Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Niffleheim

Default Marvel Top 10 Bad Parents

A few X-Men made the cut in this celebrated Marvel list I'm sure there are more bad parents in the Marvel universe than good ones.

They didn't count Wolverines other children he killed in Aaron's run

No Mystique on this list?????

Yeah, I just watched this. No Mystique? No Xavier? LOL! And of course, Magneto has to be included. (Who's done far worse than using Lorna's powers "without her permission" -- that old chestnut. Lorna gave her permission the first time, and he was trying to save the entire world the 2nd time. Compared to killing Pietro at the end of House of M, or repeatedly trying to kill him during that psychotic break called "Fatal Attractions.") I think Mystique is the biggest oversight, though. Depending on what account you accept, she at best abandoned baby Kurt, at worst tried to kill him. She was an abusive, neglectful mother to Graydon Greed. She drove her adoptive daughter Rogue away because she was trying to turn Rogue into a villain, and manipulated her powers to her (Raven's) benefit. And Xavier--don't get me started. Even the character admits on panel that he was a terrible father to David.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    Yeah, I just watched this. No Mystique? No Xavier? LOL! And of course, Magneto has to be included. (Who's done far worse than using Lorna's powers "without her permission" -- that old chestnut. Lorna gave her permission the first time, and he was trying to save the entire world the 2nd time. Compared to killing Pietro at the end of House of M, or repeatedly trying to kill him during that psychotic break called "Fatal Attractions.") I think Mystique is the biggest oversight, though. Depending on what account you accept, she at best abandoned baby Kurt, at worst tried to kill him. She was an abusive, neglectful mother to Graydon Greed. She drove her adoptive daughter Rogue away because she was trying to turn Rogue into a villain, and manipulated her powers to her (Raven's) benefit. And Xavier--don't get me started. Even the character admits on panel that he was a terrible father to David.
    With Graydon, even Sabretooth was better than Mystique. He gained a sliver of respect for his son, and spared his life. Mystique wanted nothing to do with him because he wasn't a mutant (prejudice), then killed him w/o a shred of remorse.

There's apparently many horrible parents in Marvel. To the point I have heard some fans say Deadpool is one of the better ones. lol
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 11-17-2017 at 07:53 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    There's apparently many horrible parents in Marvel. To the point I have heard some fans say Deadpool is one of the better ones. lol
    That's really kind of sad, isn't it? At least while Wade is a screw-up with a warped sense of reality, he TRIES to do his best.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    That's really kind of sad, isn't it? At least while Wade is a screw-up with a warped sense of reality, he TRIES to do his best.
    Sad his trying never seems to work. But he did love his kids, and wanted to have relationships with them. And no matter what they do, he never really fights or tries to kill them.

But, it's good Ellie's not still with him. She wasn't turning out well under him in SE....

Using Lorna as a battery more then once isn’t even in the top 5 ways he messed with her life without giving her a choice in the matter. But the others are a bit wordy.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Using Lorna as a battery more then once isn’t even in the top 5 ways he messed with her life without giving her a choice in the matter. But the others are a bit wordy.
    I would agree Magneto has been a bad parent with Lorna in general but again, he has not been given the opportunity of doing actual parenting with her. The only child of his that he had the oportunity to raise was Anya but she died too young. And he met Lorna during his most extreme villain phase so he not involving himself with her was a good thing imo, of course the mastermind thing is highly problematic.

But whatīs actually interesting for me is that they said "CHILDREN" instead of "DAUGHTER" I may be reading too much into it but itīs still interesting maybe they are rethinking the retcon who knows
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

With regard to Magneto stealing Lorna's powers, in the final arc of the Magneto solo, the real problem in the scene wasn't Magneto doing it; it was Lorna acting shocked and betrayed. Given Magneto's done it before, it didn't really fit for Lorna to act surprised. Would've been a different story if it never happened to her before.

Like jmc said, Magneto's done worse as a bad parent. That he's never tried to touch base with Lorna about the Genoshan genocide or never thought of its impact on her (that we've seen) is itself a pretty terrible thing out of him. Not many parents would disregard that something they did unintentionally led to massive trauma for their kid. But then, this could be unfairly blaming the character for Marvel's bad behavior. It's not like Marvel has been willing to acknowledge Lorna has any kind of history with Genosha beyond her father having run it since the mid-00s.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I would agree Magneto has been a bad parent with Lorna in general but again, he has not been given the opportunity of doing actual parenting with her. The only child of his that he had the oportunity to raise was Anya but she died too young. And he met Lorna during his most extreme villain phase so he not involving himself with her was a good thing imo, of course the mastermind thing is highly problematic.

But whatīs actually interesting for me is that they said "CHILDREN" instead of "DAUGHTER" I may be reading too much into it but itīs still interesting maybe they are rethinking the retcon who knows
    I hesitate to say Magneto was a knowingly bad parent for not raising Lorna and having Mastermind alter her mind, because I can see a perfectly good empathetic angle there. At that point, Magneto had experienced Anya's death, and he was in the midst of becoming someone guaranteed to be targeted for his actions. I can see Magneto wanting to keep his distance under the belief that getting too close and openly showing their connection would put Lorna's life at risk. It's the excuse I follow for why Magneto kept their relationship a secret even after Lorna was out there doing X-Men things. Having Mastermind alter Lorna's memories (and I presume locking away her powers from conscious use; plenty of potential for unconscious use as a teen) would have been a misguided attempt to keep her safe. Bad actions, but with good intentions.

Better to be absent but know she's alive and well than to be present and get her killed. Could easily lead to seeing a very touching and emotional father side to Magneto that has rarely been seen, and if done right, could be good for Lorna too by establishing how precious she is to her father even if he never tells her and it doesn't always look that way.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post

A few X-Men made the cut in this celebrated Marvel list I'm sure there are more bad parents in the Marvel universe than good ones.

xmen made 4 appearances... without even legion/danger/xavier mess or raven/rogue/nightcrawler that should have been there and more famous than their top 3.

and disney thought they could kill this IP that makes up for most of their best stories.lol

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    For that there was no other conceivable way in regard to her memories once Magneto made the bigger decision not to take care of her as its that vs having a child insane and unable to process what happened and the human fix of therapy would attempt to deny it happened or explain it in the process of an imagination until the humans figure out and they would betweeen her hair and the rest she does have powers and did kill her mother and others so she ends up a government science experiment.

Lorna understands the importance of his war better then the twins ever did and why he does what he does and why he divorced her from his life for the bulk of her life. But, he decided in effect not to be a father figure to her until his need for real support and emotional support overwhelmed his previous choice.

Lorna accepted the decision and was happy to do so as she was somewhat insane and lost at that point with Havok’s supposed death and the whole thing let her make a difference no matter how it turned out. But, in finding out for herself they are actually related and that he could have come to her a decade or more earlier and let her decide for herself but decided not to (well a Magneto did that was later retconned to be a robot) I think in the back of her mind hurts the most.

It would have meant more if they didn’t make sure certain someone’s were left out.

Don’t get me wrong I think the retcon will come down, but it’s going to be awhile longer until more at Marvel decide its not to their benefit nor is it hurting Fox’s options.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-18-2017 at 08:07 AM.

BANNED

Don’t get me wrong I think the retcon will come down, but it’s going to be awhile longer until more at Marvel decide its not to their benefit nor is it hurting Fox’s options.
    I think that idea was a little different: Marvel probably wanted make comics easier for new readers.

BANNED

For that there was no other conceivable way in regard to her memories once Magneto made the bigger decision not to take care of her as its that vs having a child insane and unable to process what happened and the human fix of therapy would attempt to deny it happened or explain it in the process of an imagination until the humans figure out and they would betweeen her hair and the rest she does have powers and did kill her mother and others so she ends up a government science experiment.

Lorna understands the importance of his war better then the twins ever did and why he does what he does and why he divorced her from his life for the bulk of her life. But, he decided in effect not to be a father figure to her until his need for real support and emotional support overwhelmed his previous choice.

Lorna accepted the decision and was happy to do so as she was somewhat insane and lost at that point with Havok’s supposed death and the whole thing let her make a difference no matter how it turned out. But, in finding out for herself they are actually related and that he could have come to her a decade or more earlier and let her decide for herself but decided not to (well a Magneto did that was later retconned to be a robot) I think in the back of her mind hurts the most.

It would have meant more if they didn’t make sure certain someone’s were left out.

I dont think so. because fox options is to always have their own F U money.

but the retcon had no impact anyway. they are still seen as magneto's kids. the joke is always on dismarvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelossik View Post
    I think that idea was a little different: Marvel probably wanted make comics easier for new readers.
    The trying to align everything to the MCU theory is the much more charitable one, but them being experimented on by the HE was already part of their story before the retcon, and they didn’t actually align the two versions of canon so much as to split the twins off of all things Mutant related.

Not to say that the films wasn’t the motivation as I certainly think it was, just it wasn’t so simple as we need to align canon to make things new reader accessible.
    Last edited by jmc247; 11-18-2017 at 09:06 AM.