Page 512 of 580 FirstFirst ... 12412462502508509510511512513514515516522562 ... LastLast
Results 7,666 to 7,680 of 8689

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Wait, what?

One of the main complaints in the press during RTD's tenure was that he was too concerned with being progressive and was "jamming" it down the audience's throat every chance he got.
    Political and Progressive aren't the same to me. Hence why I have no respect for any loud mouth who yells "Woke" anytime a woman, LGBTQ+ Person, or POC shows up. Political to me is looking at a issue and either directly addressing it or addressing thru allegory which Classic Who did regularly and New Who seldom done.

Adding POC, LGBTQ+, & Women isn't political IMO it's right.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Political and Progressive aren't the same to me. Hence why I have no respect for any loud mouth who yells "Woke" anytime a woman, LGBTQ+ Person, or POC shows up. Political to me is looking at a issue and either directly addressing it or addressing thru allegory which Classic Who did regularly and New Who seldom done.

Hit the nail on the head with this post.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It wasn't that he was just adding those kinds of people to the show it's that there were distinct political messages and themes in his writing and he was criticized for it pretty heavily at the time. Escapism just isn't how I'd describe RTD's tenure at all.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It wasn't that he was just adding those kinds of people to the show it's that there were distinct political messages and themes in his writing and he was criticized for it pretty heavily at the time. Escapism just isn't how I'd describe RTD's tenure at all.
    I think Jokerz79 is mistaking 'politics I don't recognize' for 'apolitical'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I think Jokerz79 is mistaking 'politics I don't recognize' for 'apolitical'.
    No I think if someone sees RTD's era as political then they're either some far right looney who sees people different from them as political or they're not expecting much from their sci-fi when it gets political. Very rarely did RTD get political like with Left Turn and Londoners migrating north or the Ood but those was the rarity not the norm. His era of Who was progressive and did satire very rarely did it get political or perhaps I expect more.

No I think if someone sees RTD's era as political then they're either some far right looney who sees people different from them as political or they're not expecting much from their sci-fi when it gets political. Very rarely did RTD get political like with Left Turn and Londoners migrating north or the Ood but those was the rarity not the norm. His era of Who was progressive and did satire very rarely did it get political or perhaps I expect more.
    If you don't see the political subtexts on display in World War III or Dalek, I'm not sure what to tell you. I mean, AoL and WW3 contains references to 9/11, and the Iraq War speech by Tony BLair.

Green: Our inspectors have searched the sky above our heads and they have found massive weapons of destruction capable of being deployed within forty five seconds.
    This is a character in the show.

Tony Blair once said, leading to the invasion of Iraq:

The document discloses that his military planning allows for some of the WMD to be ready within 45 minutes of an order to use them.
    These juxtapositioned in 2005 are *not* as subtle as they would be to someone watching them now.

Point is, RTD was WAY more political than you seem to realize. Politics don't have to land with the force of a jackhammer for something to be a political statement.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 05-24-2022 at 06:09 AM.

Kind of wondering about the new console room. Then again Jodie's regeneration (although it could be a red herring) seen in the preview seems to actually happen outside the TARDIS this time, so presumably there won't be some massive TARDIS damage like the last two producer/Doctor turnovers, and I think David has been seen with Jodie's exterior model. So maybe he'll keep the 'crystal' theme for a bit longer while Ncuti gets the brand new "desktop".
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Russel has confirmed in this weeks' Doctor Who Magazine that he's reviving his old production notes feature.

BANNED

Dan Slott planned to make Peter Parker The Doctor's companion, and make Curt Connors a Silurian

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dan-...ver-marvel-no/

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Dan Slott planned to make Peter Parker The Doctor's companion, and make Curt Connors a Silurian

That would've been fun. I'd say Doc Ock is more the Master than Morlun but most evil scientists are the Master. .

Remember Spalding, Lex Luthor's assistant in Paul Cornell's action comics? Looks familiar....

(Different Chris BTW)
    https://www.chrisisoninfiniteearths....mics-890-2010/

I kind of see Loki (in the comics) as a bit like a time lord these days. "Dies" and comes back with a slightly different personality and body. Like around Secret Wars, where "Agent of Asgard" Loki (Who replaced Kid Loki, although kept his body) was replaced by the slightly different, less heroic "God of stories" Loki.

Hank Pym felt like a Doctor lite character in some of his appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I kind of see Loki (in the comics) as a bit like a time lord these days. "Dies" and comes back with a slightly different personality and body. Like around Secret Wars, where "Agent of Asgard" Loki (Who replaced Kid Loki, although kept his body) was replaced by the slightly different, less heroic "God of stories" Loki.
    The fan consensus on his show was "Dr.Who but better".
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-28-2022 at 09:57 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Hank Pym felt like a Doctor lite character in some of his appearances.

The fan consensus on his show was "Dr.Who but better".
    If I recall, Russel T doesn't have a high opinion of Loki.

If I recall, Russel T doesn't have a high opinion of Loki.
    I believe that was for how Loki handled LGBT representation over how it resembled Doctor Who.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.van...le-gesture/amp

By fan consensus I meant WhoTube.

For example-

I wonder if there are other DW/Spider-Man mashups in the oneshots. I'd be fine if they got released one day.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-28-2022 at 11:05 AM.