Page 45 of 582 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145545 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Or maybe the Master got himself an evil TARDIS (like Idris only bad?)
    Well, she'd have been burnt out and dead by now then, wouldn't she?

She probably does have a Tardis though, or tech very similar to one.
    Compare what happend to Journey at the beginning of the episode to what happend to Gretchen at the end.

I was thinking about how the Dalek says that the Doctor is a good Dalek and it hit me. The Daleks destroyed millions of stars but new ones are constantly born and Rusty finds some beauty in that. The Doctor has killed millions of Daleks and new ones are constantly being born but the Doctor doesn't find any sort of beauty in it just unending hatred for the Daleks. The same sort of thing that he calls the Daleks out on.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Capaldi's Doctor is similar to Hartnell's...
    Tom Baker did tell Matt Smith's Doctor he may revisit a few favorites. I was wondering if several (or all) of the next Doctors will have a bit of their corresponding number in their personality.

Retired

The original series with Hartnell and Troughton (up to a point) used to alternate between historical and futuristic stories. Well, this pattern has been followed thusfar. But I expect the pattern to break down in a few more episodes. The first story of DOCTOR WHO went back to the stone age--well this Doctor went back to the dinosaurs but off camera. The second story had the Doctor and the Daleks, this story has the same and 12 refers back to that original meeting. The next story for the original Tardis crew was all on board the Tardis, but the story after that was on Earth in the time of Marco Polo. And for 12 and Clara the next story will be in the time of Robin Hood (unless it's about Rocket Robin Hood--but I don't think we could get that lucky).

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    I was thinking about how the Dalek says that the Doctor is a good Dalek and it hit me. The Daleks destroyed millions of stars but new ones are constantly born and Rusty finds some beauty in that. The Doctor has killed millions of Daleks and new ones are constantly being born but the Doctor doesn't find any sort of beauty in it just unending hatred for the Daleks. The same sort of thing that he calls the Daleks out on.
    New star = life. Daleks = death. Bit of a difference there.

I'm impressed with how courageous they've been with the Doctor's new characterisation. Granted, Christopher Eccleston's Doctor was frequently grumpy, even contemptuous, but Capaldi... the Doctor hasn't been this outwardly callous since the Classic era. A statement such as "He's the top layer, if you want to say a few words" would have been shocking even with Tom Baker or Hartnell's Doctor.

It's great (Not to mention it simply being a very good line.)

Alrighty just watched Into the Dalek and...man oh man, I loved this episode.

http://couchci.blogspot.com/2014/09/...ason-34_1.html

Journey was a nice character and it's a shame she didn't join up. Though Danny may do good too if they're going with the "soldier" angle. Also really dug the Doctor and Clara dynamic here, still showing that even though Clara is with him again, they've still got issues. The Doctor and his banter with Rusty, especially near the end, was just brilliant.

If Deep Breath is a spiritual sequel to The Girl in the Fireplace, Into the Dalek is definitely a followup and closure to Dalek, especially in regards to how The Doctor may be just as bad as those good old pepper shaker robots. The mystery with Missy also deepens, and I hope this becomes a recurring thing in the episodes to link them despite Series 8 being marketed as less over-arching.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of the Doctor and the Daleks being unable to completely get rid of something.

Yeah, that's what I got out of it too. The parallel of stars dying but being reborn again with The Doctor being unable to truly destroy his enemies as long as their is hatred in the universe, and The Daleks being unable to truly exterminate everybody else as long as there is still hope in the universe.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Journey was a nice character and it's a shame she didn't join up. Though Danny may do good too if they're going with the "soldier" angle.
    I'm sure once Danny Pink joins the Tardis crew he'll meet Journey Blue and love will bloom. They'll have a child, named Destiny Mauve, but she'll be abducted by a time warping conspiracy and left to be raised on an alien backwater planet, where in their language the child's name will get turned around to Purple Fate.

As you say though, EX-soldier would be the important difference. Danny Pink is no longer a soldier, as opposed to those the Doctor met in Into The Dalek. That could make a significant difference, really.

I mean, you did say Danny is an ex-soldier, but then go on to say he's a soldier, which is contradictory.

It depends on whether he finds Pink acts enough like a soldier, or to the extent tha the just can't work with him.

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    It's easier to imagine than the Master ever being married to a woman.
    I take it you didn't like the marriage thing of Season 3 then?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    It's easier to imagine than the Master ever being married to a woman.
    It's sort of expected if you want to be Prime Minister, mind control satelites or not. Besides, she was clearly not the loving wife, she was a power-hungry co-conspirator.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Stars TEND to mean life, and Daleks TEND to mean death, but I would argue not automatically.

I would say by someone like Caan, I think, from Season 4, or Rusty from this episode, you can find a lack of killing, with the former, and at least not pure hate, or a desire only to kill, with the former. He admired how, even with all the stars Daleks destroyed, another was born. Let the Doctor and co in to help, however that may have ended up.

Listening to the Doctor as he tried to convince him of something better, something good, and different to extermination, or hate.

Yes, for the Doctor and for a number of people throughout the universe, they would be harbringers of death, but I feel that, especially by this episode, as it tries, they can be more than that. And at least try to be more.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's sort of expected if you want to be Prime Minister, mind control satelites or not. Besides, she was clearly not the loving wife, she was a power-hungry co-conspirator.
    Not trying to get into a political discussion or anything, but why would it be expected to be married to become PM?