Page 52 of 581 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152552 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    They did everything but have flashing letters above the barn saying 'YES THIS IS THE SAME BARN', so yeah.
    ^this. I'd read the scripts for this and the previous three episodes earlier this month. It really lived up to the expectations I had. Nice and creepy and mysterious and yet still funny at points. The where's wally part for instance.
    Last edited by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus; 09-13-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Moffat takes a horror cliche (the hand coming out from under the bed) and, and I don't know what but I think I liked it. This is one of the scariest episodes of the new series right up there with "Midnight" and "Blink". The ending was quite beautiful and it was nice seeing spoilers:
    John Hurt
    end of spoilers pop up briefly.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    Moffat takes a horror cliche (the hand coming out from under the bed) and, and I don't know what but I think I liked it. This is one of the scariest episodes of the new series right up there with "Midnight" and "Blink". The ending was quite beautiful and it was nice seeing spoilers:
    John Hurt
    end of spoilers pop up briefly.
    I was thinking Blink and the Empty Child/The Doctor Dances...btw if there was nothing to fear except fear it's self. What was that under the Bed Spread?

Quote Originally Posted by THE DANGER965 View Post
    I Guess that Listen was...weird? But I really enjoyed it. Certainly the best episode of the season so far. Really, the villain of this episode was really fear, and thought that it was a great twist. However, what made this episode so good was how human it was at the end. I loved how Clara's visit would define the Doctor throughout all his life. And hey, I also actually liked Clara in this one...

But seriously! Has anyone else thought that the barn in the end was also the one in the Day of the Doctor as well?
    Can't wait for the answers! What does everyone else think?!
    Leave it to Clara to always be in the Doctor's life.

Retired

In the classic DW, it always seemed like the Time Lords and Ladies and those others living in the city were enjoying a high life, but outside the city it was rural and underdeveloped. So I would guess that little Doc and the little Master lived out in the country and when they got their sheepskin to be Time Lords they got to live inside the city with all the other well-fed Time Lords and Ladies.

I quite liked this story. I imagine some will accuse Clara of being a Mary Sue--but I never cared for the whole Mary Sue argument myself. Anyway unlike Rose and Amy, I think that Clara by now has really worked to earn her high position as a companion. She's more like Martha Jones or Leela--a companion who the Doctor doesn't give enough credit. She does all this for the Doctor, but he hardly notices. I think Martha Jones in "Human Nature" did the most for the Doctor and puts up with so much and never gets any recognition. At least, Clara sometimes is allowed a "well done" from the Doctor.

I will be sad to see her go.

I don't know that I like her snogging Danny. If he's going to stay on as a companion and she's going to leave, will it all end in tears?

Alrighty, so I just caught up.

First, Robots of Sherwood. Nothing much, twas a cute fun little episode with not much in the grand scheme. But it was just nice to see an episode with The Doctor and Clara just having a romp somewhere and somewhen. Probably the weakest episode of the season so far, but that doesn't mean it's bad. It was just there.

Now Listen...man that was great. The Clara and Danny interactions were very good, and those twists at the end really stunned me. Couldn't help but laugh a little that what we just saw was basically spoilers:
    kid William Hartnell. It was also a nice touch having that barn in Day of the Doctor be the same one where kid Doctor once cried himself to sleep. Considering what War was going to do at that moment in the Time War and this episode having fear as a focal point, it was very fitting.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Xalfrea; 09-13-2014 at 11:00 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    I meant to mention this after Day of the Doctor, but did anyone else think it a tad odd that such an incredibly old and technological race has a lot of people who seem circa 19th Century or so? Was the Doctor's family a member of a kind of Gallifreyan Amish group? All I can recall is Three mentioning climbing a mountain in the back of his home to visit a guru (Planet of the Spiders), a bunch of pompous/decrepit Time Lords/Ladies (Deadly Assassin), Four sending Leela out into The Wastelands where there was a group of primitive Gallifreyans (Invasion of Time), and then the villagers of the sister city of the Gallifreyan capitol running around getting blasted by daleks.

Is there a listing somewhere of all the Gallifreyan info so far so that we can piece together the puzzle of Gallifreyan society from canon? Never did get to hear the radio stories so am thinking maybe I am missing some vital pieces to the puzzle.

Btw, I liked the episode, but am still wondering how that lump under the bed fit in. Doubt it was a 'friend' under the covers and it doesn't explain the other people feeling the hand from under the bed or the banging from outside the airlock.
    I need to see it again, but considering that stuff only happened when the Doctor was present I think it was the Doctor's fear manifesting itself through his psychic powers, making it a monster-y puzzle to solve to make him feel confortable with it. Sort of like the dream lord.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Is there a listing somewhere of all the Gallifreyan info so far so that we can piece together the puzzle of Gallifreyan society from canon? Never did get to hear the radio stories so am thinking maybe I am missing some vital pieces to the puzzle.
    For most things Doctor Who online, I consult the Tardis Data Core (the Doctor Who wiki) or Wikipedia itself. Type Gallifrey into a search engine and these sites are likely to be at the top.

The Tardis Data Core's entry on Gallifreyan history is quite exhaustive and takes into account TV, movies, audio, novels and comics. As well as utilizing various source books and websites on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    I need to see it again, but considering that stuff only happened when the Doctor was present I think it was the Doctor's fear manifesting itself through his psychic powers, making it a monster-y puzzle to solve to make him feel confortable with it. Sort of like the dream lord.
    Or maybe Clara lied, to comfort a very scared little boy.

What I want to know is, how did the TARDIS even get to Gallifrey? I thought it didn't currently* exist in 'our' universe?

* and by 'currently', I mean currently for us as we're watching the show, but not at any point in time...man, this stuff is complicated.

BANNED

What I want to know is, how did the TARDIS even get to Gallifrey? I thought it didn't currently* exist in 'our' universe?

* and by 'currently', I mean currently for us as we're watching the show, but not at any point in time...man, this stuff is complicated.
    It doesn't exist in 'our' universe now, but it did 2000-ish years ago?

No, see, what I was getting at is that it does not currently exist at any point in time in 'our' universe.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

No, see, what I was getting at is that it does not currently exist at any point in time in 'our' universe.
    Maybe it was all in her mind?

So, what was the link to the promised land here? Because it was written by Moffat so...a hidden link to the overall theme?
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

I think mirrors or some kind of reflection metaphor has been in each episode so far.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

We are four episodes in and this is the third time the Doctor has changed his shirt. It was white for the first two episodes, burgandy for the third episode, and now black. I'm wondering if that has any sort of special significance.