Page 55 of 581 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155555 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Knew I had heard it somewhere...

Influencing HistoryEdit

The Seventh Doctor stated that interfering in Gallifrey's past time travel experiments was against the First Law. (PROSE: Cat's Cradle: Time's Crucible) Whether or not it was First, there was a Law traditionally preventing Gallifrey's 'present' from interacting with its own subjective past or future. (PROSE: Lungbarrow)
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

With all due deference to the brilliant work of the original artist

Yes of course I'm a Science teacher
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Just had a thought: How do we know that kid in the barn was The Doctor's younger self and not his son...with one of the guardians being a Younger Doctor....and the son later begot Susan Foreman?

I feel like Sherlock....need more data!
    Here is all the data you need!

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Maybe he picked up that fashion tip from the Power Rangers.
    It probably happened at some point or other by now, in all the different iterations, but when has any Power Ranger, of all of them, ever expressed dislike for the colour they wear daily, and are?

Now I'm picturing the Power Rangers doing that scene from Reservoir Dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    And why does the Doctor keep changing his shirt? We never got one of those nice moments like we got with the two previous (or some other Doctors before them), where we see him selecting his outfit. It doesn't appear that he's settled on how he wants to present himself.
    Eh, Tennant used to change his shirt when he wore his brown outfit. Early on, sometimes he'd just forego the tie altogether. Capaldi's reasoning for his costume was so that kids wouldn't have to go to such great expense when dressing up as the Doctor for Halloween. I suppose the shirts just give more freedom.

I remember in End of Time, he changed suits in mid-episode. Yeah, there's an intergalactic emergency brewing right here on Earth, but Tennant must look AND feel good while saving the world

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Because Clara said she liked pink?
    Danny is already wearing a pink shirt. Clara re-introduces herself and says she doesn't like her sir name. Danny says he likes Oswald, it's better than Pink. Clara says she likes Pink.

So is Danny psychic or a time traveller and he already knows Clara likes pink, and that's why he's wearing a pink shirt, before Clara says she likes Pink?

BANNED

Danny is already wearing a pink shirt. Clara re-introduces herself and says she doesn't like her sir name. Danny says he likes Oswald, it's better than Pink. Clara says she likes Pink.
    Didn't she say she liked the name in the first episode he was in?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Eh, Tennant used to change his shirt when he wore his brown outfit. Early on, sometimes he'd just forego the tie altogether. Capaldi's reasoning for his costume was so that kids wouldn't have to go to such great expense when dressing up as the Doctor for Halloween. I suppose the shirts just give more freedom.

I remember in End of Time, he changed suits in mid-episode. Yeah, there's an intergalactic emergency brewing right here on Earth, but Tennant must look AND feel good while saving the world
    I don't mind the changes in wardrobe, but usually they establish a look for the Doctor before they start messing things about. The white shirt (no tie) with the top button buttoned* and the cardigan seemed like that was supposed to be the official look, but it only lasted for one episode. That's gotta be pretty hard on the action figure set.

I thought maybe the reason for changing the shirt was the white shirt would get too dirty in Sherwood. But then he changes from the maroon shirt to the black jumper (making him look more like Eccleston).

*Note: Danny also buttons the top button, without a tie.

I don't mind the changes in wardrobe, but usually they establish a look for the Doctor before they start messing things about. The white shirt (no tie) with the top button buttoned* and the cardigan seemed like that was supposed to be the official look, but it only lasted for one episode. That's gotta be pretty hard on the action figure set.
    The action figure tends to just use the publicity photo doesn't it? So just the white shirt look. But even with the white shirt, he switches from cardigan to vest between the first and second episodes. But the three things that seem consistent overall are the coat, the carrot pants, and the boots. If you get those down, you can wear any shirt and still be the Doctor.

*Note: Danny also buttons the top button, without a tie.
    Yeah, that's the style right now. It's the second Doctor in a row who looks like he shops at Topman -- for the past year or so, their male mannequins have had the top button buttoned (I only found this out the hard way when I forgot to put on a tie before a work event, and my supervisor complimented me on my forward style -- it was completely unintentional!)

My only (rather petty) complaint about this look for the Doctor is that I prefer my Doctor to have a neck accessory, dammit. This is also why I'm not overly fond of the Fifth or Ninth Doctor's wardrobe.

Lastly, my preference for Capaldi is his look from Robot of Sherwood, but open up that coat. It looks a bit stuffy. The white on black with the red lining in the coat makes him look imo like a vampire (albeit a stylish one).

(imagine the shirt as maroon or light blue instead of white, and to me we have a winner. Keeping the coat open makes it look less restrictive. But then again it gets a bit cost-prohibitive for cosplay).
    Last edited by Cyke; 09-15-2014 at 08:29 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    One small thing though. I thought it was established, long ago, that without extraordinary means it was impossible to travel into Gallifrey's past. This is a necessity imposed by Rassilon to prevent the Time Lord's from constantly rewriting their own history and their society devolving into chaos.

One assumes a device like The Moment would have the power to overcome this limitation, but for the Tardis to simply circumvent this basic law seems odd.
    Well, it's probably similar to the travelling between universes thing, The Time Lords used to regulate that but without them there is no one to stop the TARDIS, and The Moment already took care of the Time Lock on Gallifrey.

I remember that Travelling to the end of the Universe is also against Time Law but the Doctor took out the safeguards stopping him from doing so. He did it first as the 8th but was immediatly stopped by The Time Lords (I'm not sure if that was who 12th was talking about when he said ''some idiot took them off'' or if 10th did it as well in Utopia.)

It seems that TARDISes are perfectly capable of breaking Time Laws as long as the Lords aren't looking. Interfereing with past events the way The Doctor, The Master and The Monk do is also against the Time Laws but there wouldn't be a show with out it.
    Last edited by Vidocq; 09-15-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Well, it's probably similar to the travelling between universes thing, The Time Lords used to regulate that but without them there is no one to stop the TARDIS, and The Moment already took care of the Time Lock on Gallifrey.

I remember that Travelling to the end of the Universe is also against Time Law but the Doctor took out the safeguards stopping him from doing so. He did it first as the 8th but was immediatly stopped by The Time Lords (I'm not sure if that was who 12th was talking about when he said ''some idiot took them off'' or if 10th did it as well in Utopia.)

It seems that TARDISes are perfectly capable of breaking Time Laws as long as the Lords aren't looking. Interfereing with past events the way The Doctor, The Master and The Monk do is also against the Time Laws but there wouldn't be a show with out it.
    That's understood of course. But in terms of Gallifreys past, I had thought it was more of a feature built into the Tardis that prevented it from happening.

Clearly the Master would have done so were he capable. The fact the Time Lords were not able to simply recall his Tardis suggests the capsules have a level of autonomy once they leave the planet, reinforcing the idea there must be a built in fail safe to prevent the Time Lords constantly rewriting their own history.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I want to thank everyone who suggested ways to beef up on various Doctor Who info (not seen on TV).

And what better way to thank then to show a Doctor Who fan link that never fails to make me laugh:

http://arthurkingoftimeandspace.com/3faces/baaa.htm

(It's a moving comic strip from Arthur King Of Time & Space. The rest of them are good too, but this one I never ever get tired of.)
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

BANNED

One small thing though. I thought it was established, long ago, that without extraordinary means it was impossible to travel into Gallifrey's past. This is a necessity imposed by Rassilon to prevent the Time Lord's from constantly rewriting their own history and their society devolving into chaos.
    Ah, The First Law Of Time.

I always assumed that this was more a legal kind of law (don't do that or we'll lock you up/kill you/whatever) than a law of (meta)physics.

BANNED

That's understood of course. But in terms of Gallifreys past, I had thought it was more of a feature built into the Tardis that prevented it from happening.

Clearly the Master would have done so were he capable. The fact the Time Lords were not able to simply recall his Tardis suggests the capsules have a level of autonomy once they leave the planet, reinforcing the idea there must be a built in fail safe to prevent the Time Lords constantly rewriting their own history.
    Yeah, they have a level of autonomy (and likely have some kind of safeguard similar to the one for The End of the Universe that can be removed) but changing Gallifrey's history would be a huge deal, I can see the Lords constantly monitoring the timestream in search for stuff like that like they apparently did for the End of the Universe as it's a way bigger deal for them to interfere thanThe Doctor and The Master dicking around with some humans.