Page 4 of 578 FirstFirst 123456781454104504 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Ah, if we're talking Classic Who, then pretty much all of it. But that was kind of the point, wasn't it.
    Some eras more than others.
    I'm looking at you JNT. lol

Favourite Doctor: can't really pick out of Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Christopher Eccleston or David Tennant.

Favourite companion: Sarah-Jane, Rose & K9. Lots of other great companions but those 3 are unbeatable IMO.

Favourite story: impossible to pick but I really did love Planet of the Spiders & The Stolen Earth/Journeys End.

Doctor Who Chagrin 1: Colin Bakers outfit and early characterisation. The man has talent and made a great Doctor but should have been a brilliant Doctor if only he didn't have that awful outfit and have to play as such an unlikeable character from the get go.

Doctor Who Chagrin 2: Paul McGann being wasted. Great Doctor, great outfit, great feel and then half human and body jumping Master pfft this should have been thought about as it really had the potential for greatness. Ok it worked out in the end but we missed a whole Doctor!

Doctor Who Chagrin 3: Teletubby Daleks.

Quote Originally Posted by Choos View Post
    Doctor Who Chagrin 1: Colin Bakers outfit and early characterisation. The man has talent and made a great Doctor but should have been a brilliant Doctor if only he didn't have that awful outfit and have to play as such an unlikeable character from the get go.
    That's exactly why I love the Sixth Doc'. He was just so in your face and pompous, but at the same time fiercely passionate. I know a lot of people praise Big Finish by showing us (in a manner of speaking) the Sixth Doctor we could have had, but I'm not a fan of their kindler, gentler Sixth Doc. He has a sort of 'feckless' charm which simply isn't him!

Speaking of Big Finish, I absolutely love some of the audio-only companions they have in the stories. Evelyn Smythe is absolutely fantastic, clever yet very human - and a lady who simply isn't prepared to call The Doctor on any nonsense he tries to do. And she's not afraid to knock him down a peg or two if necessary. It's also great how Evelyne's story was completed, there were no loose ends and her story closed in a magnificent manner - even her reaction to the 7th Doctor being so different, yet similar, from the 6th was excellent.

And then there's Eremin, who is interesting simply because she's not from contemporary Earth and actually has to work things out from her Ancient Egyptian perspective. It is a rather refreshing change that the character usually avoids the stereotypes as well.

Speaking of chagrins; I honestly don't like how much the Cloister Bell is used of late. I preferred it much more when it was a rather rare "we are so screwed" alarm as opposed to "Oh bother, maybe I should do something".
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Not sure if anybody's posted this yet but a new novel will feature the War Doctor and take place during the Time war: http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-war...-war-62958.htm

Say what you like about Moffatt (and I say he's mostly awesome), but he's given fandom whole new Doc' to play with, in terms of books, comics, and (no pun intended) who knows what else in years to come. Seems like a pretty good 50th birthday pressie!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Speaking of Big Finish, I absolutely love some of the audio-only companions they have in the stories. Evelyn Smythe is absolutely fantastic, clever yet very human - and a lady who simply isn't prepared to call The Doctor on any nonsense he tries to do. And she's not afraid to knock him down a peg or two if necessary. It's also great how Evelyne's story was completed, there were no loose ends and her story closed in a magnificent manner - even her reaction to the 7th Doctor being so different, yet similar, from the 6th was excellent.
    I could not stand Evelyn. Partly, I guess, cos she was a big part of Big Finish's 'neutering' of the 6th Doc'. But even as a character in her own right, I just found her irritating. The only other BF companion I never liked was C'rizz, simply cos he was so dull (and the guy playing him didn't help).

As for the rest though, Charley's obviously top of the list. Flip's pretty cool too, even if she does sometimes come across as the Big Finish version of Ace - in so much as she's very much a contemporary youth speaking in a way that middle-aged men think contemporary youths speak. I also liked Thomas Brewster, although he's perhaps more of a recurring character than a companion.
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 05-05-2014 at 02:58 PM.

Oh, somehow I forgot about Hecs! The tie back to an earlier adventure with the 6th Doctor, the sub-plot between him and Ace, the way he was an everyday sort of character yet one that constantly strove to stand up for the right thing ... even his end. Fantastic character and well acted.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

One day I will get around to the Doctor Who audio plays and catch up on the novels (I have at least read some of them) but what I think Doctor Who is missing is a mature animated ongoing show.

I think the 8th Doctor living during the time war would be the perfect place to start an incontinuity (or expanded universe continuity) animated series. At the time the Doctor obviously had a stack of secrets even from the Timelords, a gothic interior for the TARDIS, a great sense of dress and I imagine pretty nasty Daleks that were possibly even mid evolution to the ones that RTD introduced.

BANNED

One day I will get around to the Doctor Who audio plays and catch up on the novels (I have at least read some of them) but what I think Doctor Who is missing is a mature animated ongoing show.
    What you mean with mature? As in PG 13 or as in Batman:TAS?

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    What you mean with mature? As in PG 13 or as in Batman:TAS?
    Clone Wars level of maturity would do for me just NOT Ultimate Spider-Man kiddy stuff.

Something like this, perhaps?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Something like this, perhaps?

Heh, that guy has been animating the most recent reconstructions.
    Tenth Planet looked pretty damn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB788m2iAnE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wASEpjDsLGo

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    Heh, that guy has been animating the most recent reconstructions.
    Tenth Planet looked pretty damn good.
    Yeah. I definitely preferred that style over that weird Captain Pugwash/Terrance and Philip animation they used for The Ice Warriors.

No, it really isn't. There's enough material which has been nicked by adults and made 'dark' or 'mature'. Who is a kids programme. Taking it out of their hands isn't fair.