Page 473 of 580 FirstFirst ... 373423463469470471472473474475476477483523573 ... LastLast
Results 7,081 to 7,095 of 8689

I think both had pretty rough first seasons that were trying to be a bit more experimental.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I loved Capaldi's Doctor and liked his companions, but the stories were hit and miss for me. Some were great, like Heaven Sent, but I thought that the season-long arcs lacked payoff. That's was my general problem with Moffat's writing, I thought that he was much better at writing individual stories than as showrunner. With the season-long plotlines, he sort of went for SHOCK and then abandoned the idea. Though that may also still happen with the Timeless Child story as well, we will see. I would have liked a longer season, I can't believe that next week it's the last episode.

I've seen the fifth episode and I wonder if somehow the Doctor manages to fix the universe but winds up in the other universe (Her home universe?) for the specials, then perhaps regenerates when she winds up back in the regular universe.

The Grand serpent's snake remind anybody of the Master's TV movie snake thing a bit? Not saying they're the same, and certainly he's far from the only snake-themed villain (Mara, Sarn etc). We've already had a time lord reveal already.

Liked that the Division base is basically evocative of a TARDIS, except with a tree instead of a rotor. Also the fact that it has dimensional tech, except it can mess up the universe instead of itself.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-30-2021 at 02:02 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Yeah but I loved Capaldi's tenure. I'd even dug his time with Clara. Just change the end of Hell's bent and I'm golden. Moffat had a more clear direction with Capaldi than Chibnall had for Whitaker.

Series 13 is her best material and the timeless child mystery facilitated that. I still think there are too many characters for next week to resolve.

I think 13 would work better without a companion.
    Moffat definitely had plans for Smith. But with Capaldi he was flying by the seat of his pants for series 8. Purely because it was planned with Smith in mind. Capaldi found his footing in series 9 though, for me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    I loved Capaldi's Doctor and liked his companions, but the stories were hit and miss for me. Some were great, like Heaven Sent, but I thought that the season-long arcs lacked payoff. That's was my general problem with Moffat's writing, I thought that he was much better at writing individual stories than as showrunner. With the season-long plotlines, he sort of went for SHOCK and then abandoned the idea. Though that may also still happen with the Timeless Child story as well, we will see. I would have liked a longer season, I can't believe that next week it's the last episode.
    Moffat's strongest series arc was with the Pandorica stuff. That hit the ground running and was tied up neatly at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Moffat definitely had plans for Smith. But with Capaldi he was flying by the seat of his pants for series 8. Purely because it was planned with Smith in mind. Capaldi found his footing in series 9 though, for me.
    Really? I did not know that. What changed?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Seems that the Doctor bits were definitely tailored for Capaldi though, even if maybe the plots weren't. Although Smith did have his darker moments I just don't see him with many of the moments Capaldi had during that season, where the Doctor often came off as cruel or insensitive, jealous, and of course his moral dillema etc. (If anything Smith came off as the least jealous Doctor, he was fully supportive of Amy and Rory, if anything Rory was the jealous one) Season 9/10 Capaldi on the other hand, I can definitely see Smith playing guitar on top of a tank or messing around with Davros's chair....

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I think season 8 was supposed to be Trenzalore. After Matt Smith wanted to leave, Moffat condensed it into a special.

So Karen Gillian's next movie is about her fighting her clone. Kind of funny, not only because of the two Nebulas in Endgame, but because there were a few Amy doubles around her time on WHO-The Ganger from the first part of season 6, the time double from Girl Who Waited, arguably the priestess from Fires of Pompeii etc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Smith left before he was supposed to. It was hoped he would stay 4 - 5 years in the role (The BBC had been blindsided by Tennant leaving after they wanted him to stay in the role and wanted to lock Smith in for a longer period). Moffat said he had planned from the outset that he was going to go when Smith did.

A few writers were already writing scripts for series 8 when Smith announced his departure. So they had to alter their scripts to accommodate Capaldi. Pretty sure Trenzalore was supposed to happen later on, but Moffat brought it forward to be the Christmas special.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 11-30-2021 at 10:17 PM.

Incredible Member

Sony Pictures Television have completed their purchase of Bad Wolf.

https://deadline.com/2021/12/sony-ac...lf-1234882718/

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-...r-in-disguise/

I prefer this fan theory of the Master being the Grand Serpent to the Master becoming the Swarm. It feels cleaner but Chibnall would just be redoing the O master reveal.

Edit- he is not the Master but he is a Division operative and a Time Lord.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-02-2021 at 07:16 AM.

Unhappy

All I have to say about the latest episode (which I did watch regrettably) is, I hated the doubling down. I detest the Space Jesus thing more than words can express. I didn't like it when Star Wars did it with Anakin/Vader and I equally hate it now with Doctor Who. It is such a lazy worn-out trope that reduces the Doctor rather than adds anything of value to the character. I'm done with New Who. I'll always enjoy Classic Who and New Who up until the Timeless Child but this is too much for me. My only hope is that Davis retcons the **** out of this trash.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-01-2021 at 10:52 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    All I have to say about the latest episode (which I did watch regrettably) is, I hated the doubling down. I detest the Space Jesus thing more than words can express. I didn't like it when Star Wars did it with Anakin/Vader and I equally hate it now with Doctor Who. It is such a lazy worn-out trope that reduces the Doctor rather than adds anything of value to the character. I'm done with New Who. I'll always enjoy Classic Who and New Who up until the Timeless Child but this is too much for me. My only hope is that Davis retcons the **** out of this trash.
    I don't know if Davies will. If he does, it will be done in such a way that you question the validity of what we were told. I think he is too classy to come in and totally undo what the previous writer did (Especially a mate). I think Davies is more likely to just side step it and not reference it. He'll just do a 180 and go off in a different direction.

Davies is the guy who turned the Doctor from an eccentric outcast to a 'lonely god' (*gag*) that everyone is in love with, I don't think he's going to retcon Chibnall's further aggrandisement. Really, I think it's very Nu Who.