Page 430 of 582 FirstFirst ... 330380420426427428429430431432433434440480530 ... LastLast
Results 6,436 to 6,450 of 8716

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    We'll see about that. I don't have any data either way.
    The data is easy to find. It is literally everywhere online.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    The data is easy to find. It is literally everywhere online.
    Can you actually link it to wokeness?

Can you actually link it to wokeness?
    That's what people cite as why they've stopped watching (in many cases after decades) and bad writing overall.

Ultimate Member

That's what people cite as why they've stopped watching (in many cases after decades) and bad writing overall.
    Ok but I've heard people complain about "politics in muh sci fi" before when I thought the same things were either just fine or had problems beside that. Dr. Who fans complaining isn't enough. I've not been impressed with the recent seasons of the show, but for separate reasons.

I looked online for data and found the decline was mainly due to BBC competing with streaming networks, not "politics"

Ok but I've heard people complain about "politics in muh sci fi" before when I thought the same things were either just fine or had problems beside that. Dr. Who fans complaining isn't enough. I've not been impressed with the recent seasons of the show, but for separate reasons.

I looked online for data and found the decline was mainly due to BBC competing with streaming networks, not "politics"
    Well, the complaining plus the bad ratings and merch sales are what I'm going by.

I don't buy that. Doctor Who has always been uber-popular with its solid fanbase especially in the UK the brand loyalty was insane over there until recently. The only time something like this happened before (massive decline) was back in the late 1980s when a showrunner also tried to radically change the formula starting with Colin Baker.

Ultimate Member

Well, the complaining plus the bad ratings and merch sales are what I'm going by.

I don't buy that. Doctor Who has always been uber-popular with its solid fanbase especially in the UK. The only time something like this happened before (massive decline) was back in the late 1980s when a showrunner tried to radically change the formula starting with Colin Baker.
    Well, I don't buy a bunch of older fans complaining about a Trump parody destroying their beloved Who, when Whovians always complain

Plus, you told me to look for data

Well, I don't buy a bunch of older fans complaining about a Trump parody destroying their beloved Who, when Whovians always complain

Plus, you told me to look for data
    That is not it. The Trump thing is one small part. I never even brought that up another user did.

Look, I have a job I can't argue with you all day. In fact, I've got to leave soon. The data is there in abundance. The streaming service excuse is just that an excuse used by BBC and its allies to cover their ass. If Dr. Who brand loyalty was intact the decline would be much, much less I'd wager. You can believe me or not, believe me, I don't care. Unless things change I predict Dr. Who won't last much longer.

I think it can be saved but it needs a much better showrunner.
    No, my question is what will happen/your reaction be if it's not cancelled?

Ultimate Member

That is not it. The Trump thing is one small part. I never even brought that up another user did.

Look, I have a job I can't argue with you all day. In fact, I've got to leave soon. The data is there in abundance. The streaming service excuse is just that an excuse used by BBC and its allies to cover their ass. If Dr. Who brand loyalty was intact the decline would be much, much less I'd wager. You can believe me or not, believe me, I don't care. Unless things change I predict Dr. Who won't last much longer.
    Ok, but people always say the sky is falling when it comes to Dr. Who

And I've looked at sources but you don't seem to believe them.

I don't buy that. Doctor Who has always been uber-popular with its solid fanbase especially in the UK the brand loyalty was insane over there until recently. The only time something like this happened before (massive decline) was back in the late 1980s when a showrunner also tried to radically change the formula starting with Colin Baker.
    Ratings for the show have been steadily dropping since Tennet's first season. I don't think current low ratings indicative that "wokeness" is somehow tarnishing the franchise.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Ratings for the show have been steadily dropping since Tennet's first season. I don't think current low ratings indicative that "wokeness" is somehow tarnishing the franchise.
    That's what I thought. The data doesn't bear out the anti-woke outrage

Arrow

That decline briefly reversed with Jodie's introduction before becoming more pronounced due I'd contend to bad writing and long-term fans being turned off my "wokeness". People wanted to give the new direction a chance but the preachy low-quality writing has doomed the series. -

"The average overnight audience for Whittaker's full Doctor Who debut, The Woman Who Fell to Earth, was 8.2 million, peaking at around 9 million towards the end of the episode at 7:40/7:45pm (when some viewers may have been tuning in to catch the beginning of the Strictly Come Dancing results show)."

Edit - Anyhow, have fun people. I'm off to work.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-11-2021 at 09:50 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Eccleston, Tennat and Smith managed to maintain averages above 7 million per series during their tenures. The show started seeing a decline during Capaldi's run. Whitaker's run is following the same trend.
    "Cable was right!"

That decline briefly reversed with Jodie's introduction before becoming more pronounced due I'd contend to bad writing and long-term fans being turned off my "wokeness". People wanted to give the new direction a chance but the preachy low-quality writing has doomed the series. -

"The average overnight audience for Whittaker's full Doctor Who debut, The Woman Who Fell to Earth, was 8.2 million, peaking at around 9 million towards the end of the episode at 7:40/7:45pm (when some viewers may have been tuning in to catch the beginning of the Strictly Come Dancing results show)."
    The premiere was up, sure. They almost always are. But the subsequent dip looks pretty normal for the season overall.

The premiere was up, sure. They almost always are. But the subsequent dip looks pretty normal for the season overall.
    Not by this much of a jump. I think they could have kept some of those fans interested if the writing was better and they resisted going ultra woke including that horrendous recent retcon. There was a lot of goodwill until Chibs squandered it.