Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which 90s X-books are actually worth reading?

I'm on a seemingly endless read through of the X-books. I started during the Wein and Cockrum days and find myself in 1993 now.
    My two favorites of this period just ended (PAD's Excalibur and Davis' Excalbur) and Nicieza's X-force is still dumb fun (thanks to some very nice art by Capullo), but the Blue and Gold books are kind if meh right now.

I know I can look forward to AoA and Lobdell's Gen X, but aside from those, which runs are really worth reading?
    I think there's nothing when it comes to X-factor post-PAD and Excalibur until Ellis takes over, an even that seems debatable.

Do you guys have any tips as to which runs should be avoided and which are worth the time?

I'd say go ahead and tough out the Lobdell filler over in Excalibur and read up through the end of the Ellis run (plus the Pryde and Wisdom mini). Run like hell once Raab shows up, though.

There's a decent Starjammers mini during that time that might be worth a look if you care about that crew.

BANNED

Road Trip era X-Force
    Kelly/Seagle X-Men

Davis/Davis Excalibur.

Pretend his last issue is the book’s last issue.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Road Trip era X-Force
    Kelly/Seagle X-Men
    Came here to say just this.

I have fondness for OZT-era Lobdell X-Men as well.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Both Uncanny and Adjectiveless X-Men through Zero Tolerance.

Lobdell's Generation X

X-Force (pretty much all of it)

Ellis Excalibur

Hama's Wolverine

PAD X-Factor
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Definitely Nicieza's entire run on Gambit.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    This. Gambit by Nicieza is the best Gambit.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Weapon X by Barry Windsor-Smith.

Thank you so much for the recommendations, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I'd say go ahead and tough out the Lobdell filler over in Excalibur and read up through the end of the Ellis run (plus the Pryde and Wisdom mini). Run like hell once Raab shows up, though.

There's a decent Starjammers mini during that time that might be worth a look if you care about that crew.
    I never knew Raab's run was worse than Lobdell's. I'll follow your advice, but so far it's been hard seeing how much Lobdell's destroyed all the concepts and momentum from Davis' run. I've just finished the first arc, whoch was basically a way to get rid of Cerise. Not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Road Trip era X-Force
    Kelly/Seagle X-Men
    These two should be fun. I've actually read a bunch of issues from the Kelly/Seagle era when I was a kid, but it will be nice to read them all in order and context.
    I've always hoped they'd return to the X-men someday.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Davis/Davis Excalibur.

Pretend his last issue is the book’s last issue.
    Sadly I've already finished it. One of my favorites X-runs for sure. I hope the new book is at least half as fun and unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Came here to say just this.

I have fondness for OZT-era Lobdell X-Men as well.
    I do have a soft spot for Cece, Marrow and Maggot, so I'll give those issues a try

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Both Uncanny and Adjectiveless X-Men through Zero Tolerance.

Lobdell's Generation X

X-Force (pretty much all of it)

Ellis Excalibur

Hama's Wolverine

PAD X-Factor
    Great list. I LOVE the start of Gen X (Lobdell is so hit or miss lol).
    The one I'm not sure about is Hama's Wolverine. I'm already reading issue #70 and I think it's one of the most uneven X-runs. There are some truly incredible arcs, followed by some pretty uninspired ones that feel like fillers (i.e. the Savage Land arc I'm currently reading).

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Great! I had totally forgotten about including this run on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Weapon X by Barry Windsor-Smith.
    Already read it and it's a real classic. Stories like this make me feel like Wolverine is way past his prime, as nothing truly compares nowadays.

The one I'm not sure about is Hama's Wolverine. I'm already reading issue #70 and I think it's one of the most uneven X-runs. There are some truly incredible arcs, followed by some pretty uninspired ones that feel like fillers (i.e. the Savage Land arc I'm currently reading).
    Is definetly a product of his time in my opinion, i personally think that barring the Silver Fox retcon (#61 to #64) is mostly good until issue #90 with the fight between Creed and Logan plus the Weapon X mini from Age of Apocalypse. After that though the quality dips, only issue #94 and #96, the rest goes from ok to forgettable and kind of silly.

Another story arc that i would recommend is Not Deat Yet by Warren Ellis (Wolverine 119 to 122). Nicieza done in one issue (#132) and Degazzo short Wendigo arc (#129-130).
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I never knew Raab's run was worse than Lobdell's. I'll follow your advice, but so far it's been hard seeing how much Lobdell's destroyed all the concepts and momentum from Davis' run. I've just finished the first arc, whoch was basically a way to get rid of Cerise. Not cool.
    My understanding of that whole mess was that Bob Harras hated that Excalibur didn't fit in with the rest of the X-Books at the time in look and tone, so when Lobdell and Slott came on, the orders were to get rid of most of Davis' "quirky" cast and get the team more connected to the rest of the X-Line. No Cerise, no Kylun, no Feron, get CB looking more generic superhero, and plant the team on Muir Island so they can be involved in all the cross-over stuff. It's not a great time, very generic 90's, but there are a couple of decent bits for Nightcrawler.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 09-01-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Pretty much everything I could think of has been said, but I'd recommand X-men/Clandestine crossover. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    This. Gambit by Nicieza is the best Gambit.
    Agreed. Especially when Steve Skroce did the artwork.

Astonishing Member

depowered mutant Maverick had a 12 issues run of a solo in 1998 thats pretty good

the only 90s books that were good for many years are XFactor with PAD and Hama Wolverine. Also Kelly's Deadpool if you consider it an XBook. Obviously Age of Apocalypse is a must.