Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    And they have been fired.

See College football coaches.
    Others lying about military service
    Lying about having been in the military is a whole different ballgame than having a different name to use as writer! lol

Cause it may causes lives. Can't you guys see the difference? Christ.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post

No one gets rejected for having a white dude name. It doesn't happen. But having a female name? Having an "ethnic" name? People get rejected with those names all the time.
    Uh actually in 2017 (and possibly farther back in recent liberal America) a typically generic "white male" name has good odds of being rejected in order to comply with Affirmative Action & EEO policies, like let's not pretend there aren't biases on both sides.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Pretending to belong to a race one doesn't belong to is racist. Because it is treating that race as, essentially, a choice. Something one can choose to be. But it's not a choice.

The fact that it took until 2016 for Marvel to hire a black female writer is a pretty good indication that the system's rigged. Comics is very much based on Who You Know. And it's a whole lot of white people who know a whole lot of white people. Like, do you honestly, genuinely believe that people of colour get the same opportunities in the industry that white guys get? They don't. The mainstream comics industry, from the top right to the bottom, across every established publisher, is goddamn racist and sexist. They are just not willing to give opportunities to women and POC (and especially to WOC). A quick look at the gender and racial make-up of any publisher's creative line-up gives a pretty good indication of just how incredibly unbalanced the system is.

Unless you think that no black women got to write for Marvel because there just wasn't a single talented black woman in the entirety of the comic industry prior to 2016.

There's plenty of other potential EiC's who could promote diverse creators, too. Look, I'm not going to say people are wrong for thinking the good he's done outweighs the bad. I will say people are 100% wrong for thinking what he did wasn't wrong at all.

IT! IS! NOT! THE! SAME! FRIGGING! THING!

It's not. It's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not it's not .

It is, in no way, even remotely the same thing.

Do you know why women use male pen names? Or why people of colour use Anglicized pen/stage names? Because Western entertainment is awful. Because female writers still get less respect and have more trouble getting published in the majority of genres. People with "ethnic" names are less likely to get hired. There are countless stories out there about this ****.

IT IS NOT THE SAME THING.

No one gets rejected for having a white dude name. It doesn't happen. But having a female name? Having an "ethnic" name? People get rejected with those names all the time.

The very idea of comparing a guy who was already getting consistent work in the industry to someone who has to make the difficult decision to use a name that hides who they are because their real name makes it more difficult for them to get work is balls-out goddamn stupid. I'm not going to sugar-coat this: It is a stupid comparison. It is incredibly stupid, and it comes from a place of not giving a single wet hot **** about the struggles that other people have to go through to have careers in fields they love. It pretends that the world is a total meritocracy and no one ever faces any obstacles based on gender or race or anything else, and it is one of the stupidest things in the world.

Holy ****.
    Whatever if you are white, black, purple, being male, female and so forth, whatever get your foot in the door to work, I don't have a problem with it.

But of course you have to play the victimized card "but he's a white male, how could he have trouble finding work!".

Again with the identity politics.

BANNED

Someone should call out Benjamin Franklin for using female pen names at a time when women had trouble getting published.
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 11-30-2017 at 11:24 PM.

BANNED

Tiamatty
    what about this
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/88...pplicants-only
    https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/...idates_from_a/
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017...r-represented/

BBC World Service internship scheme only open to people who aren't WHITE

“We help young people, from under-represented communities throughout the UK, to access creative careers,” says the organisation on its website. “Our vision is that in the longer term, our interns will progress to management positions, and in turn bring in others from under-represented communities in alongside them.”

Far from being underrepresented, the BBC’s Equality Information Report for 2017 showed that black and minority ethnic (BME) people make up 14.5 per cent of the corporation’s workforce, while comprising less than 13 per cent of Britain’s population at the 2011 census.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Ultimately, this is an internal matter. Marvel has all the information on exactly what happened, in full detail - more than would be publicly known. It's on them to investigate what terms Cebulski violated and decide what their appropriate response should be. And they've already done this. Quite some time ago.

Having people far, far outside the situation try and deem what should or shouldn't be done after the fact is ridiculous.

I expect most people wouldn't like it much if everyone else took it upon themselves to poke their nose into their workplace and try and second guess every decision that was made.
    Well, I don't disagree with you on that. Marvel should work that out among themselves, and it looks like they already did. They didn't fire him back then, so I doubt they're gonna fire him now. And it's okay, I can live with that and I still hope he does a good job as EIC. All I'm saying is that if there is some complaint or concern from creators who got their pitch rejected at the time only to see it being given to Yoshida, it's completely valid, because for all they know, the guy could have had the kind of editorial advantage they did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    That’s true.

It’s still weird.

Do you know of any Japanese writers tackling the Norse myths?
    Or African writers?
    Somebody has clearly never watched anime or read manga. They do it all the time over in Japan (often in strange and unconventional ways).

It is, in fact quite remotely the same thing.

If a woman refuses to a hire man because he is male and will "always have sex on his mind", who in her eyes will be distracted-- is sexism, same concept same thing! If a black man preaches "all whites need to die because of racist white cops" and sets about killing any white folk he sees, it is racially motivated it is racism, despite whatever struggles or mental gymnastics are at play here it is the same thing. If a jewish businessman refuses to do business with a christian businessman purely on the prospect that he is of the "inferior" faith then it is religious discrimination, I could go on all day but prejudice is prejudice. It doesn't matter if you're upset at the "patriarchy" because they are white and male, denying people who are also white and male (and or straight/christian/cisgender) from services on the grounds of "the patriarchy" is still discrimination, it's just merely providing a motive.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    Uh actually in 2017 (and possibly farther back in recent liberal America) a typically generic "white male" name has good odds of being rejected in order to comply with Affirmative Action & EEO policies, like let's not pretend there aren't biases on both sides.
    No. It doesn't happen. You know who the biggest beneficiaries are of affirmative action? White people. (More specifically, white women.) But white men aren't losing out on jobs because they're white men. They're losing out on jobs because they're mediocre candidates who are benefiting slightly less from institutionalized biases in hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Whatever if you are white, black, purple, being male, female and so forth, whatever get your foot in the door to work, I don't have a problem with it.

But of course you have to play the victimized card "but he's a white male, how could he have trouble finding work!".

Again with the identity politics.
    Cebulski had his foot in the door. He was already in the room. In fact, he was in a role where he could actively let other people into the room. And he pretended to be Japanese in order to get more work, which actively blocked other people from being hired for those jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    Someone should call out Benjamin Franklin for using female pen names at a time when women had trouble getting published. What a dick.
    I mean, I'm pretty sure there's plenty that Ben Franklin could be called out for.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    Tiamatty
    what about this

“We help young people, from under-represented communities throughout the UK, to access creative careers,” says the organisation on its website. “Our vision is that in the longer term, our interns will progress to management positions, and in turn bring in others from under-represented communities in alongside them.”

Far from being underrepresented, the BBC’s Equality Information Report for 2017 showed that black and minority ethnic (BME) people make up 14.5 per cent of the corporation’s workforce, while comprising less than 13 per cent of Britain’s population at the 2011 census.
    What do I think? Mostly, that I don't give a damn about anything that any of those sources say. They're all full of racism, xenophobia, lies, propaganda, and just all-around BS. Beyond that, I also think that, on the whole, racial minorities do still face systemic obstacles in British society, and efforts to combat those obstacles are valid.

It is, in fact quite remotely the same thing.

If a woman refuses to a hire man because he is male and will "always have sex on his mind", who in her eyes will be distracted-- is sexism, same concept same thing! If a black man preaches "all whites need to die because of racist white cops" and sets about killing any white folk he sees, it is racially motivated it is racism, despite whatever struggles or mental gymnastics are at play here it is the same thing. If a jewish businessman refuses to do business with a christian businessman purely on the prospect that he is of the "inferior" faith then it is religious discrimination, I could go on all day but prejudice is prejudice. It doesn't matter if you're upset at the "patriarchy" because they are white and male, denying people who are also white and male (and or straight/christian/cisgender) from services on the grounds of "the patriarchy" is still discrimination, it's just merely providing a motive.
    Except your scenarios are things that don't happen. You're comparing real-world institutionalized biases that are designed to benefit white men at the expense of women and POC, to made-up hypotheticals.

And ****, if a black guy says all white people need to die, well, he doesn't actually have the power to do that, unlike the cops who routinely kill unarmed black people and get acquitted.

Ultimate Member

In the US, if you’re rejected by one establishment for a “generic white name”odds are they you will still get opportunities in thousands of other places. For folks of foreign descent like say an African man bearing Chukuwdi Nnamdi,their choices are EXTREMELY limited and folks like these are eventually forced to change their names (in several instances)to get work. This is an extremely common practice and even actors (Chloe Bennet) have been forced to do this.

Believe me, I’ve witnessed this first hand because I’m a man of partial African descent. Opportunities (I mean good opportunities) are not as ubiquitous as people make it seem. That’s not to say that people of color don’t get work but there are still a TONS of challenges. Without the equality policies a good chunk of people of color just won’t get work and when they do get work there are still glass ceilings abound. At the risk of getting too political here, I advise people to read the biographies of successful people of color and the struggles they went through.

The effects of the equality practices are more pronounced now because the minority population and the educated portion of said population has increased drastically over the last few decades. In my personal experience there’s absolutely no comparison between the struggles of white Americans and people of color when it comes to employment opportunities in the US. It might the case in other parts of the world but it’s not the case in the US. People of color still get the shortest stick here. Big time.

As for C.B. Cebulski,what he did was ridiculously idiotic and in many other organizations he would be fired for this. And yes, he did take an opportunity away from the people it was intended for which is a pretty skeezy thing to do. When it’s all said and done it’s for Marvel to sort it out internally.
    Last edited by Username taken; 11-30-2017 at 11:47 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    Tiamatty
    what about this

Horrible reporting.

The advertised position wasn’t for jobs, it was for training and development programs.

That’s how news is spun to create scenarios to portray the majority race as somehow lacking job opportunities.

BANNED

I mean, I'm pretty sure there's plenty that Ben Franklin could be called out for.
    How dare you.

BANNED

Tiamatty:
    What do I think? Mostly, that I don't give a damn about anything that any of those sources say. They're all full of racism, xenophobia, lies, propaganda, and just all-around BS. Beyond that, I also think that, on the whole, racial minorities do still face systemic obstacles in British society, and efforts to combat those obstacles are valid.
    And ****, if a black guy says all white people need to die, well, he doesn't actually have the power to do that, unlike the cops who routinely kill unarmed black people and get acquitted.
    wow

Do You really think that this : " black guy says all white people need to die" is better than white guy using a pen name?
    wow
    I am impressed.
    Are You sure that You are not a racist?
    unlike the cops who routinely kill unarmed black people and get acquitted.
    wow

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Horrible reporting.

The advertised position wasn’t for jobs, it was for training and development programs.

That’s how news is spun to create scenarios to portray the majority race as somehow lacking job opportunities.
    It wasn't about "majority race as somehow lacking job opportunities". It was about not fair treatment.

No. It doesn't happen. You know who the biggest beneficiaries are of affirmative action? White people. (More specifically, white women.) But white men aren't losing out on jobs because they're white men. They're losing out on jobs because they're mediocre candidates who are benefiting slightly less from institutionalized biases in hiring.
    Oh right I forgot white people (in America) are not required to obtain education, have any talent or even be mentally or physically capable of doing the jobs that they are applying for whatsoever they just need to show up being white (and male). I somehow must have forgotten that subject back in high school.

Except your scenarios are things that don't happen. You're comparing real-world institutionalized biases that are designed to benefit white men at the expense of women and POC, to made-up hypotheticals.

Maybe they don't happen according to your narrative but they do happen, it's just that in the ultra-racial 2010's we as a society have decided that whenever a white person dies/is killed that they probably deserved it and the sentence is minimalized and the idea of it having being a racially-motivated crime is never entertained, and lastly its under-reported and buried under other news such as the "Kardashians" and pop culture.