Page 57 of 582 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157557 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Probably Voltron?
    Think so?

Just with the combined thing, thought CP. Looked like a Megazord and someone mentioned Transformers.

Never seen Voltron, so honestly wouldn't know.

BANNED

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/09/four-...on-the-inside/

Does anybody here read the Doctor Who Novels? I used to read the Eight Doctor Adventures for their easy to read trippiness (Like literary popcorn laced with acid). The one with the War Doctor seems interesting.

Retired

I figured out a "Robot" connection for "Listen." When the Doctor wakes up he says, "Sontarans perverting the course of human history" which are the first words of the Fourth Doctor--but also those words were said in the story called "Robot" which features a robot.

Maybe when he's asleep, the Doctor is reviewing old cases to find a connection with the "Promised Land."

The Fourth Doctor's comment referenced the earlier adventure of the Third Doctor--"The Time Warrior" which was the first story to feature Sarah Jane and to feature a Sontaran. And it's a story very similar in plot and setting to "Robot of Sherwood."

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Think so?

Just with the combined thing, thought CP. Looked like a Megazord and someone mentioned Transformers.

Never seen Voltron, so honestly wouldn't know.
    Transformers are robots in disguise. Voltron was primary-colored, feline-shaped mechanoids manned by humanoid pilots. Daleks are also manned by a creature inside the metal casing, so I figured Voltron. Haven't really watched Power Rangers or the like.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I once purchased a tenth doctor book, but didn't enjoy it all that much. Found that I'm turning more visual-orientated as I get old and decrepit. On the other hand, I'd love to one day stumble across some of the radio adventures featuring a living Doctor (actor) or someone really good at mimicking them. Really enjoy my collection of DC audio novels by Graphic Audio which feature the addition of sound affects and a cast of voice actors.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Retired

Today I fell into watching "Blink" again. I didn't mean to, but once I turned it on I couldn't stop watching it. I think this and "Smith and Jones" are the two episodes of DW that I've watched more times than any others.

Both are the kind of stories I'd like to see more of.

I think that "Listen" was supposed to be like "Blink"--and it did have some of that flavour. But what is so great about "Blink" is that the Doctor and the Companion play a very small role and it's mainly about the featured guest actress and about the world of the Doctor.

That's what they need to do more often. And by doing some episodes like that (where the two featured players don't need to appear in most scenes), it would probably hellp their production schedule.

Which is why they did those episodes in the first place.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    But what is so great about "Blink" is that the Doctor and the Companion play a very small role and it's mainly about the featured guest actress and about the world of the Doctor.
    That isn't a decision the writer made. There's a Doctor/Companion-light episode in every season because that's when they shoot the Christmas special.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That isn't a decision the writer made. There's a Doctor/Companion-light episode in every season because that's when they shoot the Christmas special.
    Also because Eccleston was very vocal about the almost non-stop work environment. I'm fairly convinced that had the show adopted the annual "Doctor-lite" episode during his run, that Eccleston would have left on better terms.

Now that we bring it up, the Doctor-lite episodes tend to be pretty good on average - Blink, Turn Left, or even some of the Companion-Lite episodes. The only skepticism about that format was because Love & Monsters was the first of its kind, and it didn't do so well (I liked it, but I recognize that I'm in the minority here), but I love that these episodes tend to be about exploring the show's mythology.

A summation of what we know so far about Series 9 and what they plan on doing.

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/features/gu...about-series-9

Stay FAR away if you want to stay surprised when it'll actually come.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Now that we bring it up, the Doctor-lite episodes tend to be pretty good on average...
    It stands to reason. It forces creativity. Even Love & Monsters was really very good, as long as you remember when to stop watching.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Also because Eccleston was very vocal about the almost non-stop work environment. I'm fairly convinced that had the show adopted the annual "Doctor-lite" episode during his run, that Eccleston would have left on better terms.

Now that we bring it up, the Doctor-lite episodes tend to be pretty good on average - Blink, Turn Left, or even some of the Companion-Lite episodes. The only skepticism about that format was because Love & Monsters was the first of its kind, and it didn't do so well (I liked it, but I recognize that I'm in the minority here), but I love that these episodes tend to be about exploring the show's mythology.
    I'm one of those few who really liked "Love and Monsters." It's near the top of my list of favourite new Who stories.

You can't make me write L-I-T-E. By the spirit of Mrs. Badger--my grade 12 English teacher--I refuse, it is too horrible. I realize the purpose of those side stories was to free up the production schedule--not for the sake of the writers but for the actors. That's what I'm saying. It would be good to have a couple of those stories every season. It would make life easier for the actors and it would be enjoyable for those of us who like the "world of the Doctor" rather than just the Doctor and the Companion themselves.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It stands to reason. It forces creativity. Even Love & Monsters was really very good, as long as you remember when to stop watching.
    Yes, that is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    You can't make me write L-I-T-E. By the spirit of Mrs. Badger--my grade 12 English teacher--I refuse, it is too horrible.
    At some point, utility overrides tradition. Besides, it's a term that was coined by production team and then popularized by Moffat in 2007 as convenient shorthand, so it's been around for awhile: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor-lite

Since it's a name/label/category, the term gets more leeway than generic words, akin to how "Wi-Fi" doesn't stand officially for anything but gets away with being a descriptor (contrary to reports, it does not stand for "Wireless Fidelity").
    Last edited by Cyke; 09-18-2014 at 09:50 AM.

Retired

I still can't force myself to adopt certain spellings. But I'll meet you halfway, since I'm always trying to improve my German--and English is a germanic language--where English has one word, light, German has two, licht and leicht. The first means illumination while the second means not heavy. So I'll say Doctor-leicht. Trying to remember the two different spellings is always a problem, but this gives me a mnemonic device for doing so. Doktor Licht would be a villain in DC comics.