Page 344 of 582 FirstFirst ... 244294334340341342343344345346347348354394444 ... LastLast
Results 5,146 to 5,160 of 8718
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elden View Post
    Capaldi was an amazing actor let down by (mostly) poor scripts. Jodie may not be quite as great an actor but the writers are giving her such great material (mostly) that she is coming across way better.
    He was amazing, but yeah the stories weren't really there. Being saddled with Clara Oswald hurt his run as much as it did Matt Smith's. It was much better in his final series.

BANNED

I thought Clara was much better in her last series with Capaldi. I don't even mind Hell Bent and I'm a major Clara hater.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    He was amazing, but yeah the stories weren't really there. Being saddled with Clara Oswald hurt his run as much as it did Matt Smith's. It was much better in his final series.
    While I felt Capaldi had some clunkers in each series only the final one I really hated only enjoying the final two episodes and Christmas Regeneration Special.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I thought Clara was much better in her last series with Capaldi. I don't even mind Hell Bent and I'm a major Clara hater.
    So what was wrong with clara oswald, exactly?
    Last edited by protege; 01-04-2019 at 08:40 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So what was wtong with clara oswald, exactly?
    What was right with her?

She was a macguffin her whole first season, an arrogant control freak tool in her second who treated Danny like a cuck, she finally simmered down for series nine and became your standard fun times companion who's overindulgence and arrogance led to her downfall. A lot of fans can't stand her.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 11-20-2018 at 09:51 AM.

What was right with her?

She was a macguffin her whole first season, an arrogant control freak tool in her second who treated Danny like a cuck, she finally simmered down for series nine and became your standard fun times companion who's overindulgence and arrogance led to her downfall. A lot of fans can't stand her.
    I liked both Amy and Clara and a lot of that could be said about Amy she was a McGuffin Series 5 and the 1st half of Series 6 and was definitely always the one in charge in her relationship with Rory. I think Rory worked over Danny or Mickey because the Doctor showed respect for Rory.

What was right with her?

Well, i’ll Admit, I only watched about half of season 8, and gave up on season 9, but I blame moffatt more than capaldi or Coleman; moffatt seemed to elevate the companion to almost mythical status, so the doctor wouldn’t overshadow her. When Clara came along, it was like he was saying, how can I top the ponds, and river song?

I think part of the problem with Capaldi's first season is similar to that with Colin Baker's Doctor-they tried to make him too different, more unpredictable than previous Doctors and also sort of strict like the first (Technically, Capaldi is the new "first" in a new cycle, in a way). Like with Colin, he became more like a traditional Doctor in his second season (Although flashes of the Doctor's instability and arrogance showed up a few times during the Trial), although Capaldi in season 9 didn't have to deal with the Trial setup (although season 9 was kind of experimental as well having mostly two parters and one three parter). and a hostile BBC.

Although I suppose you could say it was part of the story arc, as the Doctor was going through a moral crisis and suddenly had more of an aversion to the military than usual, although both were pretty much sorted out by season's end and he was more free to embrace his more eccentric side again. Including the hugs and the companion obsession.

I wonder if the current companion team would transition as well to a new Doctor? They seem to at least grasp some of the aspects of regeneration from the Doctor's dialogue in the first episode and Demons of Punjab. Other companions of course have been totally left in the dark about it-Rose for example didn't really know and understand the process at first, and Donna didn't seem to know either and had to get a quick explanation from Rose.

Funny thing is, Clara knew better than anyone, and she was still kind of shocked and troubled by Capaldi's Doctor at first.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I liked Danny because he felt like he could be the Doctor's equal. Their scene in the Caretaker where Danny says the Doctor is an Officer was dynamic.

Some of Series 8 scripts IMO felt like they were originally written with Matt Smith in mind and altered to suit Capaldi's Doctor who had yet found his own footing.

Astonishing Member

i enjoy Jodie, but I honestly think people are being too nice to her...she's passable, but does not really stand out as a Doctor.
    Jodie has faired remarkably well. But I feel she is suffering from not having enough "screen time" dedicated to exploring who her Doctor is. I don't know if it is intentional on the production teams behalf, but the bulk of the character work has gone into the companions. Which is understandable because they are our point of view characters. The ones we are supposed to relate to (contrary to popular opinion, we aren't meant to relate to the Doctor.)

For me, the Doctor is just "there." She isn't near being the worst of the doctors, but she is far from being one of the greats.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Some of Series 8 scripts IMO felt like they were originally written with Matt Smith in mind and altered to suit Capaldi's Doctor who had yet found his own footing.
    They were. Most of Series 8's scripts were in the process of being written (about half had been completed) when he announced he was leaving.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think part of the problem with Capaldi's first season is similar to that with Colin Baker's Doctor-they tried to make him too different, more unpredictable than previous Doctors and also sort of strict like the first (Technically, Capaldi is the new "first" in a new cycle, in a way). Like with Colin, he became more like a traditional Doctor in his second season (Although flashes of the Doctor's instability and arrogance showed up a few times during the Trial), although Capaldi in season 9 didn't have to deal with the Trial setup (although season 9 was kind of experimental as well having mostly two parters and one three parter). and a hostile BBC.

Although I suppose you could say it was part of the story arc, as the Doctor was going through a moral crisis and suddenly had more of an aversion to the military than usual, although both were pretty much sorted out by season's end and he was more free to embrace his more eccentric side again. Including the hugs and the companion obsession.

I wonder if the current companion team would transition as well to a new Doctor? They seem to at least grasp some of the aspects of regeneration from the Doctor's dialogue in the first episode and Demons of Punjab. Other companions of course have been totally left in the dark about it-Rose for example didn't really know and understand the process at first, and Donna didn't seem to know either and had to get a quick explanation from Rose.

Funny thing is, Clara knew better than anyone, and she was still kind of shocked and troubled by Capaldi's Doctor at first.
    Great analysis. Capaldi is (in my opinion anyway) the new series equivalent of Colin Baker. Great actors who were also passionate fans. But both were letdown by errors on the production teams behalf (although Capaldi faired a bit better.)

I think, when the time comes to do 12th Doctor audios at Big Finish, we are going to see a reevaluation for his particular incarnation. Hopefully in the same manner as that achieved with the 6th Doctor.

I feel crazy. Capaldi is my Doctor. Series 9, 8, 10 are my favorite series’ of NuWho. And Clara, my Clara, is my favorite companion. The chemistry between her and Capaldi is amazing. Bill came onboard and series 10 was a lot of fun wi5 some great stories.

I’m not feeling Series 11. Tosin Cole can’t act, especially since that’s not his real accent, it’s really hampering him. Gill is given so little to do and it took Gill and Bradley Walsh 6 episodes to have an actual conversation. I was thrilled with the choice of Jodie Whittaker but she’s given so little to do, she has yet to become the Doctor. Walsh has oddly been given the best lines out of anyone.

Chibnall has written some great tv, I fucking loved Broadchurch, but he has yet to write more than a middling Who script. It’s gonna end up my lowest rated series for the show.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

What was right with her?
    Her undeniable cuteness?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?