Page 58 of 582 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158558 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    You can't make me write L-I-T-E.
    As well you shouldn't. And anybody who feels differently can go to the special level of hell that has a lot of people talking on their phones while Twilight plays on a continuous loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    As well you shouldn't. And anybody who feels differently can go to the special level of hell that has a lot of people talking on their phones while Twilight plays on a continuous loop.
    I once caught my mom listening to the audiobook of Fifty Shades of Gray. That is hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Today I fell into watching "Blink" again. I didn't mean to, but once I turned it on I couldn't stop watching it. I think this and "Smith and Jones" are the two episodes of DW that I've watched more times than any others.

Both are the kind of stories I'd like to see more of.

I think that "Listen" was supposed to be like "Blink"--and it did have some of that flavour. But what is so great about "Blink" is that the Doctor and the Companion play a very small role and it's mainly about the featured guest actress and about the world of the Doctor.

That's what they need to do more often. And by doing some episodes like that (where the two featured players don't need to appear in most scenes), it would probably hellp their production schedule.
    I think Blink is a cracking episode of television, but ultimately one that feels a bit empty to me-- largely due to the closed loop ending that provides the final twist and the half-hearted and tacked-on romance bit. It's great fun getting there, though.

Listen is the first Moffat script in a long while that I felt had a really solid character-driven core to it-- I think its his best work since The Time of Angels 2-parter.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/19/do...ho-nick-frost/

Nick Frost, Michael Troughton and more to guest star in Christmas Special.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post

Cool! Frost seems like a natural fit for "Who" (And if he weren't so high-profile, he would have made an excellent Doctor).

Although that reminds me of what a shame it is that Simon Pegg didn't get a more substantial role back in the day; his talents felt wasted in "The Long Game."

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    Cool! Frost seems like a natural fit for "Who" (And if he weren't so high-profile, he would have made an excellent Doctor).

Although that reminds me of what a shame it is that Simon Pegg didn't get a more substantial role back in the day; his talents felt wasted in "The Long Game."
    One or two comments were saying essentially the same as you on Pegg.

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post

One or two comments were saying essentially the same as you on Pegg.

Very good, tense episode this week, I must say.

Looks like the two Stevens were on hand to write this one, the Time Hiest and did a fairly good job of it.

Really and truly hated Madama Cacoxis clone far more than her. What she said to the fella in the bank, how high and mighty she was, ordering the Teller to WIPE PEOPLES' MINDS. After all that, or at a certain point during that scene, I knew I wanted her dead.

Not for the Doctor, or Clara, or even his other two helpers, to do so. But I wanted that fate for her, most certainly.

Whatever about accounts, but minds wiped? For something you hadn't even done, most of your being would be erased? JUST because of 'guilty intent'? And, family members, or kin, next of kin, incarcerated, for something they hadn't even done, that you had not done yourself? That is completely and totally morally reprehensible and hate her for it.

I might agree with my Dad on the cyber augmented gamer and the shapeshifter returning for another round. It might be a mixture of things. Just by virtue of being alive by the end of the episode, and both leaving on good terms with the Doctor and Clara. Having some Chinese takeaway, it seemed, together and laughing, bidding each other fond farewells. And, if we have our Captain Jack in the form of Robin Hood - if he does indeed return -, then we can have our I-don't-know-what for both of them, but both fulfilling good, distinctive roles, and relaively likeable characters that wouldn't be too bad an addition in future.

I'm not sure what they'd be doing, or is the memory erasing fella thought so poorly of the Doctor after she 'died', then what in future would he?

Really cool bit quietly displacing the floor, then bringing it back.

Could've sworn the Cybermen returned in this episode, but it doesn't seem like it. Definitely feature later in the Season anyway.

Not sure if the cyber/mech thing continued this week, but thought it did with the guards. If the two were able to disguise themselves in the armour, or by shapeshifting, though the latter wouldn't have mattered for that, then wouldn't likely have been.

And, not sure if the Doctor was't contradicting himself towards the end, when he said about let the date outdo robbing a bank. Sure, he said himself that it wasn't about robbing a bank; it was a rescue mission. Very admirable really, and, though I hate to say this, a very timey-wimey twist to it all.

Truthfully, I thought the crux of the episode was stemming from this, that they were all called to rob the bank, to show that there can be intruders, break ins, and the bank is not in fact impregnable. So the rug got twisted out from under me when, thanks to the Doctor and the Teller, the source of the plot was revealed.

It's a shame that it was too clear that it was the same actor, in old age make up, later on, simply because of the voice. Would've liked another actor, if not for an older look, than for the voice.

Nice that the two Tellers got free, and disrobed, at the end. Not sure how, with all the star/Sun stuff going on, how they all got to the TARDIS - where was it? Or, how'd they know where to go? How'd they get it sorted in time to transport there?

Also, even though the escapes were teleport devices, why didn't your man, as it was earlier established, simply wipe his memories, removing the threat of the Teller and his guilt? Maybe he didn't want to, having already done so already, and losing a lot from it, even if he can't remember that. And he'd already saved Clara, so didn't need to. Might've want to've kept a hold of Clara and the Doctor as memories, or save them later on.

Also, even though the constant reminding of fired being messy, and logically equating death, I still think it was overkill. The viewer would've likely understood that in a bank like this, after what'd happened with the Teller and the black man earlier on, it was a place where being fired definitely equalled death.

Actually, with all the constant destruction of clones, reminds me of the Ganger destruction in The Almost People and The Rebel Flesh, from Season 6. Also, thinking of the way Cacoxis went on, reminds me a bit of the woman in Seasons 1 and 2 of Doctor Who, who stretched her skin out and out more, to remove imperfections. Catherine or Caroline, her name?

^Lady Cassandra, I think. "The Last Human". Part of the same loose trilogy of episodes throughout the first three seasons that involved New Earth and the Face of Boe ("End of the World" "New Earth" and "Gridlock")

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    http://www.nerdist.com/2014/09/four-...on-the-inside/

Does anybody here read the Doctor Who Novels? I used to read the Eight Doctor Adventures for their easy to read trippiness (Like literary popcorn laced with acid). The one with the War Doctor seems interesting.

I've read a few here and there. There's many series of novels, although I have a lot of nostalgia for the Seventh Doctor-starring New Adventures, although many of those books are hard to find now. They're also somewhat more mature than the TV show(s), kind of a bit like Torchwood but with the Doctor.

More recently The Silent Stars Go By featuring the Eleventh Doctor and the Ice Warriors was pretty good (and much better I think the actual Matt Smith episode where one appeared).

Most of the novels these days tend to follow only the New series (Mostly Tennant/Smith/Capaldi, there's not a lot of Eccleston stuff) although there are the ocassional past Doctor novels or short stories that come out.

There's also the many, many novels which adapted the original series, which are an interesting read, especially the ones based on the lost stories. Although some of the adaptations are mainly transcripts of the TV script, some actually expanded quite a bit on the episodes they are based on (Such as the Rememberance Of The Daleks novel).

I like the Doctor Who novels, and really do recommend them. Some are great and some are bad; so just pick up the ones that have the best reviews online. I highly recommend reading Doctor who: shroud of should. It's certianly the best novel featuring the 11th Doctor. A bit flawed during the middle of the story, but otherwise it's a pretty good book all in all. I'll also probability get the 3 new novels that have been released right now as well soon.
    I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers... I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And we have, man, we have, all of us. Homes, and our families, normal lives. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it's giving us something. It is giving us a chance.

That was a cracking episode. And next week's looks interesting, with the return of John Smith.

Time Heist...An enjoyable (standalone) episode with a few nice twists, though there were some confusing bits.

So far my ranking of Series 8 episodes:
    Into the Dalek
    Listen
    Time Heist
    Deep Breath
    Robots of Sherwood

Next episode has me pretty excited for its premise from the preview. This looks like the first time since Remembrance of the Daleks that we'll be spending an extended period in the school itself.

As for novels, Engines of War is one I need to get at a certain point; moreso than any other novel possibly because it's the only other War Doctor material we have so far.

Retired

The Doctor's last remark at the end of this story gave me pause. While he might not have any romantic interest in Clara, it seems like he wants to show her a better time than what Danny can offer.

My guess, he doesn't want her running off and leaving him all alone. The question is why Clara? It was understandable why Ten wanted Rose to travel with him and why Eleven wanted Amy and Clara to travel with him. But it's not clear why Twelve has latched onto Clara and won't let go of her. Maybe it's just because she's the first face his face ever saw. Or perhaps she's the only one who would put up with him.

It couldn't be that he actually cares about Clara, could it? I mean as a friend. And he doesn't want to lose his friend to a lover? Nah.