Page 346 of 582 FirstFirst ... 246296336342343344345346347348349350356396446 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,190 of 8716

I was crossing my fingers for Sacha Dhawan personally.

Fantastic Member

Has any of the doctor fell in love? Not tennet giving a clone to Billie piper. Why does he have so many companions but no love interest?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Some troubling news from Comicbook.com:

It boggles my mind that in American television, there are still many shows that run 22-24 episodes between September and June with only a few weeks off at a time here and there; meanwhile, in the UK 10 episodes in a full year is a stretch Seriously?

Also (and this could be Jodie's fault for not giving them a heads up in advance) WHY cast someone who you know is going to want or need a light schedule for their family? There are plenty of other actresses they could have cast is Jodie couldn't commit to 11 episodes a year.
    The American networks invest more money into their shows than the BBC does for Doctor Who. Plus the way things are produced in the States is vastly different to the UK (specifically the actors equity and various other unions.) For this season to be as cinematic as it is, is something the BBC should be commended for.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    British television is more about attempting to master quality than that of quantity. There's quite a few American shows now that are adapting the shorter episode model, most of the 22-24 length seasons of shows there largely consist of meaningless filler.
    This.

With the advent of streaming services, American TV is finally coming to realize that more is often less. Especially where quality is concerned. The CW shows, for example, are a drag because the seasons are so drawn out. Cut out all the filler and they flow much better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    Has any of the doctor fell in love? Not tennet giving a clone to Billie piper. Why does he have so many companions but no love interest?
    Because Doctor Who wasn't conceived with romance in mind. It was intend to educate and entertain children. There was always a conscious effort by producers to ensure that the show avoided the audience (and the press) drawing "certain ideas." The casting of older actors prevented this from happening. JNT was very particular about this once Davison was in the role (it's why there was always a male companion during his tenure) as a young Doctor travelling with two young female companions would draw certain conclusions.

BANNED

He stated to Donna that he's been a father before (contradicting a detail in a rare-to-find novel that time lords do not have children through natural means), and he had a granddaughter. He was quite passionate about Grace, who he met in the 1996 TV Movie, but left her on Earth. River is his second wife, but it never comes across as genuine due to how psychopathic and "modern romance" she is.

He stayed with River Song over hundreds of years (50 years for their last date). Many people diddn't like the River Song arc, but I sort of liked it in the end. It was suitably long, weird and "epic", the way the Doctor himself is, and by the end River herself could credibly say she was the Doctor's equal in many ways. Certainly none of the ridiculous weirdness and power disparity that the Doctor falling in love with Rose was.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    He stayed with River Song over hundreds of years (50 years for their last date). Many people diddn't like the River Song arc, but I sort of liked it in the end. It was suitably long, weird and "epic", the way the Doctor himself is, and by the end River herself could credibly say she was the Doctor's equal in many ways. Certainly none of the ridiculous weirdness that the Doctor falling in love with Rose was.
    Thank you both. We all jump to conclusions lol

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I was crossing my fingers for Sacha Dhawan personally.
    When the speculation was Thirteen would be a POC actor rather than a female he was the name I was hoping for. I'd still like to see him as Fourteen... but I'm enjoying Whittaker a lot, so hope she does at least three or four years.

The Doctor had sort of implied flings with Rose,Madam Pompadour, Nefertiti, Queen Elizabeth, Marilyn Monroe (with a marriage of sorts) but those were pretty much just casual; he also kissed or was kissed by Grace, Martha, Donna, Idris/The TARDIS, Amy, Missy and Lady Elizabeth but those were kind of for other reasons completely, or it was unreciprocated. He and Clara sort of admitted they had feelings for each other, but the Doctor put a stop to that in Deep Breath more or less, saying it was a mistake on both their ends.

His "Doctor Smith" persona was in love with Joan of course in Human Nature.

Going back to the original series, the Doctor does seem to have a brief relationship with an Aztec woman, Cameca, and was "engaged". Plus there's the possibility of his family on Gallifrey including a wife, as Susan is his granddaughter.

Other than that it's sort of fan speculation; some feel that the Third Doctor had feelings for Jo, hence his reactions to her relationship and later quickly leaving the party in "The Green Death", and also the Fourth Doctor and Romana, although I think that was mainly based on the behind the scenes stuff going on rather than anything in the show itself.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I also saw his dynamic with Clara as romantic. River song was his wife and he flirted with people.

Thats the modern era. Classic era he didnt show any interest. That was because it was more of a kids show. I just thought he wasn't attracted to humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Elden View Post
    When the speculation was Thirteen would be a POC actor rather than a female he was the name I was hoping for. I'd still like to see him as Fourteen... but I'm enjoying Whittaker a lot, so hope she does at least three or four years.
    Ruth wilson might have been a fun choice. Olivia coleman would have been funny given she was Tennant's co-star in Broadchurch.

I was interested in Robert Carlyle, Marc Sheppard or Jason Isaacs.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-23-2018 at 08:31 AM.

I think Jason Isaacs would be a great Master. He seems to play a lot of dark characters that still have a degree of sympathy/redemption in them, such as Lorca, Malfoy, Sinestro etc. and that kind of fits the Master to a degree, especially Missy although we've seen it to a degree in most of his incarnations.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-23-2018 at 07:49 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Cumberbatch could have been a good Master too. For some reason I could see him pulling off 4's scarf and hat tho.

I think Martin Freeman could have been a young John Hurt stand-in.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The Doctor had sort of implied flings with Rose,Madam Pompadour, Nefertiti, Queen Elizabeth, Marilyn Monroe (with a marriage of sorts) but those were pretty much just casual; he also kissed or was kissed by Grace, Martha, Donna, Idris/The TARDIS, Amy, Missy and Lady Elizabeth but those were kind of for other reasons completely, or it was unreciprocated. He and Clara sort of admitted they had feelings for each other, but the Doctor put a stop to that in Deep Breath more or less, saying it was a mistake on both their ends.

His "Doctor Smith" persona was in love with Joan of course in Human Nature.

Going back to the original series, the Doctor does seem to have a brief relationship with an Aztec woman, Cameca, and was "engaged". Plus there's the possibility of his family on Gallifrey including a wife, as Susan is his granddaughter.

Other than that it's sort of fan speculation; some feel that the Third Doctor had feelings for Jo, hence his reactions to her relationship and later quickly leaving the party in "The Green Death", and also the Fourth Doctor and Romana, although I think that was mainly based on the behind the scenes stuff going on rather than anything in the show itself.
    When I first watched The Green Death as a kid (one of my first VHS tapes), I thought the Doctor was more than a little disheartened at losing Jo and that there may have been more to them than what was on screen. But now I think that was just the result of very convincing (and genuine) acting on Jon's part. Because he had built a strong working relationship/friendship with Katy Manning and was upset she was leaving the show.

The Doctor/Romana thing never really made sense in my mind. Was there chemistry? Absolutely. But that was really between Tom and Lalla. Not the characters. Some have said that the trip to Paris in The City Of Death is basically a huge date for The Doctor and Romana. But, again, I think that was just a result of Tom and Lalla being in Paris more than anything (a relationship between the characters was implied in those Prime Computer ads. But those are just being tongue in cheek.)

They also implied in the new series that Sarah-Jane may have had feelings for The Doctor as well. We know Peri had feelings for the Fifth Doctor. Speaking of the Fifth Doctor, Davison has said he likes to think there was more between the Fifth and Nyssa. Nyssa's farewell saw her kiss the Doctor on the cheek. Which was rare in the classic series (very surprised that slipped by JNT given his stance on romance in the show.)

Retired

With the Third Doctor and Jo, I felt that Jo really loved the Doctor and wanted him to love her back, but she ultimately realized that it wasn't in his nature to do so and she settled for a human version of the Doctor (which was ultimately doomed from the start).

The Doctor is supposed to be inscrutable and alien. And while he has feelings, they are not the same as human emotions. That's why he needs the companions to interpret Earth people for him, because he often gets it wrong.

The Doctor can come off as cold and uncaring--but it's just his frame of reference is completely different from ours. His moral compass is different, because he understands the cause and effect of events across eons of time.

That's why the current Doctor's Ms. Frizzle act rings false for me. She should need the companions to explain things to her, rather than explaining things to them (for pages of monologue) as if she understands humanity better than they. The Doctor will often do things that are cruel, because there are more important matters to him/her than the temporal concerns of ordinary Brits.

This is the big difference between old DOCTOR WHO and new DOCTOR WHO, because the old Doctors were allowed to be utter nincompoops when it came to how they treated others (some Doctors more than others). However, there have been many times when nine thru twelve were not very nice, either. And I thought on that level, Capaldi was quite good.

I understand the desire to give the audience good moral lessons--but you don't do that by the Doctor preaching what is right. You do it by setting up a variety of characters that each represent a different viewpoint--with the Doctor being the alien big picture p.o.v. And out of that collective of perspectives, we the audience are free to come to our own conclusions--rather than having them foisted upon us.