Page 354 of 580 FirstFirst ... 254304344350351352353354355356357358364404454 ... LastLast
Results 5,296 to 5,310 of 8689
    Retired

I meant that DOCTOR WHO went off the air in 1990 and didn't come back until 2005. I guess there was an appearance of the Daleks in the 1996 TV movie, so I may have made a boo-boo. You could argue they've appeared once a decade, but then that would seem to let the BBC off the hook, if all they have to do is show the Daleks once a decade to retain the rights--then there's no urgency to bring them back for the 13th Doctor. I just don't understand how, if the show wasn't in production all those years, the BBC satisfied their end of the deal with Terry Nation.

Doctor who was involved in comics, audio dramas, and novels after the show went off the air in 1984 so maybe that's enough to satisfy the Nation estate.

They were nervous about losing the Daleks in the 2005 revival which lead to the invention of the Toclafane. They were later reused in the Master three parter in Series 3.

The 1996 Dalek thing was kind of weird. Although we didn't see them, they sounded completely wrong, and it's unclear why the Daleks put the Master on trial and simply let the Doctor onto the planet to pick up the remains. Plus Skaro was back with no explanation.

Then again, Skaro sort of returned in the new series without much of an explanation either in the Moffat, I assume time war shenanigans. Some of the novels/comics/audios also tried to explain the error, but it's WHO so any attempt to really make a cohesive continuity pretty much flies out the window, even with the new series.

There were also plans for an earlier script to feature "Spider Daleks". The concept was a weird one, with a Dalek shell opening and part of the 'skirt' becoming legs, with a huge Dalek mutant on top that more closely resembled an insect than the familiar blob/octopus thing.

Curious thing about the Dalek license, when Britbox started carrying the series last year they initially didn't carry any Dalek stories.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I meant that DOCTOR WHO went off the air in 1990 and didn't come back until 2005. I guess there was an appearance of the Daleks in the 1996 TV movie, so I may have made a boo-boo.
    The Daleks appear in the TV movie, but only as voices (the infamous "chipmunk" take)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    I suppose this turn of events was inevitable. If anything can save Doctor Who from audience apathy it's the Daleks. Although I think the return of the Daleks so soon speaks volume of Doctor Who's credibility problem right now, for a show that only months ago prided itself on eschewing all familiar Doctor Who trappings and motifs.

It will be curious to see if the rumours of another Dalek redesign turn out to be true. Personally I didn't mind the 'New Paradigm' Daleks, helped to make Dalek scenes more visually interesting, over copy+paste CGI Bronze Daleks until they filled a room. But I do concede their softer edges and matte finish only served to anger fans. Yet that's not to say a new design over the 2005 Bronze Daleks is impossible.

I think an update of the Peter Cushing movie Dalek designs would be ideal:

Well written stories, strong character work, and decent acting is what saves a show from audience apathy.

Surely a deal can be reached with the Nation Estate whereby they are satisfied with The Daleks being used in any and/or Doctor Who media (audios, novels, games etc.) I'd much prefer them to be taken off the board for a few series and come back with a bang. Constantly cropping up each and every season has started to produce the Law Of Diminishing Returns with them. I love the Cybermen, but even I felt they'd been overused during Capaldi's era. The Daleks are the same and have had more misses than hits since the show was revived.

A monster should only return when there is a great story to tell or there is sufficient demand. Using them because they are obligated to do so is not the way to go. It is a similar situation to the Master in the 80s where Ainsley had it in his contract that the Master had to be included in each season. The guy was popping up in stories he had no place being in and became a joke because of it (Time-Flight, King's Demons, Mark Of The Rani and Trial Of A Time-Lord.) He was taken off the board and, when he did return in Survival, he was a legitimate threat again. The Cybermen weren’t used for years after Revenge, when they did return, we got Earthshock.

I rather have the Celestial toymaker make a reappearance over the Daleks.

There was a plan for the Toymaker to return in season 23 way back, but when the hiatus happened that scrapped the original plan (The Ice Warriors and Autons were also scheduled). I presume they were going to use Michael Gough again (Although he had been in Arc of Infinity as a seperate character, but then again, so was Colin!).

They used David Ballie (Otherwise known in WHO as Dask/Taran Capell from Robots of Death) for the audios though, in a remake of the canceled season 23 story.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-28-2018 at 07:52 AM.

BANNED

Wondering about how the Dalek being involved in some form of history plays out. I can't imagine it being easy to bury or something, unless it was just the mutant. Maybe it wakes up after being discovered, sets out a distress beacon for the others? (Like the Dalek in Dalek tried to do?)

BANNED

Not sure how to feel about that one...are all the one hour episodes going to have no title sequence?

And poor, poor spoilers:
    U.N.I.T...brought down by Brexit, at least Kate got a mention
    end of spoilers

"I guess we're just going to have...a conversation"

BANNED

So then, it turns out the Dalek redesign rumour was true after all but in typical Chibnall fashion this concept is delivered in the most underwhelming way possible. You can't base a new era for Doctor Who's most iconic villains around the 'Scrapyard Dalek', for a one-off variant it wasn't even very creative, just the usual design with a few dents in it and covered in rust. The BBC props department should've gone crazy and delivered a Dalek that looked it belonged on the set of Mad Max. Oh well, I guess the 2005-era Bronze Daleks will be sticking around for a while longer yet.

Watching this story unfold- i was really glad to see the doctor confront aaron about not being there for grace’s funeral; i just wish they had gone further with it. In fact, they didn’t go far enough with a lot of things in this episode. The dalek seemed pretty creepy, and a step up from the previous versions,; i liked the showdown with the doctor. It’s moments like this i can get behind jodie as the doctor, but i wish they’d tone down the moments of self doubt. I also wish that graham had been more involved with this case; he’s the one i’m watching for. I kind of hope that the doctor has a reunion with kate stewart at some point. I
    Last edited by protege; 01-01-2019 at 09:16 PM.

That was disappointing. The story was pretty good, but nothing spectacular and the Dalek redesign looked absolutely awful. I mean, better than the hideous design from Matt Smith's first season, but worse than every other version so far.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Really liked it, they yet again made a single Dalek intimidating and showed how versatile they can be, and the steampunk design was great as a one off. Was kinda expecting the Dalek to contact the others only to be told ‘oh hell no not that bloody Earth again, too much hassle!’

Ryan finally got a decent plot arc too, which is nice (ironically this kinda swapped things around and made Yaz feel unimportant.) I do wish they hadn’t included such a forced Brexit joke mind, that’s likely to date it big time... not sure what to think of this being the only new episode this year, but it does mean I can play catch-up with numerous eras and concepts. Season 11 has been great for the most part and hopefully what didn’t work they can learn from.

BANNED

Put my thoughts together

Pretty decent, and it has rewatch value, which I can't say for a lot of this season. Graham and The Doctor had some nice moments after she chose to land the TARDIS in his house, the Dalek looked daft, but quite unique and was a real arse-kicker. The mircowave solution was telegraphed too early, but the Salamander solution shows how cutthroat the Doctor can be.