Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Teen Titans, #1

Red Robin, Wonder Girl, Raven, Bunker and Beast Boy step out of the shadows of the adult heroes of the DC Universe to offer bold, exciting and sometime dangerous ideas on how to protect a world full of super powered teenagers - any one of whom could be the next heroic figure or major villain!

Full article here.

Spectacular Member

Is that Josiah Power?

Based on only 5 pages? It's okay. But just okay--and that's a problem.

Contrast this 1st issue by Pfeiffer with the first issue of New Teen Titans by Marv Wolfman or the first issue of Teen Titans by Geoff Johns. I'm sorry, but the first 5 pages of those 2 TT first issues are memorable to me to this day. This reads much more like the first 5 pages from Dan Jurgens' mid 90s TT relaunch or (sad to say) like the first 5 pages from Lodbell's New 52 relaunch.

The rest of this book is going to have to be better than average to get me to spend the money to buy it and then add it to my pull list. I was a big fan of Pfeiffer's Aquaman and I think he's a talented writer, but this preview is mediocre at best. There isn't anything memorable about any of the dialogue and the villains could not possibly be more generic or uninteresting.

I hope the rest of the book is way better than this.

Astonishing Member

They say the hook is supposed to catch you on page 2. I mean, if the Teen Titans being decent to each other and working like a team is enough to hook you these days, there's that. I do like that they're all texting or speakerphoning. Radio headsets are so 1985. Kids these days can fight crime with one hand and take Instagrams of it with the other.

I suppose I'm curious who the terrorist is that's sending a school bus careening through Manhattan. I've been on a field trip in a bus to Manhattan once or twice ... super-heroes would've jazzed it up. Do I call that a hook? Being a little curious? The old "WHO IS THAT MASKED WOMAN?"

Yeah I think that's enough to hook me. I certainly can't fault the art too, too much. And the dialogue is snappy. Pfeiffer gets a tryout!
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

BANNED

I'm not sure I like the shallow re-teened Tim Drake. He's turned into the ******* Robin who only joined Batman for personal gain and ditched him when times got tough against the Black Glove.

The Teen Titans needed a massive overhaul and I don't think this is it.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    This is where im at too with Teen Titans. Even if this is not awful, its just not what i think Teen Titans needs at this point.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

This isn't a big enough departure from the drek that came before, for me.

Pass.

Astonishing Member

You have to walk before you can run. The opening scene is clearly supposed to impart key information to the reader about the nature of our protagonists. It does that, and it does it fairly naturally.

Let's at least have the issue in our hands, read it cover to cover, before we declare that it isn't bombastic enough, can we?

No, it's not a complete break from what came before, but Teen Titans is unlikely ever to be something too far outside the mainstream. It's curse and blessing as a title with name recognition, I'd say.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    This is where im at too with Teen Titans. Even if this is not awful, its just not what i think Teen Titans needs at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    This isn't a big enough departure from the drek that came before, for me.

Pass.
    Yeah my thoughts exactly. This will probably be a nice improvement from the previous series, but at the same time it feels like too much of a continuation instead of the major overhaul needed.

Re member

I'm a big detractor of the previous New52 run, but I'll give this at least three issues before I decide whether I like it. Magic 8-Ball says "Future hazy, ask again later."

Incredible Member RobertoDaCosta's Avatar

Meh...
    just meh...
    Bring back Ultimate Dazzler!!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I've kind of come to the conclusion that I am looking at this run as if this is the first book they have had in the N52. Going to do my best to ignore the previous series unless they make an effort to drag it all back up. Maybe that will help me to like this bunch of not so likable characters I used to love.

58351-9145-91346-1-titans.jpg

This pretty much sums up my feelings of the New 52 Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackest Knight View Post
    Based on only 5 pages? It's okay. But just okay--and that's a problem.

Contrast this 1st issue by Pfeiffer with the first issue of New Teen Titans by Marv Wolfman or the first issue of Teen Titans by Geoff Johns. I'm sorry, but the first 5 pages of those 2 TT first issues are memorable to me to this day. This reads much more like the first 5 pages from Dan Jurgens' mid 90s TT relaunch or (sad to say) like the first 5 pages from Lodbell's New 52 relaunch.

The rest of this book is going to have to be better than average to get me to spend the money to buy it and then add it to my pull list. I was a big fan of Pfeiffer's Aquaman and I think he's a talented writer, but this preview is mediocre at best. There isn't anything memorable about any of the dialogue and the villains could not possibly be more generic or uninteresting.

I hope the rest of the book is way better than this.
    The late 90's earlier 2000s book just called the Titans was really good until Helfer came and I wished it was more like that series.