Page 60 of 582 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160560 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    But, out of all of these, including the very first, which would any of you find the hardest to accomplish, in general, or if such creatures made it necessary for you to do so?
    Definitely the not thinking part. How do you just not think of anything?

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Don't think. Don't even think. Think and you're dead.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

What if I'm thinking about not thinking? Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Definitely the not thinking part. How do you just not think of anything?
    Ray learned that the hard way...

Gozer: Sub-creatures! Gozer the Gozerian, Gozer the Destructor, Volguus Zildrohar, the Traveller has come! Choose and perish!
    Ray Stantz: What do you mean, choose? We don't understand!
    Gozer: Choose! Choose the form of the Destructor!
    Peter Venkman: Oh, I get it. Real cute! [to the others] Whatever we think of— if we think of J. Edgar Hoover, J. Edgar Hoover will appear and destroy us, okay? So empty your heads, don't think of anything. We've only got one shot at this.
    Gozer: The choice is made!
    Venkman: Whoa! Hold on!
    Gozer: The Traveller has come!
    Venkman: Nobody chose anything! [turns to Egon] Did you think of anything?
    Egon Spengler: No.
    Venkman: [to Winston] Did you?
    Winston Zeddmore: My mind is totally blank.
    Venkman: I didn't think anything. [All three slowly turn to look at Ray]
    Stantz: I couldn't help it. It just popped in there.
    Venkman: [sternly] What? What "just popped in there?"
    Stantz: I- I- I tried to think...
    Spengler: Look! [They all look over one side of the roof]
    Stantz: No! It can't be!
    Venkman: What is it?
    Stantz: It can't be!
    Venkman: What did you do, Ray?!
    Zeddemore: Oh no! [They all see a giant cubic white head topped with a sailor hat]
    Stantz: [sighs, resigned] It's the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man.

I just started Doctor Who. I feel so behind lol :P

Quote Originally Posted by malysy View Post
    I just started Doctor Who. I feel so behind lol :P
    Welcome to the fold, malysy. You're very welcome and I hope you enjoy the show.

Where are you in it at the moment - and what do you think so far?

I'm now halfway through season 3 with David Tenant (I was told to start there), and I really dig it actually. My only issue is Donna. I find her annoying. Whatever though. I would like to watch some of the classic Doctor Who. Also i just purchased a Doctor Who comic book from my local comic store. I am enjoying this show and thank you for the warm welcome.

I'm now halfway through season 3 with David Tenant (I was told to start there), and I really dig it actually. My only issue is Donna. I find her annoying. Whatever though. I would like to watch some of the classic Doctor Who. Also i just purchased a Doctor Who comic book from my local comic store. I am enjoying this show and thank you for the warm welcome.
    Anytime, for a fellow Whovian. Or much of any newcomer, really.

As for Donna, without spoiling anything, you won't really have to put up with her after Season 4 ends. A bunch of very different specials in between 4 and 5, before Tennant makes way for Smith. And from 5 on, it's mostly always the same companion, with the odd addition.

I've only ever gotten two DW comics myself, bought for me, and my friend read them, rather than me, so I don't know if they're worth reading, but thinking of diving into the current Titan comics, with Ten, from what I've read and covers, for Ten, Eleven and Twelve are amazing.

And, as for classic, I can't help you much there, just watch what you're interested in and can afford, and don't let ANYone tell you differently.

Will just say, only available ones, in full, are Jon Pertwee-Paul McGann. The beginning of Who in colour and the film, Doctor Who: The Movie, with a few missing for William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton, but I'd recommend the Target books, to get their missing stories, then DVDs for rest, but whatever suits you, really.

Retired

I managed to watch every DW show on the internet for free--with the exception of a few involving Daleks. If I remember correctly, the Dalek story with Sylvester McCoy, I could only find in bits and pieces, here and there on different sites, so I had to read the synposis to fill in gaps. I think I had the same problem with Pertwee and Tom Baker Dalek stories--but I managed to fill in most of the missing gaps by finding different pieces here and there. Everything else I could find complete. Of course with Hartnell and Troughton there are the missing videos for some episodes--but in those situations, the audio with stills and/or animation were available. You have to be creative with your searches to find all of them--but it can be done. Or learn to speak Russian.

Also keep in mind classic Who is a bit different. With the exception of the first Colin Baker season (Which had 45-minute episodes), each story is about two-three hours long, divided into 30 minute 'serial' segments (Often 4-6 of them), which each end with a cliffhanger except the final one. So the format's one thing. This leads, especially in the long stories, of 'padding'. Doctor Who classic stories as a result are usually available on DVD by story instead of by season (With some exceptions).

There's also the low-budget. Doctor Who was a very low budget show for pretty much the entirety of the classic run, so sets, special effects, and costumes look a bit crappy (Although on some stories they actually did impressive things with the limited look). It also was mostly shot on videotape (with film often used for the exterior scenes only).

Also while the show had some pretty strong writing at times, the character story arcs were often not that developed (with some exceptions such as companions Turlough and Ace).

The Pertwee/Earlier Tom Baker stuff from the 70s is often considered the high point of the series by many fans, although there's plenty of acclaim for the Hartnell and Troughton stuff (although it's unfortunate that a lot is missing). Often it's agreed that the 80s were the most turbulent decade, with the BBC losing interest in the show, a burned out producer etc. and many other problems. As a result the story quality of the 80s is very uneven.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 09-22-2014 at 06:52 PM.

BANNED

Donna is season 4 (though she did appeared first in the season 3 christmas special). Season 1 & 2 companions are rose (and Captain jack for parts of season 1) , season 3 are mostly martha (joined by Jack in the 2 part finale) and season 4 is donna. I do suppose if you only start with the david tennant era , season 4 would become season 3.

Season 5 & 6 and halfway of season 7 are amy & rory with the matt smith doctor.
    Last edited by fmvgamer; 09-22-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Anytime, for a fellow Whovian. Or much of any newcomer, really.

As for Donna, without spoiling anything, you won't really have to put up with her after Season 4 ends. A bunch of very different specials in between 4 and 5, before Tennant makes way for Smith. And from 5 on, it's mostly always the same companion, with the odd addition.

I've only ever gotten two DW comics myself, bought for me, and my friend read them, rather than me, so I don't know if they're worth reading, but thinking of diving into the current Titan comics, with Ten, from what I've read and covers, for Ten, Eleven and Twelve are amazing.

And, as for classic, I can't help you much there, just watch what you're interested in and can afford, and don't let ANYone tell you differently.

Will just say, only available ones, in full, are Jon Pertwee-Paul McGann. The beginning of Who in colour and the film, Doctor Who: The Movie, with a few missing for William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton, but I'd recommend the Target books, to get their missing stories, then DVDs for rest, but whatever suits you, really.
    Thanks a lot for your advice.

Retired

Just look for any Classic stories featuring Nicholas Courtney, Jean Marsh, or Frazer Hines and you can't go wrong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Also keep in mind classic Who is a bit different. With the exception of the first Colin Baker season (Which had 45-minute episodes), each story is about two-three hours long, divided into 30 minute 'serial' segments (Often 4-6 of them), which each end with a cliffhanger except the final one. So the format's one thing. This leads, especially in the long stories, of 'padding'. Doctor Who classic stories as a result are usually available on DVD by story instead of by season (With some exceptions).
    If you ask me, most of them could easily be edited down an episode or two without losing any story. Many of them have numberous subplots that add nothing and only seem to be there to fill the requisite 4-6 episodes.

BANNED

Thanks a lot for your advice.
    Before you finish the david tennant era , might want to check out the tennant doctor appearance in the sarah jane adventures.
    The Trickster was the one who send the time beetle to donna in "Turn Left" to mess with the doctor after he learned about the doctor from sarah jane smith timeline.