Mighty Member

Default Zanadu Comics in Seattle is closing

I have to admit with my job and life being what it is... I lost track of my favorite comic book shop over the years. after 42 years they're finally closing.

what I really liked about the place was that the staff was really courteous and knowledgeable. they didn't look down on manga or children's comics. Perry and Howard were always fantastic and professional. they had a great blend of DC, Marvel, indie comics, manga, and historical reprints and omnibuses.

back when I had disposable income a little over half of my collection came from this store. what was more impressive is that when they launched another site in the U-District that same level of professional courtesy and variety of titles was still there. I was a bit bummed out that they didn't buy used comics - but they immediately suggested two other places that I could go to! over the last 20 some odd years I've always had fantastic experiences there and recommended it to every comics fan in Seattle I ever met.

I had quite a few friends (not unlike myself) that went to other stores but just liked the experience and selection of titles at Zanadu better. and while this might seem strange to some... it was a pretty "kid-friendly" shop as well. they had a lot of spinner racks with children's comics right up at the front. they really did a good job of trying to have something for everybody who might walk in.

in a way, though, being near the very heart of downtown Seattle was a blessing and a curse. I imagine with the soaring real estate prices that they just couldn't keep up with the bills. and the prospect of getting affordable alternate locations might have been very bleak.

it's sad to see them shut down. best comic book shop I've ever been to. it feels strange now that I finally have a chance to buy books again that my favorite shop is shutting down. I wish Perry, Howard, and all the gang the very best.

http://www.seattlemag.com/arts-and-c...comics-closing
    http://www.zanaducomics.com/

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

I've been there many times. I completed my Alan Moore Swamp Thing collection at Zanadu. I remember when Howard was at Lady Jane's Comics in Tacoma. Good memories.

Incredible Member

I remember going there every week when I was going to UW. The place was busy and the staff was always eager to talk comics. Visited the place this last summer when I spent a few days in Seattle, no one was in there but myself and my nephew and the counter guy. And it was a Saturday afternoon.

Also went to Emerald Con this year and didn't see their presence there. Was this normal? Figured they would try to get out-of-town customers come to their store during the con.