Page 517 of 582 FirstFirst ... 17417467507513514515516517518519520521527567 ... LastLast
Results 7,741 to 7,755 of 8718
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

If they do manage to make the deal happen by then my guess is they'll want it for Disney+ Day.

So Neil Patrick Harris has confirmed the 14th Doctor is gay, although he's a bit vague on that. Did he mean that Ncuti himself is gay or that the Doctor will be gay?

Think it's long been implied that the Doctor is somewhat bisexual-it's how RTD kind of interpreted the relationship between the Doctor and the Master.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    So Neil Patrick Harris has confirmed the 14th Doctor is gay, although he's a bit vague on that. Did he mean that Ncuti himself is gay or that the Doctor will be gay?

Think it's long been implied that the Doctor is somewhat bisexual-it's how RTD kind of interpreted the relationship between the Doctor and the Master.
    Hopefully he meant Ncuti himself.

Doctor should, in theory, be pansexual.

No he is refering to the Doctor. The Doctor should not be sexual at all. I thought RTD would save the show a second time but it appears he is going to drive the nail in instead.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaled View Post
    No he is refering to the Doctor. The Doctor should not be sexual at all. I thought RTD would save the show a second time but it appears he is going to drive the nail in instead.
    Well. The Doctor being asexual is my preferred. But the ship sailed there. If you can change sex or race on a whim, it makes sense to be pansexual.

I'm waiting to see what he does first. But I've grown a bit... hesitant with this second go around. I didn't mind RTD coming back, but we didn't need Gardner, Collinson or Tranter back. I'm also fearful Gold will be back now.

It's not 2005. We shouldn't party like it is.
    Last edited by Somecrazyaussie; 08-03-2022 at 09:56 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Why shouldn't the Doctor be sexual?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Why shouldn't the Doctor be sexual?
    when you are at least 1000's of years older than your young companion it's creepy. I like the idea of the Doctor having relationships with other immortals but not some 20 year old girl from earth.

Quote Originally Posted by mortari View Post
    when you are at least 1000's of years older than your young companion it's creepy. I like the idea of the Doctor having relationships with other immortals but not some 20 year old girl from earth.
    Missy said it best "You're the puppy"

Yeah any regular human I have to believe the doctor views like pets and not true equals. My only accepted relationships for the Doctor are Romana, River, or Missy (Not the Master, because those versions never learned their lessons). I would be ok with the doctor with a male it just would have to be a Timelord or fellow being with near immortality or massive super intelligence.

I always thought the Doctor saw his companions sort of like his children (Rose and Yaz possible exceptions), wasn't that the whole point of Davros's speech in Journey's End?

Everyone sees it, the Doctor may see it but won't acknowledge it as such. A human(oid) with parents or a parent, heck even if they're an orphan, can mistake his affection as that of a suitor not a father/mother figure.

I like the idea of the Doctor having relationships with other immortals but not some 20 year old girl from earth.
    I agree with this. And interestingly I think most Time Lords view anyone less than at least 100 years old as pets (Missy's words to Clara that one time). The Doctor truly is a renegade in that he/she sees them as more than that. But still not quite as a potential lover. Another immortal makes sense, and I think River was close enough to one that he was ok with being in a relationship with her.

The Doctor isn't often played that way though, typically they act in a fashion that mirror's the actor who took on the role; so that if it's a 30-something year old male actor the Doctor generally behaves like a 30-something year old person.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The Doctor isn't often played that way though, typically they act in a fashion that mirror's the actor who took on the role; so that if it's a 30-something year old male actor the Doctor generally behaves like a 30-something year old person.
    I act juvenile doesn't mean I want to hang out with kids. To quote the 4th Doctor "What's the point of growing up if you can't act childish". But to hold a conversation with a kid, oh hell no.

There is no way an average human can stimulate the Doctor intellectually.

He can have adventures with them, he can enjoy seeing the world thru their eyes, and he can care even love them, but they can't intellectually satisfy him because they only understand a minuscule percentage of time and space and how it works.

That's why the pet analogy is actually quite accurate. I mean when the time comes he let's them go and moves onto the next just like with pets.

I'm not trying to be insulting to the Compansions, but comparing the differences between being a Time Lord and being a human. One lives multiple lives over thousands of years and understand all the secrets of time and space the other lives the equivalent of a long holiday to a Time Lord and barely understands their small corner of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I act juvenile doesn't mean I want to hang out with kids. To quote the 4th Doctor "What's the point of growing up if you can't act childish". But to hold a conversation with a kid, oh hell no.

He can have adventures with them, he can enjoy seeing the world thru their eyes, and he can care even love them, but they can't intellectually satisfy him because they only understand a minuscule percentage of time and space and how it works.

That's why the pet analogy is actually quite accurate. I mean when the time comes he let's them go and moves onto the next just like with pets.

I'm not trying to be insulting to the Compansions, but comparing the differences between being a Time Lord and being a human. One lives multiple lives over thousands of years and understand all the secrets of time and space the other lives the equivalent of a long holiday to a Time Lord and barely understands their small corner of the universe.
    The Doctor could certainly be written that way, and it would make sense and certainly could lead to interesting stories but outside of the first few Doctors and to an extent Christopher Eccleston that hasn't really been how the character has often been played.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 08-04-2022 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Hopefully he meant Ncuti himself.

Doctor should, in theory, be pansexual.
    I can only see the Doctor being either asexual or pansexual. RTD already closed the door on asexual in his first run, so pansexual sounds more realistic.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Spectacular Member

Now I'm an old timer who fan. Started watching with some of the 3rd doctor stories. Started watching from Tom Baker 2nd season when they started running it on WTTW in Chicago. I've watched it all since and I've listened to about 1/2 the Big finish stuff so far. I really like some of the companions they've used strictly in the audios at least as much the TV companions.

Missy said it best "You're the puppy"

Yeah any regular human I have to believe the doctor views like pets and not true equals. My only accepted relationships for the Doctor are Romana, River, or Missy (Not the Master, because those versions never learned their lessons). I would be ok with the doctor with a male it just would have to be a Timelord or fellow being with near immortality or massive super intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I always thought the Doctor saw his companions sort of like his children (Rose and Yaz possible exceptions), wasn't that the whole point of Davros's speech in Journey's End?

Everyone sees it, the Doctor may see it but won't acknowledge it as such. A human(oid) with parents or a parent, heck even if they're an orphan, can mistake his affection as that of a suitor not a father/mother figure.

I agree with this. And interestingly I think most Time Lords view anyone less than at least 100 years old as pets (Missy's words to Clara that one time). The Doctor truly is a renegade in that he/she sees them as more than that. But still not quite as a potential lover. Another immortal makes sense, and I think River was close enough to one that he was ok with being in a relationship with her.
    This is what really gets me about this point of view though...it's largely supported by the villains. Why should we take what they're saying at face value?

They have a vested interest in driving a wedge between the Doctor and his companions, by making him doubt them or question his connection to them them it makes the villain's plans more likely to succeed as it robs the Doctor of his support structure and allies in combating the villain. So with that in mind the purpose of those scenes isn't to say that what the villains are saying is true...it's that opposite is the actual truth.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 08-05-2022 at 06:29 AM.