Page 41 of 581 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Exactly. We're supposed to notice this sin of omission. It's a telling point on which probably the rest of the series will depend. I think it will be immediately addressed in the next episode where presumably 12 asks Clara if he's a good man.

I wonder what others thought of the idea floated that he isn't really the Doctor but the Master. I could see Moffat pulling that kind of trick on us. But I think there would be a full scale revolution if that bait and switch materialized.

On the other hand, I can imagine Clara or Danny Pink (who calls himself Danny Pink?) as the actual 12th Doctor that doesn't remember s/he's the Doctor and needs to find her/his fob watch.
    Capaldi as the Master was an April Fools Joke the idiotically got spread around as a "rumor." The idea that a lifelong Who fan like Mr. Capaldi would agree to the lie (and give up a chance to play a dream role) is ridiculous.

Not even having Pink as the first POC Doctor would make up for such a lame deception.

*EDIT: Okay not to harp on this further, but seriously any piece of theorizing or fan-fiction that people spread around as a "rumor" makes my blood boil (especially when alleged "news" sits run them as a story). And in this case, it's just completely nonsensical. It would imply that Matt Smith regenerated into the "real" Doctor off-screen, and that his final speech in "Time of the Doctor"-- ie. one of only two truly honest and beautiful scenes in that episode-- would have been a ruse by The Master? Ugh. So stupid.
    Last edited by T.D.; 08-27-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Retired

Is it type casting that Capaldi is made out to be a dark Doctor? And are people assuming that because of other roles he's done where he was dark? I haven't seen a lot of his other work, except on DOCTOR WHO and TORCHWOOD. To me Peter Capaldi is still that nice young man from LOCAL HERO, who had the affair with the mermaid scientist. And for me, Capaldi in that role was always a symbol of wide-eyed optimism. I would love to see that same spirit in his Doctor.

Is it type casting that Capaldi is made out to be a dark Doctor? And are people assuming that because of other roles he's done where he was dark? I haven't seen a lot of his other work, except on DOCTOR WHO and TORCHWOOD. To me Peter Capaldi is still that nice young man from LOCAL HERO, who had the affair with the mermaid scientist. And for me, Capaldi in that role was always a symbol of wide-eyed optimism. I would love to see that same spirit in his Doctor.
    I think it's largely due his Malcom Tucker that people think "dark," "intense," and "angry" when they think Capaldi.

Also: the attack eyebrows.

Retired

But really isn't that type casting? Just because an actor is identified with a certain role, he shouldn't be expected to always play the same character. Where would Bryan Cranston be, if he had allowed himself to be type-cast as Hal?

A lot of people associate Rowan Atkinson with Mr. Bean while others associate him with Black Adder.

Just as a matter of principle, I think it's bad to pigeon-hole actors. Of course, in my joking way I was associating Capaldi with his role in LOCAL HERO--but just to counter the balance. Maybe I'm better off never having seen this Malcolm Tucker character, so I don't have those expectations.

Everybody should go watch LOCAL HERO now. It's a great movie.

But really isn't that type casting? Just because an actor is identified with a certain role, he shouldn't be expected to always play the same character. Where would Bryan Cranston be, if he had allowed himself to be type-cast as Hal?

A lot of people associate Rowan Atkinson with Mr. Bean while others associate him with Black Adder.

Just as a matter of principle, I think it's bad to pigeon-hole actors. Of course, in my joking way I was associating Capaldi with his role in LOCAL HERO--but just to counter the balance. Maybe I'm better off never having seen this Malcolm Tucker character, so I don't have those expectations.

Everybody should go watch LOCAL HERO now. It's a great movie.
    Yeah, it's definitely a form of typecasting, but that's not always a bad thing. For example, while Heath Ledger was cast against-type as The Joker in "The Dark Knight," Michael Caine, Christian Bale, and Morgan Freeman were playing characters right in the middle of their wheelhouse.

It depends on the actor, depends on the role, depends on the needs of the story. It's important not to pigeon-hole actors, but it's also important for actors to play to their strengths as well. Pertwee played against his comedic background as the most straight-laced, authoritative Doctor there was; Davison and Tennant, on the other hand, played the role in exactly the way you might expect. Nothing wrong with either approach, really.

But anyway, at this point, obviously most people's perceptions of Capaldi as a darker Doctor are the result of having watched "Deep Breath." And from what I understand, Capaldi was pretty upfront about giving his input as to the direction of the show; it seems this is what he wants from his Doctor.

Retired

I still think it's good to assume the Doctor is a good man until he gives proof of being otherwise.

There were some very nice moments with the Doctor in "Deep Breath" where he showed himself to be very caring and kind. Like with the Dinosaur. And even with Clara he was trying to be kind. Vastra seems to imply that 11 wasn't kind by letting Clara think he was her boyfriend, when that's just not possible. Although I still maintain that 10 was the worst offender and its crummy chips for 11 to tag him with that allegation. But they make the characters say and do a lot of silly things for the sake of advancing the plot.

BANNED

I think it's a bait and switch, playing on Malcolm Tucker's reputation. This is not going to be a dark Doctor at all, or not more so than most of the others have been. I mean, I don't get the impression that Tennant is considerd to be dark Doctor and he was a complete monster at times.

My prediction is that Capaldi is going to be an old-fashioned, pre-restart kind of Doctor.

I haven't watched a lot of Tennant's tenure but wasn't his last few episodes and Series 4, specifically post-regen into 10.2, where he started to become a little bit darker?

Even Smith had his dark side. "A good man doesn't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many."

I still think it's good to assume the Doctor is a good man until he gives proof of being otherwise.
    Just because someone is dark doesn't mean they're not good deep down. Hell, Tennant's last couple episodes emphasized that point. Eccleston's Doctor was dark only because of PTSD, which he himself was very much aware of and tried to steer away from it. They just have different ways of accomplishing goals, and even dark people in the show still abide by a certain set of standards so that they don't cross over into evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    I haven't watched a lot of Tennant's tenure but wasn't his last few episodes and Series 4, specifically post-regen into 10.2, where he started to become a little bit darker?
    Yeah, Ten started out goofy and silly, then gradually slipped into megalomania. He basically convinced himself that he was a god, worthy of passing judgment on the universe.

We all know how that ended.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RockyBanks View Post
    Yeah, Ten started out goofy and silly, then gradually slipped into megalomania. He basically convinced himself that he was a god, worthy of passing judgment on the universe.

We all know how that ended.
    the Time Lord Triumphant

totally level headed there

Retired

Hm, actually I think Ten starts out dark-ish then goes lighter then gets dark-ish again. I was reminded of this--I think it was on that "Ultimate Time Lord" program. But when he regenerates, Ten is a no second chances kind of Doctor. And he torpedos the career of Harriet Jones. Then he becomes goofy boyfriend Doctor. Then he becomes I'm so sad for my hurt feelings Doctor and treats Martha like garbage. Then he gets a bit funny with Donna Doctor Donna. Then he becomes sad, wandering through time and moping Doctor. Then he becomes I hate you Wilf, I love you Wilf, oh you stupid git Wilf, now I have to go--I don't wanna go Doctor.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/into-th...view-65964.htm

Doctor Who TV has just posted their review of Into the Dalek and it does state that that we will actually see the Daleks exterminate people! Thank you!!!

What's even more great is that peter capald's Doctor apparently gets even more darker then what we saw in Deep Breath. It's also a fairly positive review as well, so get on.
    Last edited by THE DANGER965; 08-28-2014 at 03:03 PM.
    I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers... I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And we have, man, we have, all of us. Homes, and our families, normal lives. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it's giving us something. It is giving us a chance.

Retired

As much as I can manage it, I like to stay away from reviews until after I've seen the episode in question. I like to view the show and make up my own mind, before having my opiinion coloured by others. Maybe I should force myself to stay away from websites about DW, 48 hours before it airs in my timezone.