Page 483 of 581 FirstFirst ... 383433473479480481482483484485486487493533 ... LastLast
Results 7,231 to 7,245 of 8710
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It'd be interesting to see her take on a recurring WHO villain other than the Judoon. It'd be weird if it were the Daleks though....
    I have this idea with a crossover between her Doctor and David Bradley’s First Doctor that features the Weeping Angels in a story where the ‘63 crew have the Doctor’s very first encounter with one of them in 19th Century France with the Countess of Castiglione… at least as far as he knows… which actually ties into the Fugitive Doctor’s time with Division being forced to work with them. The story of the Countess and her obsession with her lost beauty and photography in its earliest days is screaming for a Weeping Angel tale to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I have this idea with a crossover between her Doctor and David Bradley’s First Doctor that features the Weeping Angels in a story where the ‘63 crew have the Doctor’s very first encounter with one of them in 19th Century France with the Countess of Castiglione… at least as far as he knows… which actually ties into the Fugitive Doctor’s time with Division being forced to work with them. The story of the Countess and her obsession with her lost beauty and photography in its earliest days is screaming for a Weeping Angel tale to me.
    That's pretty cool.

It'd be interesting to see her take on a recurring WHO villain other than the Judoon. It'd be weird if it were the Daleks though....
    I'm hoping she goes up against the Grand Serpent.

If the Master does show up in Jodie's finale (Which seems like a pretty sure thing) wonder if they'll leave the slate clean for a new Master, as Moffat kind of did (Although there's still some debate about the current Master being the one after Missy, or even if Simm regenerated into Missy, although Missy and Simm's believed this to be the case-"I'll regenerate...into you." "Welcome to the Sisterhood"). I doubt RTD would use Simm again, since I think that Master's time is pretty well covered-Saxon and then the undead version, getting cured on Gallifrey of that, but then getting kicked out and stuck on the Cyberman ship. Unless he somehow survived Missy's stabbing without regenerating.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-14-2022 at 06:19 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

So with the License fee frozen although funds will still last five years, wonder what effect this will have on WHO?

So with the License fee frozen although funds will still last five years, wonder what effect this will have on WHO?
    I think Russell's tenure could make or break the show. We might face another cancelation. We are in the 6/7 range. I've read criticism of 13 that compared her to the 5th doctor's era. So Russel would be presiding over a 6/7 redux.

There are some similarities between Davison and Whitaker-not just the Blond, short hair of course but also the larger number of companions (especially in his first season) although Whitaker's have all been humans while Davison's were 3/5 aliens (although two were near-human aliens, and the third was a weird alien robot that didn't work and didn't really show up too much anyway). Also outside of Earthshock his first season was also a bit more low-key at times. Both laid on the continuity/older monsters more in next two seasons though...

Granted hopefully we won't get something like the Sixth Doctor (Capaldi sort of came close at times but was written better and eventually became much more mellow anyway, something Colin wasn't really allowed much room to do)

Astonishing Member

The fee is frozen at its current price point. It will be that way for the next two years at which point they either keep it the same or decide to increase it (which they'll likely need to do to keep it inline with inflation). The BBC want further funding from the UK government. The freeze effectively keeps the BBC operating with the same funds they have now.
    Of
    As to its effects on Who? Well, I don't think it will matter much. The whole point of outsourcing production to Bad Wolf is to allow them to produce the show for the BBC themselves. Some are saying there is a co-funding deal in place as well.

If you want an example of how this may work look no further than the Marvel/Sony set up over Spider-man.

The BBC still owns Doctor Who. They'll still make money off it from merchandise and what not. But Bad Wolf is making it for them. Bad Wolf can afford to go big with it because Sony is their parent. The BBC can only allot so much money to make Who. Anymore and they'll cop criticism they are spending too much on it.

chibnall was told to produce Doctor Who to the point it could compete with Netflix. He even said that for RTD it will be "make it compete with Disney+. For it to do so, someone with bigger pockets had to come along and put money in it.

UNIT: Nemesis 2: Agents of the Vulpreen

For those interested (just got the email its now available for pre-order). The Curator (yay!) and...the Eleven (-_-).

Typically whenever Big Finish has a free excerpt I get it, so I got the one for the first Doom Coalition. Eleven quickly got on my nerves but he seems to be popular. But at the same time, if he interacts with the Curator that might be interesting.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I think Russell's tenure could make or break the show. We might face another cancelation. We are in the 6/7 range. I've read criticism of 13 that compared her to the 5th doctor's era. So Russel would be presiding over a 6/7 redux.
    Has it gotten that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Has it gotten that bad?
    I don't know because I don't keep track of British viewing figures. But the BBC probably doesn't hate Dr.Who like they did in the 80s.

Hopefully.

People are probably exaggerating or doomsaying online.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Davison's era cops alot of criticism and I don't understand why. Everybody forgets Tom's last series took a heavy hit in the ratings. Numbers that rebounded when Davison took over. He was also a likeable actor that was favourable with the British public. Was he Tom? No. But his Doctor needed to be fallible and, if you look at his performance, he was often sarcastic. The only real dud season he did was 20. 19 was solid and 21 was one of the best seasons classic Who did.

The only thing in common is the companion numbers and a Doctor Who doesn't have all the answers. But Jodie's era has well and truly hit 6th Doctor territory. RTD's next series is, for all intents and purposes, Season 24.

Astonishing Member

Has it gotten that bad?
    Well, ratings aren't a clear indicator of success like it once was. Flux also had the disadvantage of being "serialized", so many opted to sit it out and binge it later on. In saying that, it is now in the 3 million territory for overnight/initial broadcast. Only 1 episode cracked 4 million on first run broadcast (Village Of The Angels).

But it's 7 day consolidation is around 4.5 million on average

Has it gotten that bad?
    No. Some people are gleefully awaiting any bad news, just so they can brag that they predicted the end of DW, just like they do with MCU movies. And just like MCU, DW will survive, as long as there are people willing to make it and watch it.

Ultimate Member

The doomsaying and low ratings is kind of a shame considering the show actually improved in the last season or so, at least for me. And the BBC seems to have a bigger budget this time around

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post

UNIT: Nemesis 2: Agents of the Vulpreen

For those interested (just got the email its now available for pre-order). The Curator (yay!) and...the Eleven (-_-).

Typically whenever Big Finish has a free excerpt I get it, so I got the one for the first Doom Coalition. Eleven quickly got on my nerves but he seems to be popular. But at the same time, if he interacts with the Curator that might be interesting.
    I'm the opposite opinion on the Eleven. But I think I just liked the idea of new Time Lord villians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Davison's era cops alot of criticism and I don't understand why. Everybody forgets Tom's last series took a heavy hit in the ratings. Numbers that rebounded when Davison took over. He was also a likeable actor that was favourable with the British public. Was he Tom? No. But his Doctor needed to be fallible and, if you look at his performance, he was often sarcastic. The only real dud season he did was 20. 19 was solid and 21 was one of the best seasons classic Who did.

The only thing in common is the companion numbers and a Doctor Who doesn't have all the answers. But Jodie's era has well and truly hit 6th Doctor territory. RTD's next series is, for all intents and purposes, Season 24.
    Most of the criticisms for 5 come from modern fans. They call his era character resistance. So I drew a comparison from 5 to 13.

For example-