Page 446 of 581 FirstFirst ... 346396436442443444445446447448449450456496546 ... LastLast
Results 6,676 to 6,690 of 8704

Man ... I am IN TOO DEEP on the 8th Doctor via Big Finish.

Any one-off tales of his you would recommend?

I have all the stuff from Dark Eyes onward. So I am looking before that.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Man ... I am IN TOO DEEP on the 8th Doctor via Big Finish.

Any one-off tales of his you would recommend?

I have all the stuff from Dark Eyes onward. So I am looking before that.
    Most of his stuff beforehand were done as seasons from Storm Warning onwards. So there is never really a "one-off" as it were. But Chimes Of Midnight is pretty easy to jump into. Seasons Of Fear, Terror Firma and Silver Turk are others.

The stuff with Lucie Miller is great too. The first few "seasons" had ups/downs. But the 4th was on fire. That one rarely has a disappointing story in it.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I can also recommend the special boxset they did a couple of years back with Eight and Lucie that's set between Season 1 and 2 of their adventures together, nice mix of stories with different genres but also a secret story tying them gradually together.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Love the 8th Doctor stuff. Blood of the Daleks was the first Big Finish audio I listened to. Been hooked on em since. His stories really made me more annoyed that he never got a TV run
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Most of his stuff beforehand were done as seasons from Storm Warning onwards. So there is never really a "one-off" as it were. But Chimes Of Midnight is pretty easy to jump into. Seasons Of Fear, Terror Firma and Silver Turk are others.

The stuff with Lucie Miller is great too. The first few "seasons" had ups/downs. But the 4th was on fire. That one rarely has a disappointing story in it.
    Thank you! Which one would you start with?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I can also recommend the special boxset they did a couple of years back with Eight and Lucie that's set between Season 1 and 2 of their adventures together, nice mix of stories with different genres but also a secret story tying them gradually together.
    Is that the Doctor Who Adventures series/set?

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Love the 8th Doctor stuff. Blood of the Daleks was the first Big Finish audio I listened to. Been hooked on em since. His stories really made me more annoyed that he never got a TV run
    With the Doctor alluding to using "old faces" under the tenure of the 11th, I have long since hoped for a future Doctor to use 8's face, albeit older.

I would love to see him get a proper on-screen sendoff.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Wonder if we'll ever see such a "degeneration" in the series. I think there was some talk of it in the 80s mainly when they asked Sydney Newman for some input on how to "fix" the show, and he was basically saying bring back Patrick Troughton.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Wonder if we'll ever see such a "degeneration" in the series. I think there was some talk of it in the 80s mainly when they asked Sydney Newman for some input on how to "fix" the show, and he was basically saying bring back Patrick Troughton.
    I mean, they theoretically could. But would they have the actor reprise the Doctor they way they performed it originally or would they allow them to play it differently?

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    I mean, they theoretically could. But would they have the actor reprise the Doctor they way they performed it originally or would they allow them to play it differently?
    This seems like something that would be perfect for the comics or Big Finish.

The only way I could see it pulled-off live action would be if they did it right after a regen, or very close.

Even Tenant looked noticeably older when he came back for the special and he has always been baby-faced.

There's actually an old Sixth Doctor novel featuring the Rani with a Doctor and Peri stuck in a sort of pocket universe version of Ptomeliac Egypt that she's messing with-and the Sixth Doctor starts to physically revert back to his older selves while Peri changes into her bird form from Vengeance on Varos. It's kind of an interesting read and I remember there's basically a scene where there's a flying Peri carrying around the rapidly shifting Doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Even Tenant looked noticeably older when he came back for the special and he has always been baby-faced.
    Meh I just mentally chalked it up to the same reason stated for the 5th Doctor looking older in Time Crash.

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Meh I just mentally chalked it up to the same reason stated for the 5th Doctor looking older in Time Crash.
    Indeed!

Also, in both instances I think the story and delivery made me forget about it after the first few minutes.

Troughton in his 80's appearances too, although I think he was wearing a wig or hair dye in Three Doctors. Wasn't as noticeable with Hartnell (in three Doctors) and Pertwee (In Five) because it'd only been a decade or less since they left (Although Pertwee's hair is a bit more feathery).

I finally listened to Out of Time 2 and it's a fun romp.

I'm not that invested in old doctors returning as new regenerations. Just because there is a been there done that kind quality to them. I rather just see new incarnations. So even if an previous actor returns, I rather see them given a new role or take. DC tends to do this in its various tv shows.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I finally listened to Out of Time 2 and it's a fun romp.

I'm not that invested in old doctors returning as new regenerations. Just because there is a been there done that kind quality to them. I rather just see new incarnations. So even if an previous actor returns, I rather see them given a new role or take. DC tends to do this in its various tv shows.
    I think the case for McGann getting a second proper (or truthfully, full) on-screen run is a bit different than seeing Baker or Tennant come back.

By and large, I agree with you. I'd love to see some more of the Caretaker ... perhaps he regens into previous Doctors, just older each time.

Troughton in his 80's appearances too, although I think he was wearing a wig or hair dye in Three Doctors. Wasn't as noticeable with Hartnell (in three Doctors) and Pertwee (In Five) because it'd only been a decade or less since they left (Although Pertwee's hair is a bit more feathery).
    Which is funny because I had read that Troughton is adamant that it is his natural hair.