Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I'm really interested in how he does the FF's eventual return now that it's out of Alonso's hands.
    I think it's going to be interesting to see what we can start attributing to Cebulski, or notcing his impact, compared to what was probably in the pipeline while Alonso was still in charge.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's going to be interesting to see what we can start attributing to Cebulski, or notcing his impact, compared to what was probably in the pipeline while Alonso was still in charge.
    I wouldn't expect to see anything non-Alonso for a while. Marvel is already in the middle of stuff that leads well into 2018.

I know he's good at finding new talent, but I wanna see if he's good at getting established talent from other publishers. In a few years, the DC exclusive deals are gonna end and there are some writers that I think we all want to see at Marvel and some artists who would probably be more interesting if they didn't have to do the house style thing. Remember a few years ago, when Charles Soule signed exclusive to Marvel and DC fans threw a fit because "he was theirs and Marvel stole him?" I have a feeling that's gonna happen again in a few years, but on a bigger scale depending on who and how many sign with Marvel.

Same with creators that have one foot out the door, so to speak. Can he get Gillen to write a another book about a Marvel hero alongside his Star Wars? Can he keep Hickman from going exclusively to DC? Can he give Tom Taylor the exclusive deal he so rightly deserves?

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I'm really interested in how he does the FF's eventual return now that it's out of Alonso's hands.
    The plans feel to be in motion far too long to change course now so I expect we'll see them back at the end of the whole Legacy storyline/initiative.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I don't get it, are you saying you agree that comic creators should not be allowed to voice their opinions through comic books? Do you think Lee, Kirby and others would've created the kind of stories they created if they had the mindset that their opinions on certain issues should be left out from their stories? Because that's what's being discussed here, and like I've pointed out above, this is actually the kind of thing that's been happening on Marvel since forever and no, it's not like some of you seem to remember.
    Im saying I'm getting the impression that those "concerned" with CB censoring writers is because his views and priorities in Marvel's comics don't align with their. And yes it goes both ways in this thread. Everyone is for free speech and writers getting to say what they want when they like what they say. And politics in comics has become so entrenched that talking about that is just about as impossible as talking politics themselves because everyone's got a line to tow.

The difference is politics effects every citizen in the country they are in. Comics are a bunch of fictional characters.

Its not the same and we all know it.You cant equate Waid and Spencer with Jack freaking Kirby.

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGunStar View Post
    Its not the same and we all know it.You cant equate Waid and Spencer with Jack freaking Kirby.
    How exactly is it not the same? They are creators being creative with creative freedom. UNLIKE nearly the whole of the nineties and a few years either side when it was ex-fan editors telling writers what comics should be about and worse sometimes actually taking over the writing. Leading to a period of creative stagnation.

If we want great comics then you let people tell stories. Stories that are meaningful and sweeping. Stories that change things or get people invested in them. You make them reflect reality and allow creative people to explore issues that impassion them.

BANNED

@CBCebulski
    To prepare for the future, one must remember the past...
    https://twitter.com/CBCebulski/statu...F%3Fpage%3D641

Amazing Member

I imagine what he's referring to is telling stories with less topical politics. The thing about the classics that everyone like to cite as political (Days of Future Past, original Secret Empire, God Loves, etc) are that the politics they address are timeless, they are Human stories, not partisan stories. Fiction can be an awesome vehicle to address social concerns but it requires a more nuanced understanding than regurgitating political talking points, hashtags and slogans on page.

Most of the controversial modern stuff doesn't compare to DoFP and the like, an adept comparison would be more like the anti-drug books of the 80s, the early anti-commi/cold war stuff, the post 9/11 propaganda. These books are looked backed on with a cringe because they are topical, time sensitive, and beat you over the head with dated political messages. That's a far cry from a dystopian story that address's the darker side of human nature, or the dangers of authoritarian structures, or distrusts of our governing bodies. These stories, political as they may be, still manage to speak to a wide audience and not just their own echo chamber. I imagine [I]that[I] is the sort of politics he's referring to, there's a difference between telling a story and building a soapbox.

The move makes sense.

The last two events weren't very well-received (Civil War 2, Secret Empire.) The reception to Legacy isn't the best. Avengers has declined in significance. Bendis just left, meaning replacements are required on four titles (The Defenders, Iron Man, Jessica Jones, Miles Morales.) The Inhumans haven't taken off, and with the show bombing, there isn''t the benefit of being able to sell back-material to its fans. The diversity initiatives seem to have gone overboard, and there are limited moves forward without pissing off some people (the people who want higher prominence for the famous characters who are disproportionately likely to be white males want something mutually exclusive from the people who want higher prominence for new characters.)

It might be that Alonso wasn't the right fit for this time. He was pretty open about not being as big a Marvel fan, and the things he did well (getting interesting talent for largely self-contained titles in Vertigo and Quesada's Marvel) weren't necessarily the same as spearheading a shared universe.

Cebulski has some advantages, although there's no guarantee of success. He's a lifelong Marvel fan. He's one of the best in the industry in talent acquisition, which the company really needs right now (Who are their big writers aside from Slott, Jason Aaron or Mark Waid? When have they had their last breakout artist?) His job for the last few years has been finding new audiences, and making the brand more accessible. Since he's spent the last few years overseas, he's avoided the current fights, and might be positioned to resolve it without pissing off anybody.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

Well, I wish Cebulski good luck. However, sadly, he still cannot veto the directives that come down from on high from Disney's Upper Management.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Panini is why we can't have nice things.
    Got that right. I actually think they may be in some kind of financial trouble, they just made some serious cutbacks on Doctor Who Magazine (which is what caused last month's Wotcha incident, the column was axed and the writer insulted the publisher by stealth) and it's comic strip is now 8 pages instead of 12. Also may have cut down the print run, two shops didn't have the new issue today and it only came out three days ago so it shouldn't be sold out.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Marvel Collectors Editions get negative treatment next. Increased cover price, more skipped issues, less 100 page specials, and just generally playing it safe (they've made some wrong choices in the past, like not running Hickman's Avengers causing Secret Wars to come from nowhere).

I can't remember if I posted in here already or not. Anyway, good news. Alonso is OUT! No more Axel in Charge, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Forever View Post
    Well, I wish Cebulski good luck. However, sadly, he still cannot veto the directives that come down from on high from Disney's Upper Management.
    And what were those. Do tell. You seem to have information that nobody else does.