Page 47 of 581 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147547 ... LastLast
    BANNED

The Doctor's attitude towards the military (and to guns, violence...) varies dramatically from one incarnation to the next.

Yeah, and I don't think an answer as to why he's suddenly anti-military is required. I just chalk it up to the incarnation quirks.

Mighty Member

Or it could be the fact that the very first thing she tried to do was confisgate the Tardis and order her way back to her home ship. That wasn't a good way to start a relationship with the Doctor.

Also, when she ran to him at the end, I just had to shake my head at her when she cried out, "Take me with you!". If she had done it the right way, the Doctor might have considered her as a companion. As it was, she hadn't learned the basic fundamental of asking nicely and was left behind.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

After rewatching "Into the Dalek" I noticed the chalk equation makes it's second appearance this time in the TARDIS. Have they addressed what exactly he's trying to work out. All I remember from "Deep Breath" is him sniffing out the chalk and starting to write away.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Perhaps it's the how to return Gallifrey from where-ever it's stuck equation...
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

BANNED

Another reason he may have rejected Journey is that soldiers follow orders, and that's really not what he looks for in a Companion. He wants people who will call him on his BS when needed. If Clara had been a soldier, this would have ended a lot differently.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Another thing I noticed is that the method that the Doctor used to save Journey Blue felt very similar to whatever Missy is using to acquire her "companions".
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    After rewatching "Into the Dalek" I noticed the chalk equation makes it's second appearance this time in the TARDIS. Have they addressed what exactly he's trying to work out. All I remember from "Deep Breath" is him sniffing out the chalk and starting to write away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Perhaps it's the how to return Gallifrey from where-ever it's stuck equation...
    I'm thinking since this is the start of his new life it's the equation to do put Gallifrey whatever it's in.

Retired

The little touches that the Doctor has given the Tardis console room--such as the chalk board and the book cases--give it an "old school" look (pun intended).

Is the formula on the chalkboard the same on both episodes? I'd just assume the chalkboard has maths on it, because that fits the Doctor's character.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Yeah, and I don't think an answer as to why he's suddenly anti-military is required. I just chalk it up to the incarnation quirks.
    I don't think it's too much of deviation. The Brigadier was one of his best friends, but was also a foil who's militaristic methods he clashed with in pretty much every episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The Doctor's attitude towards the military (and to guns, violence...) varies dramatically from one incarnation to the next.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    Or it could be the fact that the very first thing she tried to do was confisgate the Tardis and order her way back to her home ship. That wasn't a good way to start a relationship with the Doctor.

Also, when she ran to him at the end, I just had to shake my head at her when she cried out, "Take me with you!". If she had done it the right way, the Doctor might have considered her as a companion. As it was, she hadn't learned the basic fundamental of asking nicely and was left behind.
    All good comments.

Twelve also seems a bit more self-aware than most other incarnations of the Doctor (especially so early on in his regeneration). He's constantly fighting within himself, trying to know if he's a "good man" or not… I imagine traveling with a soldier right now would be a very, very bad idea. Someone more than happy to follow orders without question, rather than calling The Doctor out on his potential mistakes (what would have happened with Ten had it been a soldier with him when he confronted the Racnaross as opposed to Donna?), as well as someone who might support The Doctor's darker impulses.

Twelve knows he needs a "carer" right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The little touches that the Doctor has given the Tardis console room--such as the chalk board and the book cases--give it an "old school" look (pun intended).
    Yep. To me it evokes the Eighth Doctor's console room a bit. Not nearly as steampunk, but turning the console room into a bit of a rec room is a quirk that I can happily live with.

Ten and Eleven's console rooms had a mishmash of junk so that he could play while flying the TARDIS (ringing a bell with a sledge hammer, faucets for dials, ketchup and mustard dispensers). Late Seven/Eight and Twelve, however, could put their feet up and unwind if they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I don't think it's too much of deviation. The Brigadier was one of his best friends, but was also a foil who's militaristic methods he clashed with in pretty much every episode.
    As a fan of old Who, one of my favorite small moments was when Ten muttered, "I wish the Lethbridge-Stewart were here" or something like that. Which is neat considering that earlier he was antagonistic towards UNIT and the military.
    Last edited by Cyke; 09-04-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Retired

I like the woond panel console room that the Fourth Doctor used for a while--the so-called second control room. It'd be nice if this made a come back, every now and then. That console room was a bit more compact and maybe the Doctor doesn't always want to be in such a large space, so from time to time he could use this second room. There were indications in the Fourth Doctor series that this room had been used by the Second and Third Doctors, as well (their respective recorder and smoking jacket were in this room).

Extraordinary Member

Personally I think the attitude towards soldiers is a mean for the Doctor to distance himself in his own mind from the huge number of deaths he has directly caused [wiping out an entire Cyberman fleet? ouch!]

I had originally linked the character of Missy to the female hand we saw retrieving The Master's ring at the end of Season Three's "Last of the Time Lords". But then was reminded it was someone else. I still think its the Rani though. I mean big round garden with a fountain in the middle just shouts out TARDIS.

I dont think the anti-military thing is entirely new. Sure the 3rd Doctor was good friends with the Brig but he never invited him to journey in the TARDIS with him. And he and his subsequent incarnations often made comments about the limitations of military thinking.

No doubt his attitude to what soldiers are will be addressed when he meets Clara's colleague/love interest. As I said above, the Doctor has probably killed more living creatures than any soldier in the history of the universe, but he distances himself from the reality by telling himself soldiers kill without remorse and therefore he is not a soldier. It gives him a perception of the moral high ground in order to battle what must be some pretty heavy duty trauma, considering how many beings his killed or seen die.

I wonder if we actually went adventure by adventure and tallied up how many allies he has seen die what the figure would be. Over a thousand, I would think.
    Last edited by brettc1; 09-05-2014 at 08:32 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Is the formula on the chalkboard the same on both episodes? I'd just assume the chalkboard has maths on it, because that fits the Doctor's character.
    The books and the easy chair made me think of the 7th Doctor in the TV movie more than anything.