Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    And I'm sure institutionalized biases in hiring across the industry had nothing to do with that. There's always been hordes of women willing to do comics. And hordes willing to do cape comics. But breaking in was vastly harder for them than it was for men (particularly white men), so they either gave up, or they carved out their own spaces in the indie comics scene. Which is what they're doing now, too.)
    This thread was supposed to be about the appointment of C.B. Cebulski as Marvel's new Editor in Chief, marking the end of Alonso's influence and with it many of the more questionable decisions that have been undertaken by Marvel as of late. The revelation that Cebulski used a pseudonym made for quick gossip but ultimately wasn't enough to end the man's career, despite your insistence to the contrary. Anything more than that is just distorting the purpose of this thread, as you are doing now. It makes me think that you never really cared about the Japanese writers supposedly offended by this, when your true objective was to railroad everything back towards more boring identity politics talking points.

Astonishing Member

I never try and determine the gender of the writer or artist of the graphic novel I take out at the library. Never pay attention if it's a man or woman that created the manga I'm currently reading. It would be great if people cared less about gender, race, or sexual orientation of the creators of the comic and just focused if the comic book was entertaining or not.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    Anything more than that is just distorting the purpose of this thread, as you are doing now. It makes me think that you never really cared about the Japanese writers supposedly offended by this, when your true objective was to railroad everything back towards more boring identity politics talking points.
    Strongly agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    This thread was supposed to be about the appointment of C.B. Cebulski as Marvel's new Editor in Chief, marking the end of Alonso's influence and with it many of the more questionable decisions that have been undertaken by Marvel as of late. The revelation that Cebulski used a pseudonym made for quick gossip but ultimately wasn't enough to end the man's career, despite your insistence to the contrary. Anything more than that is just distorting the purpose of this thread, as you are doing now. It makes me think that you never really cared about the Japanese writers supposedly offended by this, when your true objective was to railroad everything back towards more boring identity politics talking points.
    I never expected it to end his career. I still think he should have been removed, because I still think that a white man pretending to belong to a group that is marginalized in the country his work is intended for is horrible. And on a pedantic note: It's Asian-American creators who were offended. Actual Japanese creators aren't marginalized in their home countries, Asian-American creators are.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I never try and determine the gender of the writer or artist of the graphic novel I take out at the library. Never pay attention if it's a man or woman that created the manga I'm currently reading. It would be great if people cared less about gender, race, or sexual orientation of the creators of the comic and just focused if the comic book was entertaining or not.
    For my part, I actively seek out works by creators from groups to which I don't belong, because I find they often present unique viewpoints and ideas and approaches.

Ultimate Member

This.

In my 30+ years of reading comics I’ve never bothered myself with the race, gender or sexuality of creators.

Let alone editorial staff. No politics here, it’s weird folks bother themselves with that.

Agreed with that.

I hope that Cebulski, being a weeb, will make efforts to upgrade the asian side of Marvel.

So far, things are not very good.
    The Avengers/Attack on Titans crossover was bland.
    White Fox barely appeared in comics outside of Contest of Champions (thanks Ewing). I don't even know if and where the webcomic featuring her is available.
    Cold Moon and Dragon Fire were never used outside of the comics introducing them. Sun Wukong didn't do far better: since his one shot, he only appeared a little bit in Avengers World (thanks Spencer)
    The opportunity of japanese super heroes was lost when the Big Hero 6 got american-washed.

Well,we got six titles canceled,which was to be expected.And Jim Starlin leaves Marvel over a feud with Tom Brevoort.
    Transitional period is going to be rough.

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGunStar View Post
    Well,we got six titles canceled,which was to be expected.And Jim Starlin leaves Marvel over a feud with Tom Brevoort.
    Transitional period is going to be rough.

Which titles?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This.

In my 30+ years of reading comics I’ve never bothered myself with the race, gender or sexuality of creators.

Let alone editorial staff. No politics here, it’s weird folks bother themselves with that.
    Representation matters.

Fun fact: All the titles written by women of colour have been ended. Generation X, She-Hulk, America. All three titles written by women of colour confirmed canceled, all on the same day.

And nothing announced to take those places. No announcements of new titles that will be written by women of colour.

Such an inspiring commitment to diverse voices.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Fun fact: All the titles written by women of colour have been ended. Generation X, She-Hulk, America. All three titles written by women of colour confirmed canceled, all on the same day.

And nothing announced to take those places. No announcements of new titles that will be written by women of colour.

Such an inspiring commitment to diverse voices.
    What were the sales for those titles?
    "I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous Mask View Post
    What were the sales for those titles?
    Low enough to justify the cancellations. Any reason Marvel couldn't already have new books scheduled to be written by women of colour?

I want to make this crystal frigging clear, because I know exactly where this is going: I am not saying Marvel should have kept titles going that weren't profitable (or not profitable enough to justify keeping). It sucks that a bunch of books I love are getting canned, and I will blame every single one you bastards who didn't buy Generation X until my dying day (only partly-joking). But it's the reality of the market. So, to repeat, I am not saying Marvel should not have canceled these titles. OK? I just want to make sure that no one is going to misrepresent my argument. So if you try to claim I'm saying the titles shouldn't have been canceled, I just want to make it clear, right here, that you are lying. You're a lying liar who lies, and nothing else you say can be taken with any seriousness, because you'll already have proven yourself a liar who is not the least bit interested in an honest discussion. OK? OK.

So, here's my actual point: As of April, Marvel will not have a single woman of colour writing for them. Not one. Which is not an unusual position for them to be in, granted, but that's not really something we should be cool with. As of April, Marvel is declaring that the voices of women of colour don't really need to be heard. Marvel could have announced something last week. They could have said last week, "Hey, we're going to have Eve Ewing writing an Ironheart solo title starting in July!" They could have had that announcement ready. Or another one. They've known for a while that these books would be ending. They had time to prepare something else. They didn't bother. They decided that they're actually 100% OK with being seen as not giving a shit about the voices of women of colour. They could've had an announcement ready to both soften the blow, and to demonstrate a continued commitment to genuinely diverse voices, including those of women of colour.

That's my position. Not that Marvel should've kept these specific books going, but that they should've already had something else ready to announce.

Spectacular Member

Low enough to justify the cancellations. Any reason Marvel couldn't already have new books scheduled to be written by women of colour?

I want to make this crystal frigging clear, because I know exactly where this is going: I am not saying Marvel should have kept titles going that weren't profitable (or not profitable enough to justify keeping). It sucks that a bunch of books I love are getting canned, and I will blame every single one you bastards who didn't buy Generation X until my dying day (only partly-joking). But it's the reality of the market. So, to repeat, I am not saying Marvel should not have canceled these titles. OK? I just want to make sure that no one is going to misrepresent my argument. So if you try to claim I'm saying the titles shouldn't have been canceled, I just want to make it clear, right here, that you are lying. You're a lying liar who lies, and nothing else you say can be taken with any seriousness, because you'll already have proven yourself a liar who is not the least bit interested in an honest discussion. OK? OK.

So, here's my actual point: As of April, Marvel will not have a single woman of colour writing for them. Not one. Which is not an unusual position for them to be in, granted, but that's not really something we should be cool with. As of April, Marvel is declaring that the voices of women of colour don't really need to be heard. Marvel could have announced something last week. They could have said last week, "Hey, we're going to have Eve Ewing writing an Ironheart solo title starting in July!" They could have had that announcement ready. Or another one. They've known for a while that these books would be ending. They had time to prepare something else. They didn't bother. They decided that they're actually 100% OK with being seen as not giving a shit about the voices of women of colour. They could've had an announcement ready to both soften the blow, and to demonstrate a continued commitment to genuinely diverse voices, including those of women of colour.

That's my position. Not that Marvel should've kept these specific books going, but that they should've already had something else ready to announce.
    Why would Marvel rush them on a new books when they under performed? Do you expect to be given jobs and rewarded because of ethnicity and gender? Chuck Austen a white guy wrote for Marvel and his stuff sucked. You know what happened? He wasn't given work, fair is fair my friend.
    Last edited by Outlaw22; 12-21-2017 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw22 View Post
    Why would Marvel rush them on a new books when they under performed? Do you expect to be given jobs and rewarded because of ethnicity and gender? Chuck Austen a white guy wrote for Marvel and his stuff sucked. You know what happened? He wasn't given work, fair is fair my friend.
    A real shame these are apparently the only three women of colour writing comics. If only there were a ton of other immensely talented women of colour just chomping at the bit for the opportunity, but nope, Marvel's only decision was to keep these three specific women, or have no women of colour at all.

Also, Chuck Austen got a shitload more opportunities than any woman has gotten at Marvel since the '80s. He got opportunity after opportunity after opportunity. He got to write Uncanny X-Men. Name a woman who's gotten a run on Uncanny X-Men. Or a run on Avengers. Austen sucked and he still got to write both Uncanny X-Men and Avengers. Books that no woman has ever been allowed to write. Books that no women is going to write for at least another decade, probably more. Because women do not get anywhere near the same opportunities as men.

Women of colour? They don't get opportunities, period. Marvel still hasn't let a black woman write an ongoing. Gabby Rivera was their first Latina writer, and she was brought in from outside comics, because Marvel couldn't give less of a shit about Latinas already writing comics. Marvel does not give opportunities to women of colour. As shown by them deciding that it's just fine and dandy to not have a single title written by a woman of colour.