Page 437 of 581 FirstFirst ... 337387427433434435436437438439440441447487537 ... LastLast
Results 6,541 to 6,555 of 8701

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?artic...U_IfuNNS8pYIpg

Big Finish releases for April.

Dalek Universe and Echoes of Extinction are on the list to buy.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-06-2021 at 05:32 AM.

Should be interesting. Apart from the museum piece in DALEK he's the only regular Doctor in the new series who never faced them (Funny thing is, it was the Daleks that used to be the overused ones, now it's pretty much the Cybermen again-we've had *three* season finales with the both the Cybermen *and* the Master(!).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Should be interesting. Apart from the museum piece in DALEK he's the only regular Doctor in the new series who never faced them (Funny thing is, it was the Daleks that used to be the overused ones, now it's pretty much the Cybermen again-we've had *three* season finales with the both the Cybermen *and* the Master(!).
    They both are. I love the Cybermen (my favourite monster) and even I am getting sick of them. The Daleks are still overused though. Look at all the Dalek stuff Big Finish does now and it has only gotten worse since Nick Briggs became the main man over there. This stupid contract with the Nation estate is hampering The Daleks. The Daleks are nothing without Doctor Who and vice versa. So this incessant need that they "must be used every year" is just causing diminishing returns.

The Daleks and Cybermen both need to go away for a few years and brought back only when there is a strong enough story for them.

Yeah, now that I think about it while they're not showing up as often in the TV series proper, the Daleks were all over Timelord Victorious last year. (BTW did that crossover explain why everybody on Earth has suddenly forgotten the Daleks again?).

Also the Cyberlords while an interesting visual don't really make that much sense as a concept either with regeneration or Cyberconversion. Seems like they would kind of almost cancel each other out?

Ultimate Member

Yeah, now that I think about it while they're not showing up as often in the TV series proper, the Daleks were all over Timelord Victorious last year. (BTW did that crossover explain why everybody on Earth has suddenly forgotten the Daleks again?).

Also the Cyberlords while an interesting visual don't really make that much sense as a concept either with regeneration or Cyberconversion. Seems like they would kind of almost cancel each other out?
    Tbh, people forgetting aliens after every invasion makes no sense to me in DW

I like the Cybermen that talk like this. It adds to the creepiness of their appearance. IMO its as iconic as how the Daleks speak, but unlike the Daleks they keep trying to update them, appearance and voice alike.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Tbh, people forgetting aliens after every invasion makes no sense to me in DW
    It never has to me either. Governments and UNIT are well poised to dismiss most invasions as hoaxes. This covers half of it. The other is the explanation regarding humans actively suppressing their memories in order to cope with the trauma (which makes sense to a degree). However, not everyone would forget.

It becomes more ludicrous the more elaborate the invasions become . The Yeti in the London Underground and the Cyber invasion were easily waved away. But then you have something like Journey's End where you have multiple planets in Earth's orbit and Daleks swarming everywhere.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    It never has to me either. Governments and UNIT are well poised to dismiss most invasions as hoaxes. This covers half of it. The other is the explanation regarding humans actively suppressing their memories in order to cope with the trauma (which makes sense to a degree). However, not everyone would forget.

It becomes more ludicrous the more elaborate the invasions become . The Yeti in the London Underground and the Cyber invasion were easily waved away. But then you have something like Journey's End where you have multiple planets in Earth's orbit and Daleks swarming everywhere.
    Exactly. Being invaded by aliens should be as expected as afternoon tea

The season 5 crackstory did sort of explain why Amy didn't remember the events of Journey's End but presumably the Doctor's reset fixed that...

Astonishing Member

The season 5 crackstory did sort of explain why Amy didn't remember the events of Journey's End but presumably the Doctor's reset fixed that...
    That is one instance, yes. Ace didn't even recall past invasions either when the Seventh Doctor mentioned them (I think it was after she mentioned how people would remember the Daleks being at Coal hill in 63). It is a recurring theme. I think the only instance where a traumatic event was wiped away was in The Last Of The Time Lords when the paradox engine was blown up and time was reset to one year previous. The thing with the Monks were as well.

But for humanity to casually ignore things like the earth being pulled into the Medusa Cascade or the Cybermen Invasion during Dark Water/Death In Heaven is just glaring at this point. Hence why I prefer smaller based invasions where a spearhead is trying to breach Earth's defences and comes up against the Doctor and various allies. A race against the clock to prevent a invasion generates more tension than absolute carnage breaking loose with untold carnage and destruction.

A lot of the stuff mentioned to Ace involved UNIT though and they could've found a way to cover it up probably. Ditto with the Remembrance incident-there's even a fair amount of dialogue about a cover story being prepared, and Allison says she might write the story in her memoirs-but then realizes that it'll be "subject to security vetting".

Dalek Universe 1 comes out today. It's a fun set of stories and one interesting twist.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-14-2021 at 09:23 PM.

Helen McRory died. She had a cool guest spot on WHO during Matt's first season as Rosanna in Vampires in Venice.

Helen McRory died. She had a cool guest spot on WHO during Matt's first season as Rosanna in Vampires in Venice.
    I just saw that on the official channel.

That was one of my favorite early 11 episodes.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Damn. She was my dark horse pick for #14. RIP Queen.

Echoes of Extinction comes out today.