Page 538 of 582 FirstFirst ... 38438488528534535536537538539540541542548 ... LastLast
Results 8,056 to 8,070 of 8717
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

That looked amazing!
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Appears the budgets and more have been expanded with Bad Wolf/Sony doing the series. Its like the show has that spark.
    I think it's simpler than that. RTD is a fan, always has been. And it shows in his enthusiasm in interviews, press. But also in his writing.

Chibnall? I don't think he gave a &^$%. It was just a job, a way to collect a paycheck and elevate his profile. Not saying he doesn't like Doctor Who or didn't enjoy being involved. But I think it was just another job rather than a passion project.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I think it's simpler than that. RTD is a fan, always has been. And it shows in his enthusiasm in interviews, press. But also in his writing.

Chibnall? I don't think he gave a &^$%. It was just a job, a way to collect a paycheck and elevate his profile. Not saying he doesn't like Doctor Who or didn't enjoy being involved. But I think it was just another job rather than a passion project.
    Broadchurch was a massive success to the point they tried to do an American version. Chibnall didn't need to be "elevated". He was a fan there's even a lot of lore in his run. But sadly where RTD and Moffat were cases where putting a fan in charged worked Chibnall was the opposite where it doesn't.

RTD and Moffat wanted to do Dr. Who while Chibnall even as a kid wanted to "fix" it.

Haven't commented on the Trailer yet it looked fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Could be a Kanpo/Cho-Ji situation like in Planet of the Spiders, where The Doctor's mentor had a fellow monk at his retreat revealed as a projection of his next incarnation when Kanpo is killed, and the projection then takes his place. This was repeated in Logopolis as The Watcher
    Wonder if they'll also address why he has the face again. He might recall the curator saying something to that effect, but there still should be a why?

I think an earlier leak about the specials was that the Doctor would be trying to figure that out; although perhaps he subconsciously felt guilty over the whole thing ended with Donna and the face, like Caecillus's, is a reminder..

Wonder who he's saying "IF she remembers me she will die!" speech to. Wilf again?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

There was a theory NPH was playing the dream lord but that feels less likely now.

Celestial Toymaker seems to be the main theory. I've not read the Star Beast story in a while so I'm not sure if there's a similar "showman" character there.

The character was originally slated to appear in the original season 23 interestingly enough. Would've been interesting to have Colin Baker face off against Michael Gough given they both appeared in Arc of Infinity as different characters.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Celestial Toymaker seems to be the main theory. I've not read the Star Beast story in a while so I'm not sure if there's a similar "showman" character there.

The character was originally slated to appear in the original season 23 interestingly enough. Would've been interesting to have Colin Baker face off against Michael Gough given they both appeared in Arc of Infinity as different characters.
    Apparently he’s now just called The Toymaker, as they’ve allegedly taken the Celestial part of the name off.

Incredible Member

Variety have put out their list of most anticipated British television shows of 2023 and the Doctor Who specials are first on the list. Also Freema Agyeman appears at number nine on the list in Lily Allen’s Dreamland. Also at number 19 is RTD’s Nolly.

https://variety.com/lists/new-britis...pecials-bbc-2/

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Broadchurch was a massive success to the point they tried to do an American version. Chibnall didn't need to be "elevated". He was a fan there's even a lot of lore in his run. But sadly where RTD and Moffat were cases where putting a fan in charged worked Chibnall was the opposite where it doesn't.

RTD and Moffat wanted to do Dr. Who while Chibnall even as a kid wanted to "fix" it.

Haven't commented on the Trailer yet it looked fantastic.
    I wouldn't mind him fixing it if he actually did. The only thing he did worthwhile was make the Sontarans threatening again.

Fix what, exactly? The only thing "broken" with Doctor Who is reusing the same villains to death. I get the Daleks (estate/legal issues), but there's no reason not to see for instance The Rani or The Monk again. And I don't buy that "herp derp just use the Master" no if you're a writer worth a damn make other Time Lords that aren't the Doctor/Master work.

Also "broken": why exactly haven't we seen Romana again?

The Whoverse is so vast you have to explore it to get to the parts that's actually broken (if the broken parts actually exist) and that's the one complaint I have for all the showrunners, frankly. They all stayed in a sort of sandbox, played with their favorites + the Daleks, then left. Its just no one really did any damage till Chibnall.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Fix what, exactly? The only thing "broken" with Doctor Who is reusing the same villains to death. I get the Daleks (estate/legal issues), but there's no reason not to see for instance The Rani or The Monk again. And I don't buy that "herp derp just use the Master" no if you're a writer worth a damn make other Time Lords that aren't the Doctor/Master work.

Also "broken": why exactly haven't we seen Romana again?

The Whoverse is so vast you have to explore it to get to the parts that's actually broken (if the broken parts actually exist) and that's the one complaint I have for all the showrunners, frankly. They all stayed in a sort of sandbox, played with their favorites + the Daleks, then left. Its just no one really did any damage till Chibnall.
    The revival series had some criticisms like the modern day companion limit, romantic plots are overdone, episode resolutions are rushed, bringing back other old villians than the master and the daleks, Moffat wasting the Time Lords after he brought them back in the 50th and so on.

So there are issues to fix but Chibnall doesn't address anything people actually cared about. Was the Morbius Doctors being canon an issue?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-27-2022 at 12:25 PM.

What I meant by "Fix It" is Chibnall going back to his interview as a youngster that he comes off to me as a fan who tells you they love something than spends the rest of the conversation telling you "what's wrong with it and how'd they fix it".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Moffat wasting the Time Lords after he brought them back in the 50th and so on.
    I can understand how Moffat's hands were tied there...to do big sweeping Gallifrey epics every season isn't within the budget capacity of the programme, and The Doctor was never about being around his peoplee, he ran from them all the time, with the Time Lords occasionally meddling in his lives. The original show had truly exhausted all the creative avenues you could pursue between them and The Doctor, their only use afterwards would be to include Omega, Rani, Monk etc, but fans don't seem to grasp even those characters were never used all that often. Hell, The Monk and The Rani only had one story each to themselves in the classic run, other instances they were paired with the usual favourites The Master and The Daleks.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    I can understand how Moffat's hands were tied there...to do big sweeping Gallifrey epics every season isn't within the budget capacity of the programme, and The Doctor was never about being around his peoplee, he ran from them all the time, with the Time Lords occasionally meddling in his lives. The original show had truly exhausted all the creative avenues you could pursue between them and The Doctor, their only use afterwards would be to include Omega, Rani, Monk etc, but fans don't seem to grasp even those characters were never used all that often. Hell, The Monk and The Rani only had one story each to themselves in the classic run, other instances they were paired with the usual favourites The Master and The Daleks.
    But the Time War and the post Time War revival era had the potential to rejuvenate them as a group.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    But the Time War and the post Time War revival era had the potential to rejuvenate them as a group.
    Read what I said, they wouldn't have the budget to do any of that justice, and they would have ended up with the same trappings as before from the classic show, aka being a bunch of boring old politicians.