Page 425 of 580 FirstFirst ... 325375415421422423424425426427428429435475525 ... LastLast
Results 6,361 to 6,375 of 8689
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    It's interesting that no matter where you look you see people doing their best to take long running franchises and run them into the ground. Franchises such as Dr. Who, Star Wars, Star Trek, Terminator, Ghostbusters, Predator, Aliens etc.
    Because people come in and try to reinvent the wheel to either be 1. "Progressive" or 2. Prove how clever they are.

If something works, you leave it alone. Cobra Kai and the recent Disney+ Star Wars prove this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm more upset about Gallifrey being destroyed again.
    It was done for a cheap effect to "up the stakes". Taking Gallifrey out is just plain lazy and will now necessitate another contrived explanation to bring them back. How they had it set up was brilliant. Gallifrey was still around if future writers decided to use it, but the setup meant that it kind of wasn't.

Wasn't the setup established pretty much just a copy of Vanishing Point from DC with Gallifrey existing at the end of time? Personally I'd have gone with Gallifrey being one second out of sync with the time line.

A hard reboot would work more for an overseas adaptation. Like if they did another American version or went to Greece, Japan etc. The 1996 movie was too reliant on the past show. A better version would be something like "Rose". A self-contained adventure with a fully formed Doctor.

On last night's new episode of Who's Line Is It Anyway?, one of the games was the singing "Hoedown" and the cast had to make up a song related to being a doctor. Wayne Brady's bit had him singing about not wanting to be a medical doctor, but rather he'd rather be "Doctor Who". It was a cute little thing.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Speaking of reboots, there was that weird news about David Yates doing a Doctor Who movie a decade ago in the middle of the Matt Smith era.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Speaking of reboots, there was that weird news about David Yates doing a Doctor Who movie a decade ago in the middle of the Matt Smith era.
    That's interesting. Any more tidbits?

That's interesting. Any more tidbits?
    IIRC, Steven Moffat publicly shot down the idea. I believe he was concerned that the BBC were actually considering having a parallel Doctor Who project on the big screen featuring a totally different Doctor than Smith, cutting the Cardiff team out completely. Moffat left no doubts to just how opposed to the idea he was.

I think it was not that long afterwards that giving the specials a limited theatrical release became a thing anyways. There's even been some classic stories fairly recently shown on the big screen too ("Genesis of the Daleks" I think had one) to help with the blu-ray line.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think it was not that long afterwards that giving the specials a limited theatrical release became a thing anyways. There's even been some classic stories fairly recently shown on the big screen too ("Genesis of the Daleks" I think had one) to help with the blu-ray line.
    There has been US event runs on specials that started in the Smith era and have gone back to older Doctors.

The last one I saw was in the Tennat finale done together as a movie.

Looking at when that started, it appears to happen around the time of the whole movie hubbub.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

A hard reboot would work more for an overseas adaptation. Like if they did another American version or went to Greece, Japan etc. The 1996 movie was too reliant on the past show. A better version would be something like "Rose". A self-contained adventure with a fully formed Doctor.
    They have tried. It was never picked up like most UK turned American or other country shows have done.

Now there is NOTHING that says you can't do a different series with another time lord.

Because people come in and try to reinvent the wheel to either be 1. "Progressive" or 2. Prove how clever they are.
    No that is not the reason n most cases. It comes down to MONEY and OWNERSHIP.

You own a network and want to do a show about teens. You see a show in another country that is already doing that to rave reviews. You attempt to negotiate to bring that show to the USA (never mind it's already on PBS in the USA). A deal is in the works until you tell them what you want CHANGED. They tell you to BLEEP off. You go to someone who is ALREADY working for you and tell them to do YOUR version. 3 years later that person is apologizing for the lack of (BLANK) on the show.

What show am I talking about? 90210. The show they WANTED originally? Degrassi the franchise that boasted 27 years of content. Unlike the 15 years of 90210.

Lets say you pitch to ME-a show about a teen female prodigy working at a hospital. I decline your pitch. However I look at what I OWN the rights to since I am DISNEY.
    I see I own the rights to Doogie Howser MD. 3 months later Disney announces a female version of the show.

I want to do a movie about 2 stupid cops-I see I own the rights to 21 Jump Street. Hello 21 Jump Street the movie with little to no links to the show.

American Pie, Police Academy, Porky's and so on-how many do you NEED the original cast? Heck they did a version of Porky's without the original cast and featured the son from Picket Fences.

Look at Cooley High-the tv series What Happening is that movie with changes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    They have tried. It was never picked up like most UK turned American or other country shows have done.

Now there is NOTHING that says you can't do a different series with another time lord.

No that is not the reason n most cases. It comes down to MONEY and OWNERSHIP.

You own a network and want to do a show about teens. You see a show in another country that is already doing that to rave reviews. You attempt to negotiate to bring that show to the USA (never mind it's already on PBS in the USA). A deal is in the works until you tell them what you want CHANGED. They tell you to BLEEP off. You go to someone who is ALREADY working for you and tell them to do YOUR version. 3 years later that person is apologizing for the lack of (BLANK) on the show.

What show am I talking about? 90210. The show they WANTED originally? Degrassi the franchise that boasted 27 years of content. Unlike the 15 years of 90210.

Lets say you pitch to ME-a show about a teen female prodigy working at a hospital. I decline your pitch. However I look at what I OWN the rights to since I am DISNEY.
    I see I own the rights to Doogie Howser MD. 3 months later Disney announces a female version of the show.

I want to do a movie about 2 stupid cops-I see I own the rights to 21 Jump Street. Hello 21 Jump Street the movie with little to no links to the show.

American Pie, Police Academy, Porky's and so on-how many do you NEED the original cast? Heck they did a version of Porky's without the original cast and featured the son from Picket Fences.

Look at Cooley High-the tv series What Happening is that movie with changes.
    Spelling originally wanted Degrassi, yes. By that point Degrassi had been on air in Canada for three years (Not counting Kids Of since Junior High was essentially a reboot) and Degrassi High had started late in 89. So he just took the concept of a high school setting and featuring topical issues. It did imitate Degrassi for the first season, but by the second it had become a full on soap opera.

My point, though, is that most franchises have a essence. They often work because the concept they are built on is sound. In the case of Chibnall, the dude came in trying to rewrite the fundamental aspects of the show when it didn't need it. They pulled the same stunt over at Disney with the new Star Wars trilogy (Abrams pretty much just ripped off A New Hope and Johnson came in with the intention to subvert expectations to prove what a auteur he is). The franchise has course corrected and now the fractures in the fanbase is healing.

All you need for Doctor Who to work is The Doctor, Companions, The TARDIS and accessible stories that can satisfy long term fans with continuity nods, yet doesn't alienate the average audience member. Chibnall has done nothing but take a concept that was sound and upended it to prove how great a writer he is. It is ego pure and simple.

Kind of interesting how far Doctor Who homages in American entertainment seems to go. Of course Bill & Ted might seem like one of the earlier examples, but just noticed this from the bizzare Andy Kaufman robot company Heartbeeps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoaJJkcps1c

Could be just a coincidence (as there are other domed robots through the years-R2-D2 etc) but it just seems just way too similar in design to *not* be a homage to a Dalek.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Kinda weird that Seven isn't in the trailer since it says he is involved... maybe that's part of the twist. Curious to see how this might relate back to Sirens of Time too, if it does. Haven't heard anything with Constance in yet but it's awesome to have Turlough and Charley involved too.

A rundown of a few Big Finish releases.