Page 420 of 582 FirstFirst ... 320370410416417418419420421422423424430470520 ... LastLast
Results 6,286 to 6,300 of 8718

I can't see Boyega as the Doctor but maybe he would surprise me.

Boyega and Jodie of course were the two leads of "Attack the Block" together as well.

Come to think of it, apart from the R-ratedness of it, alien monsters in a London flat is kind of WHOish.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    As mentioned this isn't exactly a new development. The last few years of the classic series strongly hinted that there was more to the Doctor than the Time Lord who got bored and stole a TARDIS that got stuck on Earth etc.-with hints dropping that he was a contemporary of Rassilon and Omega somehow. This was intended, at the time, to raise more mystery about the Doctor (The title is after all, "Doctor Who"). The Seventh Doctor novels-some of which were written by writers from that era (and also RTD wrote one years before the new series)-hinted that he perhaps a reincarnation or clone of an ancient time lord, but only has a vague memory of 'being' him, but enough to know some stuff about Gallifrey's ancient times. Of course, the "half human" stuff from the TV movie made things even more complicated.

The new series has occasionally dived into this here and there (The woman in "End of time", some of Matt Smith's run, the "Hybrid" arc) although those were never pretty much spelled out like Timeless child was.
    Yes, but that stuff was alluded to. They never explicitly set it in stone. The best example is when the writer pitched Silver Nemesis to JNT. He basically said, "The Doctor is God". JNT said, "You can do it. But you can't say it."

You can allude to it by posing questions about the Doctor's origin. But never, ever must it be set in stone. The whole show is built around that question.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    The only rumors I heard/read was that Jodie's management may want her to leave, as not to sour any of her future endeavors. Not sure how true that is, but I'd rather Chibs leave and Jodie stay before regenerating into the Ruth Doctor.
    We won't get the Ruth Doctor.

They want Jodie to leave because the ratings are declining and, since she is the face of the franchise, they want her to get out before they go even further into the toilet and have the blame lumped with her.

Started listening to "Masterful" and I dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    We won't get the Ruth Doctor.
    Nor Chibs leaving. This is is all wishful thinking on my part since everyone else was giving their own wishlist (ie picks for the new Doctor).

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Nor Chibs leaving. This is is all wishful thinking on my part since everyone else was giving their own wishlist (ie picks for the new Doctor).
    I'm in the camp of wishing Jodie would stay and Chibnall would leave. Alas.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I only want Chibnall to leave as well. IMO, Chibnall is the problem, not Jodie or anyone else. Why in the name of Gallifrey the BBC is giving him carte blanche to vandalize such a venerable institution boggles my mind.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

He was very successful with Broadchurch (Which had Tennant, Darvill and Jodie), and had been involved in producing/writing Torchwood as well. So I guess he was kind of heir apparent.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    He was very successful with Broadchurch (Which had Tennant, Darvill and Jodie), and had been involved in producing/writing Torchwood as well. So I guess he was kind of heir apparent.
    He had success earlier with Born and Bred.

But Broadchurch was massive (first series especially.) Chibnall got the gig because of it, but also because he is a reliable set of hands in that he can turn in a script at short notice and do so under budget (something he did when Moffat was having difficulty with series 7).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Even if Chibnall left, I am pretty sure Jodie would go with him. It is why Tennant left with RTD (despite Moffat approaching him to stay on for series 5). Usually to provide the new team a clean slate.

But, if a Doctor leaves, there is no guarantee the showrunner follows suit (RTD stayed beyond Eccleston, likewise Moffat when Smith bowed out.)

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Even if Chibnall left, I am pretty sure Jodie would go with him. It is why Tennant left with RTD (despite Moffat approaching him to stay on for series 5). Usually to provide the new team a clean slate.
    I realize that. Showrunner and Doctor tend to have a unique rapport. I also get it when showrunners want to start fresh. But I'm also a big fan of crossover of eras (I mean, for all of Chibnall's faults, I liked him writing Captain Jack, an RTD/Moffat creation. Likewise, I liked it when Moffat wrote the Simms Master and the Eighth Doctor, or even RTD writing the Fifth Doctor.), and I really wouldn't mind seeing a Doctor or a companion work over two showrunners.

But this also started on a topic of wishful thinking and wish lists, soooo...
    Last edited by Cyke; 01-05-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Totally agree that Jodie isn't the problem and Chibnall should leave. Jodie is likely going to end up like Collin Baker - eventually given a second chance on Big Finish where she proves she's a great Doctor in the right hands. Though ideally without the 'Fam' for every story.

Haley Atwell is still my preferred choice for the Doctor, though Kris Marshall would be awesome as well.

I sometimes think that the BBC should take a page from Disney+ and have a mini series in-between each season of Who to help with the gap. That would be the place for stuff like Torchwood, UNIT, the Paternoster Gang, Paul Mcgann back as the Eighth Doctor in the Time War, David or Matt returning for a couple of adventures, David Bradley as the First Doctor and Jo Martin as the Fugitive Doctor.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I never got to watch any of the Jodi episodes but to see the level of hate from videos and them blaming her for the shows decline is insane. But it was expected. Some weren't happy when she became the 1st female Doctor Who.

I'll say the Doctor will regenerate into a young actor in the next one. To try and recapture the youth spark of Tennent and Smith. To lure the audience back.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Chibnall's era isn't as bad as people say. Beyond the Timeless Child reveal, the episodes are pretty decent but underwhelming. If you got through series 10, you could get through these episodes.

Ps. Liam Neeson should be the Time War incarnation of Borusa, the Doctor's old teacher from the Academy.

Come on Big Finish .
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-06-2021 at 12:00 PM.