Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

and bring different countries and cultures into the comics
    I'd like to see more non-USA or UK countries, as well as heroes, in the Marvel comics.
    Spencer and Ewing have been good on that front. I hope that we'll get to see Euroforce, the Triumph Division or the Ascendants again.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Cebulski's start date as EIC is today. He's already EIC. You just won't see that reflected in the books for a few months. Probably around March/April and beyond.

Bendis' last Defenders issue is #10. And it sounds like the book may be ending when he leaves.
    The rapidity of the changeover is telling.

From what I hear, he's the proverbial "fat comicbook geek" (no offense intended to him). A very encouraging sign. Hopefully he will clean house on staff and get in assistant editors and writers who put the books first, second, and third, and also crack down on their crappy social media attitudes.

Fantastic Member

Are there people that don't consume fiction as escapism? Cause seems the primary reason for it's existence.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodofthegods View Post
    Are there people that don't consume fiction as escapism? Cause seems the primary reason for it's existence.
    Some people seem to think that political/social messages in comic books are more important that the quality of the story or the art, so... I have often wondered why they actually buy comic books in the first place.

This is long overdue. I'd say it should have happened years ago, but Alonso should have never been in the position in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    Some people seem to think that political/social messages in comic books are more important that the quality of the story or the art, so... I have often wondered why they actually buy comic books in the first place.
    Considering how Comic Books are just as much a collectors item and the variant covers fuel that engine, my guess is:

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bloodofthegods View Post
    The main reason why anyone sells entertainment is money, don't be fooled. As for ''escapism'', I can't speak for all types of medium, but Stan Lee, one of the people who helped shape the MU as we know it, has gone on record to state that purely escapist comics are like a man without a soul, so I'd argue that, as far as Marvel Comics is concerned, escapism was never the MAIN reason for its existence. I mean, heck, even when they were Timely Comics, they still published heavily politicized stuff like Captain America. Like Cebulski said, it's all about that balance between laid-back entertainment and storytelling that reflects real life.

I'm a little concerned about his statement that ''books shouldn't reflect the opinions of the makers'', though, because that sounds dangerously close to censorship. I hope he just didn't express himself properly and just meant less stuff like America (where the writer seems to project herself into the story and all the characters, without much regard to a consistent and organic characterization/storytelling), but still stuff like Nick Spencer's Captains America books, that contained some very valid and needed social/political opinions that didn't jeopardize the stories, but actually made them compelling.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 11-17-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I'm a little concerned about his statement that ''books shouldn't reflect the opinions of the makers'', though, because that sounds dangerously close to censorship. I hope he just didn't express himself properly and just meant less stuff like America (where the writer seems to project herself into the story and all the characters, without much regard to a consistent and organic characterization/storytelling), but still stuff like Nick Spencer's Captains America books, that contained some very valid and needed social/political opinions that didn't jeopardize the stories, but actually made them compelling.
    I think he's saying those messages can be there, but that maybe they shouldn't go as dark or as depressing as Spencer's run could get at times.

Maybe that's what made the message more powerful and meaningful, but it can also make the comics more difficult to read and the shift to hope and idealism from that feel a little hollow (as it did for some near the end of Secret Empire).

If Axel Alonso left the job on his own accord, I wish him well in his future endeavours. If he was ushered out by Marvel Comics, it is unfortunate as it is never a good thing for someone to lose their job.

Having said that, I am very much happy to see this. To me, Alonso's legacy as EiC is by far the worst in history. While I did not like everything that happened with Marvel under Joe Quesada, he brought a lot of freshness and excitement to Marvel. I was very much excited when I heard Alonso was going to become the new EiC, as I was very impressed with things he accomplished at DC with Vertigo. I thought he'd bring with him amazing new creators and lots of energy. My optimism quickly faded as Marvel had spiraled into a habit of re-starting with new number ones, flushing long-standing characters down the toilet in what felt like petty ways to make room for this annoying push for diversity.

In all honesty, I don't know how much of that is Alonso and how much of that was the mandate of Marvel's higher-ups with Alonso being the public face, but I had quit reading Marvel Comics. I would like to come back and read Marvel again, but only if C.B. Cebulski is going to do things very differently. If it is going to be more of the same, then I am not the target audience and I am ok with that.

I stopped reading Marvel due to the continuous bad taste in my mouth. I am interested in seeing what Cebulski can do, but I am very much in the wait-and-see mode.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

The main reason why anyone sells entertainment is money, don't be fooled. As for ''escapism'', I can't speak for all types of medium, but Stan Lee, one of the people who helped shape the MU as we know it, has gone on record to state that purely escapist comics are like a man without a soul, so I'd argue that, as far as Marvel Comics is concerned, escapism was never the MAIN reason for its existence. I mean, heck, even when they were Timely Comics, they still published heavily politicized stuff like Captain America.
    Captain America was not created to divide Americans, rather to unite them. He was fighting foreign terrorists who were committing mass atrocities. And with that, I continue by saying that I really object to the premise that comics have always been political. (Sure there are some anecdotes to point to, but they were never really specific.) People who say they were are rewriting history and the sales figures prove that. Everybody should be able to enjoy comics no matter what side of the political aisle the line up on. And comparing your political opponent of today to those who sympathized with Hitler... That’s just gross.

but still stuff like Nick Spencer's Captains America books, that contained some very valid and needed social/political opinions that didn't jeopardize the stories, but actually made them compelling.
    I don’t think making Cap a Nazi was something that was valid or needed or compelling. And that was essentially the whole story.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 11-17-2017 at 06:29 PM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

But apart from that, I wish the best to Cebulski and Marvel.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Congratulations to C.B.... I hope this means we'll be getting solid characterizations, stories and art going forward. I preferred Axel as an Editor* but was not a fan of him as E-i-C.

*I was glad Axel was a Moon Knight fan which meant Marc keeps getting published (even if some of those runs were utter drek.)

Any rate, good luck to both men. I'll be watching and waiting to see exactly what's done with Marvel beyond Moon Knight now, but this is an interesting sign.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

I heard C.B is a giant weeb! I hope he's been ready My Hero Academia and One Piece!

I'm excited, Marvel has been in need of a change and I'm looking forward to what comes.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

This is something I can get behind. He seems to understand what will make everyone happy and I can't wait to see how he helps Marvel grow.

Fantastic Member

The main reason why anyone sells entertainment is money, don't be fooled. As for ''escapism'', I can't speak for all types of medium, but Stan Lee, one of the people who helped shape the MU as we know it, has gone on record to state that purely escapist comics are like a man without a soul, so I'd argue that, as far as Marvel Comics is concerned, escapism was never the MAIN reason for its existence. I mean, heck, even when they were Timely Comics, they still published heavily politicized stuff like Captain America. Like Cebulski said, it's all about that balance between laid-back entertainment and storytelling that reflects real life.
    Yes a company is going to sell what profits ultimately. But escapism, be it in art, sports, games, drugs or anything else are in demand because people want to escape the dregory of life. Lee, with Marvel went with real places to reflect the real world unlike DCs fictional geography. He wanted people to feel as if this was happening around them even if the happenings were fictional. Lee also said he wrote to appeal to all and that he'd never right something he didn't want to read himself. Because if he didn't then why would he subject someone else to it.

And as Kurt said politics with Cap and the Invaders and other comics were written to unite against the common threat. Did I find their sharp toothed Japanese utterly repulsive? Yes. But I also didn't live at that time. Intent is true mark of what a piece of fiction is trying to do. And the issues with social and political insertation of comics now is not doing that all. And it's becoming a parody of itself when we joke that Thing isn't the only orange monster. Though it is pretty funny. Are we writing superhero comics or editorial comics? There's a balance. We just need to find it. Because make no mistake Disney is after profit.

People are always concerned when it's the agenda they want sent out. People get fit to be tied over Sim but when it's there message, the creators are being censored. We all have to have some self realization.