Page 347 of 581 FirstFirst ... 247297337343344345346347348349350351357397447 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,205 of 8709

Just seen the Kerblam! episode. I'm liking the Doctor more, not that I hated her to begin with mind you. The story was OK, but I feel no need to ever see it again. Yaz could walk off a cliff for all I care. I felt more for any other character in this episode, in fact it would have been great if they'd swapped her out for that girl who got killed.

I felt a little WTF when the workforce was supposedly going to be replaced with 100% "organic" when operations restarted. So that means that the murderous terrorist got what he wanted in the end!! What the hell BBC!

On more minor points the Kerblam boxes shouldn't be in just one size. At the start it was mentioned that there were 100,000 workers and then later only 10,000. Perhaps the 10,000 is the human portion, but still, 100.000 complete, doesn't sound like very many for a interstellar operation.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The Doctor is supposed to be inscrutable and alien. And while he has feelings, they are not the same as human emotions. That's why he needs the companions to interpret Earth people for him, because he often gets it wrong.

The Doctor can come off as cold and uncaring--but it's just his frame of reference is completely different from ours. His moral compass is different, because he understands the cause and effect of events across eons of time.
    Which is how Colin Baker approached the role when he was cast as the Sixth Doctor. Because he came to the conclusion that, since the Doctor was alien, he would have different ways of dealing with certain situations such as death etc. He even states as such to Peri in The Twin Dilemma. But the vast majority of the audience never understood that fact and perceived him as a nasty *******. He wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think Jason Isaacs would be a great Master. He seems to play a lot of dark characters that still have a degree of sympathy/redemption in them, such as Lorca, Malfoy, Sinestro etc. and that kind of fits the Master to a degree, especially Missy although we've seen it to a degree in most of his incarnations.
    The actor who played The Shadowking in Legion would make a brilliant Master.

http://legion.wikia.com/wiki/Amahl_F...r_%2814%29.jpg
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Jumping into “ witchfinders,”
    1) nothing like jumping headfirst into the plot; not even a reference to the renaissance faire or anything?
    2) does yaz have only one kind of outfit, or did she get them on sale?
    3) god, the northern accents are killing me; i can’t really understand half the things anyone is saying.
    4) graham looks ridiculous in that hat.
    5) has the doctor ever dealt with magic before? But man, her incessant jabber is starting to really annoy me.
    6) i wasn’t aware that witch hunts predated colonial america.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Jumping into “ witchfinders,”
    1) nothing like jumping headfirst into the plot; not even a reference to the renaissance faire or anything?
    2) does yaz have only one kind of outfit, or did she get them on sale?
    3) god, the northern accents are killing me; i can’t really understand half the things anyone is saying.
    4) graham looks ridiculous in that hat.
    5) has the doctor ever dealt with magic before? But man, her incessant jabber is starting to really annoy me.
    6) i wasn’t aware that witch hunts predated colonial america.
    7) finally- a decent alien adversary! Kind of reminds me of the pyroviles!

I thought it was a fun episode.

I'm no Who expert, but I thought this was another one of the few eps that captured the Who'ness. It balanced the weird well with the dangers of reality.

lol, did the mustache guy from spy kids acknowledge Yaz when he met the gang? Did he acknowledge her at all?

Fantastic Member

Is she really quitting already

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Yes, also witches. Most recently in the Shakespeare episode of David Tennant's second season (the one with Martha).

Witchfinders was mostly fun, though it did seem a bit disjointed in style. I wondered at times if it was the BBC PC re-writers of which Neil Gaiman complained started tinkering with the scripts from as early as the mid 7th series onwards. Or perhaps the writer just wanted that jarring combination of the tardis crew be dropped into an almost 1970s hammer horror version of Stuart Era Britain with a more than slightly panto' version of King James eating up the scenery and pretty much stealing the show. Whatever the reason, I'd of preferred that the Doctor and team jelled a bit better with the feel of the story.

BANNED

It was a good episode up until the aliens knock the Doctor and companions out...why didn't they just kill them? Also they were dispatched far too easily with those CGI torches.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    It was a good episode up until the aliens knock the Doctor and companions out...why didn't they just kill them? Also they were dispatched far too easily with those CGI torches.
    Good points, but at least it wasn't solved by the Doctor just waving her sonic screwdriver.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Big Finish is doing a set of Rose Tyler adventures set during the time leading up to Stolen Earth/Journey’s End, also featuring Pete and Jackie and a parallel universe version of Clive, the alien investigator.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/bil...ses-rose-tyler

Sad they couldn’t get Noel involved to play Mickey since he’s active around this time, but otherwise it’s an interesting idea with a Rose who isn’t just fan girling after the Doctor but is a hero in her own right.

I thought the Witchfinders episode was merely okay. Just wasn't feeling the episode as a whole all that much for some reason.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

It would have been good if Doctor and friends were in period costume. Sometimes it has a charm when they're anachronistically dressed and no one seems to notice, but it was visually jarring in this episode. Also it might have papered over the cracks of stylistic story gear changes of going from scenes with Yas talking about bully induced anxiety with the grieving daughter to King James camp like glee over his box of witch torture devices.