Page 349 of 582 FirstFirst ... 249299339345346347348349350351352353359399449 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,235 of 8716
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    I find this interesting. As when I was a young teen, I was surprised that the religious free America ever had witch hunts at all. Then I was reassured by the fact that only a few dozen or so people were killed for witchcraft. Where as in Europe, thousands were killed, with death penalties for witchcraft starting in the mid 1500's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    Although it differed a great deal over Europe, for reasons that are often quite surprising.

For example, one European country that had relatively few witchcraft trials and executions during the 16th Century was.... Spain. Now, jurisdiction over witchcraft was in secular hands rather than the hands of the Spanish Inquisition. But the Spanish Inquisition itself was fairly sceptical about accusations of witchcraft anyway. In fact, the Spanish Inquisition was one of the first institutions to rule against the death penalty for witchcraft and insist upon proper proof (which given the absurdity of the accusations would by its nature be difficult to obtain). The witchcraft trials and executions were probably at their most intense in Germany, perhaps because of the huge political and religious turmoil there was in the German territories in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.

There weren't that many witchcraft executions in England, comparatively speaking (although there were in Scotland). The most intense period was during the Civil War - again perhaps because of the enormous unrest.
    It's amusing how Colonial America and Spain get so many brickbats thrown at them regarding witch hunts and inquisitions, despite other areas of the world that were just as bad or even much worse.

The vagaries of time...
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Well, aside from the fact that mickey is back on our earth, and married to martha now, what’s noel clarke doing these days?
    He's been doing a bit more directing and producing I think. He also had a small role a few years ago in Star Trek: Into Darkness.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

He was staring and producing the Kidulthood Trilogy, not sure what else he’s been doing since then. But to be fair Billie has been off the radar for a while now anyway...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    If you can't see the agenda, I don't know what to tell you. I'm not opposed to any of these things or sensitive to them but it's blatantly there and not remotely subtle, especially in comparison to how RTD managed to be inclusive without sacrificing the bulk of the story in a bid to make an episode "relevant" to current year, when all that really does is date the episode.
    You may want to read my post again. I never said that the messages weren't there or that people who were seeing messages were overly sensitive. I said that there is nothing wrong with an entertaining show having messages and that people who were having a problem with it are being overly sensitive. Yes, the messages are obvious...intentionally so. Because people who see stories about acceptance and inclusiveness and kindness refer to it as an "agenda".
    That's the very reason we need these stories.

The thing is, if it's set just before series four, that means she still has her fawning crush on The Doctor and it's bound to be brought up. Dissapointed that they can't seem to schedule Tennant with her so they can do some Rose/Metacrisis Doctor stories.
    Why on Earth would they bother doing meta-crisis stories? If Tennant is available they'll do more stories of her with the real Doctor. They'd sell better and Tennant would be expensive to hire so they need to sell well. Meta-crisis Doctor is too niche.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Also Bradley Walsh (Graham) was in the Sarah Jane Adventures as the Clown/Pied Piper

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Pied_Piper
    He was excellent in that show. I keep being reminded of it and feeling like a rewatch, but I'm in the middle of a marathon of a different era of Doctor Who at the moment.

...Whoops, looks like Big Finish didn't even ask Noel Clarke to come back for the Rose Tyler audios and he feels disrespected

https://twitter.com/NoelClarke/statu...94222678671361
    Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Well, aside from the fact that mickey is back on our earth, and married to martha now, what’s noel clarke doing these days?
    These stories are set between Rose's Doomsday departure and her and Mickey's return in The Stolen Earth / Journey's End so the character isn't on the main Earth when these new audios are set and should be present. Really rude that they didn't even bother asking him!

BANNED

Tom Baker's final series is the next blu-ray release

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-...illpagescom-21

Surprised they didn't go for a Pertwee season since they've only had Tom and Peter's first seasons so far. I suppose Tom's seasons likely sell better overall worldwide, plus there's the worrying fact he won't be around forever...

I think it might be partially because Pertwee's stuff, although complete unlike Hartnell and Troughton, are not in the best shape. (Although there was a spearhead from space blu release).

What the heck is up with the ending to the recent episode. There is an alien prison in England that is probably still around in the modern age that no one knows of. The aliens could still get out. People need to know so they can avoid that area instead of one day somebody accidentally letting them out.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Surprised they didn't go for a Pertwee season since they've only had Tom and Peter's first seasons so far. I suppose Tom's seasons likely sell better overall worldwide, plus there's the worrying fact he won't be around forever...
    I think it just comes down to the fact Tom Baker's interpretation is the most recognized, and most popular, out of all the Doctors (especially in the US where his episodes were played continuously on PBS and other affiliate networks that showed Doctor Who.) Remember, the American market is the main target for these Blu-Ray sets. So they might as well go with the one most likely to ship the most units.

Personally, I would love to have seen Season 7. As ChrisIII pointed out in his post above, Spearhead From Space was already remastered and released in Blu-Ray (It was chosen due to the fact it was shot entirely on film.) The Restoration Team would only have had to do minor remastering on it (to account for advancement in technology.) Thus leaving the 3 other serials from that season: Silurians, Ambassadors Of Death and Inferno needing complete remastering.

I am probably biased, but I consider that entire season one of Who's best. It is certainly one of the most cinematic ones.

Whilst I can respect that Tom is the most recognized classic Doctor, I think it's important to try and have a Blu Ray out for each of them - and I agree that Jon's first season or possibly his second (where Jo and the Master, two pretty iconic elements of his era appear) would have been the best next choice. I also would like to see Hartnell and Troughton's seasons worked on, though one can imagine that the main issue will be recreating episodes from scratch or remastering those already completed.

We can assume the Restoration Teams and the Documentary crews are hard at work gradually creating new content, interviewing actors and staff from various eras to give content for future releases of course, so there might not be the rush one might expect.

I was kind of dissiapointed that the aliens in Witchhunters turned out to be yet another case of imprisoned aliens.

Is it just me or has the use of psychic paper gone up quite a bit this season? Not that I mind that much, it's one particular creation of the revival that helps avoid the cliche of the Doctor and co. usually winding up imprisoned or suspected of something until they start helping out (Earthshock, for example)...although of course that tends to happen in reverse sometimes now (For example, Witchhunters).

Regarding some comments in this thread about Jodie's Doctor not really showing off the character's Dark side, this site agrees: https://www.indiewire.com/2018/11/do...ew-1202023619/

On the day UK viewing figures; do you think they've hit their level? Or are they going to drop further?

Episode, 1 ___ 8.2m

Episode, 2 ___ 7.11m

Episode, 3 ___ 6.39m

Episode, 4 ___ 6.43m

Episode, 5 ___ 6.12m

Episode, 6 ___ 5.77m

Episode, 7 ___ 5.93m

Episode, 8 ___ 5.66m

I believe the lowest UK viewing figures were for One of the later Peter Capaldi, Pearl Mackie episodes with only 4.7m watching.

Only another two to go in this series so I don't think we'll fall there yet. Hopefully we never will, but I wonder where the cut off point is for the BBC?
    Last edited by Indian Ink; 11-30-2018 at 12:01 PM.

BANNED

Those are live overnights, the BBC (and the spinsters) are relying more on the consolidated figures for the overall seven day week. Those figures are usually higher.