesome to see it happen for reals.

Demons of the Punjab was brilliant, the best episode since Vincent and the Doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm biased because I'm south asian but I loved this week's doctor who.
    I'm not South Asian and I loved it, and it's great to see South Asian stories on such a show.

Kind of fit into one of the occasional Doctor Who trope of a companion visiting/interfering/creating in their own past (sort of) "Ghost light" and "Curse of Fenric" come to mind from the original show, with her unknowing interaction with her mother and grandmother creating her own existence, and her helping defeat the evil that would eventually cause her to commit a felony in present time. Then of course there's Rose with "Father's Day" (and to a degree, the entire Bad Wolf thing) and pretty much River's own story arc. On the flip side, there's Listen! and the multiple Doctors storyline, two of which had the Doctor "sort of" provoke his own past regenerations (The first Doctor and War) and of course literally with Missy and the Simm master in "The Doctor falls".

The design of the Thijarians reminded me slightly of Sutekh, the whole black/red costume, the big shoulder pads and even the design of the head.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of fit into one of the occasional Doctor Who trope of a companion visiting/interfering/creating in their own past (sort of) "Ghost light" and "Curse of Fenric" come to mind from the original show, with her unknowing interaction with her mother and grandmother creating her own existence, and her helping defeat the evil that would eventually cause her to commit a felony in present time. Then of course there's Rose with "Father's Day" (and to a degree, the entire Bad Wolf thing) and pretty much River's own story arc. On the flip side, there's Listen! and the multiple Doctors storyline, two of which had the Doctor "sort of" provoke his own past regenerations (The first Doctor and War) and of course literally with Missy and the Simm master in "The Doctor falls".

The design of the Thijarians reminded me slightly of Sutekh, the whole black/red costume, the big shoulder pads and even the design of the head.
    With Ace, the Doctor was intentionally taking her to confront the ghosts of the past. Ace hated her mother, so her saving baby Audrey (who she had grew close to over the story) helped Ace let go of the resentment she held towards her. The house in Ghost Light was a place that frightened her so much as a kid (she sensed the lingering presence of Light) that she burnt it to the ground. Ghost Light was supposed to be transmitted after Fenric, but the order was changed.

The original remit for Rose, was supposed to be that the Doctor had intentionally interfered with her history. In an effort to "create" the perfect companion. Thankfully it was changed. It was too close to what Faction Paradox had done to Sam Jones in the early EDA range.

As a rule, the Doctor doesn't like taking companions into their own history. Purely because it presents too much temptation for them to interfere (which was proven with Rose.)

This episode was good, especially that ending. It really is a shock to your psyche when you get older and someone you knew for such a long time just takes a different fork in the road and comes out a new person for better or worse.

They still have awkward cuts and reaction shots, usually in Yaz scenes, not sure why. Like people said it was mianly historical, thus it was a better episode.

BANNED

We officially have the titles and details on the final two episodes

Episode Nine is "It Takes You Away"

The finale is "The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos"

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-...e-episodes-ux/

BANNED

Doctor Who Magazine has officially confirmed there will be a New Years' Day special

finale planet looks like pretty quarry-ish.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Demons of the Punjab was a great story but I felt it was barely a Dr Who one. And the alien demons removed might have made for improvement. They were hardly required in much the same way that the vampires in Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode: 'The Body' weren't required, and if anything were in danger of stealing poignancy from the tale.

As these historical stories are intended as a return to the quickly abandoned history lessons of the first Doctor, I would like to point out a possibly misleading note in the episode. Though the characters place blame on the British for cutting up the country which is a understandable human reaction; the British didn't desire this to happen. They wanted India to remain whole as did Nehru and Gandhi. It was Muhammad Ali Jinnah leader of the All India Muslim League who insisted that Muslims have equal control of the country or that failing this there would be civil war if the country was not partitioned so that Muslims could have self rule by themselves. As it was, Muhammad was hiding a mortal illness and died a year after partition. The other leaders regretted that if they had known this, they would have delayed, delayed, and continued to debate until Muhammad Ali Jinnah had passed on. It's all 20/20 in hindsight.

BANNED

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Well, there goes any tension that may have been generated for the finale by confirming everybody will be safe and sound.

I like the shift. There are only so many Christmas themed episodes you can get away with before it becomes stale. Only a few of them were ever truly memorable for me anyway. The last new years episode was End Of Time Part 2.