Page 9 of 581 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109509 ... LastLast

I also found it interesting that both "Blink" and "Human Nature" are based on Who "Expanded Universe" stuff (Blink is based on an annual short story, while Human Nature was a 90's Seventh Doctor novel), although by the same writer as their TV versions.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot to be released on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Who News

The "alternative" 50th Anniversary special for Doctor Who, The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot, is to receive an official release on DVD, its co-star Colin Baker revealed at the DWAS convention Myth Makers this afternoon. The actor reported that it would appear on an as-yet unscheduled special set featuring former Doctor Matt Smith.

No other details of what the overall set will comprise are available at present, though it is likely to be released both on DVD and Blu-ray format later this year.

The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot tells the tale of the attempts of 'classic' Doctors Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Peter Davison (who also wrote and directed the piece) to appear in the 50th Anniversary adventure, and their various encounters and mishaps along the way!
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

About time Five(ish) got a release.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    About time Five(ish) got a release.
    Yep. Sure hope my job situation improves so I can get it. Only got to see it the once when it was on the BBC site. It was a lot of fun. Especially with the daleks and The Hobbit production set....the DW producers. In fact, I enjoyed that better than The Time Of The Doctor (which was memorable to me only for Handles and Matt's goodbye speech.)
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    Yep. Sure hope my job situation improves so I can get it. Only got to see it the once when it was on the BBC site. It was a lot of fun. Especially with the daleks and The Hobbit production set....the DW producers. In fact, I enjoyed that better than The Time Of The Doctor (which was memorable to me only for Handles and Matt's goodbye speech.)
    i haven't seen five(ish) but the time of the doctor was dreadful.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    i haven't seen five(ish) but the time of the doctor was dreadful.
    Handles was fun.
    The speech was poignant.
    Everything else save for the cameos of the Christmas turkey in the TARDIS and the wooden Cyberman made me either cringe in distaste or sigh in deep disappointment. It was a 180 from Day of the Doctor (which I've now gleefully watched something like eight times.) Even The Five Doctors was arguably better and that Classics episode made me groan into the palms of my hands several times for all that I loved seeing the old Doctors and companions again.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

BANNED

Ilove Troughton and Hartnell best. And the monsters introduced before Pertwee.

BANNED

I just want to add something I've been thinking about for a while,

the name "Jelly Baby" that's a horrible name for a candy! I mean it's like "hey! who wants to eat a baby!?"

Who doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    I just want to add something I've been thinking about for a while,

the name "Jelly Baby" that's a horrible name for a candy! I mean it's like "hey! who wants to eat a baby!?"
    As opposed to a Gummi Bear?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleWithTrebles View Post
    Ilove Troughton and Hartnell best. And the monsters introduced before Pertwee.
    Troughton and Hartnell are my favourites, as well. I always find it funny that the Doctor Who adversaries are called monsters. They don't seem like monsters to me. I know that it's tradition to call them momsters, but I wonder how that started. Is it some British thing? Daleks, Cybermen, Ice Warriors don't strike me as monsters--they've highly evolved alien beings. The Yeti maybe, but not really given their true origin. Maybe the word loses something in translation across the trans-Atlantic divide.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Troughton and Hartnell are my favourites, as well. I always find it funny that the Doctor Who adversaries are called monsters. They don't seem like monsters to me. I know that it's tradition to call them momsters, but I wonder how that started. Is it some British thing? Daleks, Cybermen, Ice Warriors don't strike me as monsters--they've highly evolved alien beings. The Yeti maybe, but not really given their true origin. Maybe the word loses something in translation across the trans-Atlantic divide.
    Some aliens get called monsters, it just depends.
    Xenomorpgs and Things get called monsters all the time.

BANNED

Highly evolved aliens that act like Daleks or Cybermen are monsters.

Retired

I suppose it's the same as Captain Marvel's Monster Society of Evil--which I've also always had a problem with. Some individuals in the MSE could be described as actual monsters (big, ugly and disgusting), but others like Mr. Mind and Dr. Sivana don't seem like real monsters to me. They are monsters only in another use of the word, as when we say that Hitler was a monster--but there it's almost a metaphor. One use of the word means something that is big and ugly but not necessarily evil--as many monsters are not evil (towit Swamp Thing)--while the other use of the word is something that is evil but not necessarily big or ugly (towit Captain Nazi).

I can see using the word to refer to some villains in that way. What strikes me strange, though, is that "Monster" has become the go to word for all Doctor Who adversaries--rather than rogue or alien or creature or menace or villain. And I wonder if there was any particular history behind that--and maybe someone knows how it came about. My guess is that British kids in the '60s found these villains frightening--but to me they aren't all that frightening or horrible. Whereas, monsters in American programs are often very disgusting, horrible and terrifying.

I LOVE LUCY scared me when I was a little kid, but I wouldn't automatically think to call Lucille Ball a monster.

BANNED

I suppose it's the same as Captain Marvel's Monster Society of Evil--which I've also always had a problem with. Some individuals in the MSE could be described as actual monsters (big, ugly and disgusting), but others like Mr. Mind and Dr. Sivana don't seem like real monsters to me. They are monsters only in another use of the word, as when we say that Hitler was a monster--but there it's almost a metaphor. One use of the word means something that is big and ugly but not necessarily evil--as many monsters are not evil (towit Swamp Thing)--while the other use of the word is something that is evil but not necessarily big or ugly (towit Captain Nazi).

I can see using the word to refer to some villains in that way. What strikes me strange, though, is that "Monster" has become the go to word for all Doctor Who adversaries--rather than rogue or alien or creature or menace or villain. And I wonder if there was any particular history behind that--and maybe someone knows how it came about. My guess is that British kids in the '60s found these villains frightening--but to me they aren't all that frightening or horrible. Whereas, monsters in American programs are often very disgusting, horrible and terrifying.

I LOVE LUCY scared me when I was a little kid, but I wouldn't automatically think to call Lucille Ball a monster.
    During 50's Atom Age horror, aliens were usually called monsters as well.
    It's just a thing. If it's scary looking... it's a monster.