Page 7 of 581 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107507 ... LastLast

Word has it that they're going to film in Lanzarote, where Planet of Fire and parts of Caves of Androzani were filmed.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

I read that yesterday as well. Here's the full article for those who haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Who News
    Hermione Norris announced for new series role

The BBC have announced that Hermione Norris has been cast in the new series of Doctor Who; the actress will appear in the latest episode to be filmed, written by Peter Harness and directed by Paul Wilmshurst, which will also see filming undertaken at a location previously seen in the fifth Doctor adventure, Planet of Fire.

Lead writer/Executive Producer Steven Moffat said:
    "It's a testament to the quality of Peter Harness's intense and emotional script, that we've been able to attract an actress of the brilliance of Hermione Norris. And for the first time since 1984, the Doctor Who production team is heading to Lanzarote. The Doctor is returning to the scene of an old adventure - but there have been sinister changes since his last visit."

Norris said:
    "It's exciting to be part of such an iconic show, and one that my kids can watch!!!"

The actress has had a number of memorable roles on television, including Ros Myers in Spooks, Beatrice in Kingdom, and DCI Carol Jordan in Wire in the Blood; her sci-fi credentials include playing Stella Isen in Outcasts. She can currently be seen in the BBC drama The Crimson Field.

Also announced for this episode is Tony Osoba, joining the relatively small 'club' of actors to appear in both the 'classic' and new series of Doctor Who. This will be his third appearance (and Doctor!) in the series: the actor previously appeared as the Movellan Lan in fourth Doctor adventure Destiny of the Daleks and as Kracauer in seventh Doctor tale Dragonfire.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

The Cybermen two-parter from the second season is getting a limited two-night release:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/05...514100008.html

Probably because of "Day of the Doctor"'s success as a similar event.

Seems a bit weird. For those who have the blu-ray set, how good was the upconversion on the non-HD seasons (Basically all the Eccleston/Tennant/RTD stuff except for the 2009 specials)?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Seems a bit weird. For those who have the blu-ray set, how good was the upconversion on the non-HD seasons (Basically all the Eccleston/Tennant/RTD stuff except for the 2009 specials)?
    Weirder still, cos Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel wasn't very good at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I'll never be able top like the Cybus Cybemen... I just can't.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    What? Why that one? Why not something good and worth seeing again such as The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit? The first would especially look brilliant on a big screen what with the space shots. (First scene with the black hole. Picture it.)

Looking back at a Doctor Who episode guide for Tennant, the Cyberman arc was imho the last one I'd have picked. Can even think of way more than two single episode stories that would have been better picks.
    Last edited by Kyer; 05-15-2014 at 03:35 PM.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Have you guys seen this IDW Doctor Who comics Pay-What-You-Like offer from Humble Books?
    Allons-y! Pay what you want for over 60 issues from IDW plus a fantastic mobile game with unlocked bonuses!

Just leaving this here for anyone who might be interested.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Who News
    Restoration Team member Paul Vanezis has released a video showing some of the delicate work carried out on the Second Doctor episodes that were recovered last year.

The nine episodes - from The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear - were returned to the BBC's archive in Perivale on Friday 31st May and the next day the film prints were taken to the Digital Media Services department of BBC Studios and Post Production in South Ruislip for transfer.

In 2013, nine lost episodes were returned to the BBC by the archive recovery organisation TIEA. This is what then happened to the films.

The film starts with the remedial work required to get the film on the film cleaner, then the film cleaner at work.

The film cleaner works by immersing the film in a bath of specially engineered inert fluid which acts as a transmission medium for the powerful ultrasonic waves which shock the dirt on the surface of the film and loosen it to allow it to be gently scrubbed off by rotating lambswool rollers submerged in the bath. Hot air knives dry the film as soon as it leaves the bath.

Then we see the first of the film watched for the very first time since it was lost.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Some pics from the Lanzarote filming, featuring the Doctor once again donning the spacesuit from The Impossible Planet/Satan pit: http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2014/...-spoilers.html

Finally got my hands on the 7th season for a reasonable price.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I'm just about finished watching both of the latest Patrick Troughton stories The Enemy Of The World and Web Of Fear.
    Now I remember exactly why I loved those Target book adaptions so much: Patrick was a fantastic Doctor. Such an expressive face. If only his shows had been shot in color (and not mostly destroyed..sigh.)

Wish they'd make animated episodes (on par with The Invasion) of all the lost stories with some really well done actor impersonations for the audio if the original audio was not salvageable. Or if not animation how about well produced comics in a trade format?
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

It was my understanding that audio is available for every story, it's only visual that is gone.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Retired

All of the audio for Doctor 2 exists I'm pretty sure--since I watched all those episodes not so long ago (albeit with screen stills and/or animation for the missing film) and I don't remember any audio that was left out.

I like Troughton in black and white. It gives the show some special quality. And there's a kind of nod to the silent era in his look and his performance.

I never would've thought that watching splices removed and film being cleaned should prove so suspenseful. But that was a heart-thumping teaser for the release of the restored series.

The so-called teaser for Doctor 12, on the other hand, is almost like an anti-teaser. Like watching this expunges all memory of the extant teasers for the 12th Doctor. As if BBC wants to take back what we know from having watched The Time of the Doctor and The Day of the Doctor and reduce us to a tabula rasa state of mind concerning 12.