Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did Dark Horse cancel or lose the rights to Conan?

Seriously, did Dark Horse cancel Conan? It's last issue came out in August and has been missing from the solicits since September. A little red flag there for a book that was pretty much monthly since it started all the way back in November of 2004. Haven't been to find anything at Dark Horse or Cullen Bunn's Twitter. No matter how low the books numbers were, they always produced the book because I assumed the rights to him were pretty important. Did DH lose the rights or are they trying to come up with a way to right the ship? I have years and years worth of their continuity stories going all the way back to the #0 issue that started it all with Kurt Busiek and Cary Nord. I do miss those days though. Same goes with Timothy Truman and Thomas Giorello's time on the book. It always sounded like Dark Horse wanted to tell his life's story all the way though to his time as King and also answer the question and mystery of the prince and wazir flash forwards that Busiek started.

I'm concerned all my years of reading and buying these will be for nothing with the way the series just stopped where it did with Conan The Slayer #12.
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 11-19-2017 at 12:58 AM.

Don't know.

They have do have the Conan the Slayer Volume 2 TPB due out the end of the month (collecting issues #7-12 of the Bunn run), and DC has Wonder Woman/Conan #4 due out next month (which is "Co-published with Dark Horse Comics"), but I don't know if anything else is on the horizon.

Bunn has confirmed that #12 is the last issue, sadly.

Maybe sales were just low.
    They should try and get Lemire or Kindt to give it a kickstart. Both are doing work at DH...

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post

I don't know if they were that low, at least as far as a book from Dark Horse is concerned.

Here's what Comichron has for the Dark Horse titles that made Diamond's Top 300 Comic Books list in August:
    105th - Neil Gaiman American Gods Shadows #6 - 22,102 copies
    189th - Black Hammer #12 - 11,314 copies
    204th - Hellboy and the BPRD1955:Secret Nature One Shot - 10,067 copies
    206th - Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 11 #10 - 10,050 copies
    227th - Predator Hunters #4 - 8,821 copies
    233rd - Lady Killer 2 #5 - 8,487 copies
    256th - Conan The Slayer #12 - 7,230 copies
    266th - BPRD Devil You Know #2 - 6,766 copies
    275th - Angel Season 11 #8 - 6,262 copies
    Don't know if Dark Horse had any issues published in August that were lower than 300th on the list.

They should try and get Lemire or Kindt to give it a kickstart. Both are doing work at DH...
    Bunn confirmed issue #12 was his last issue or the last issue of Conan in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Bunn confirmed issue #12 was his last issue or the last issue of Conan in general?
    You should also consider whether it could just mean the last issue for just the Conan The Slayer series, not for any-and-all Conan series. Prior to that series, Dark Horse had "Conan the Avenger".

I read it as last issue of Conan the Slayer.

I imagine it'll be back with a new moniker by a new team.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

Its easier to commit to 6 issues then an ongoing.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Maybe they're waiting until the Wonder Woman crossover ends in hopes of pulling WW fans into Conan? That seems a bit silly, though, because I can't picture too many WW fans thinking "This Conan guy is pretty cool! I think I'll buy some Conan comics." I miss the days when there was a monthly color comic, a monthly B/W magazine and the quarterly double-sized comic. Plus a sprinkling of Red Sonja and Kull comics. And the occasional new Conan novel. Sigh....

Over on the Marvel boards, it looks like Conan's licensing is getting picked up by Marvel for the coming year:

Kinda sucks that the continuity of the Dark Horse material will probably recieve no closure.
    Still, it'll hopefully get a big name creative team and a boost in sales.

After Star Wars and now this, and given the likley imminent loss of AVP with Disney buying Fox, I imagine DH are feeling apprehensive right about now...
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 01-12-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Kinda sucks that the continuity of the Dark Horse material will probably recieve no closure.
    Still, it'll hopefully get a big name creative team and a boost in sales.

After Star Wars and now this, and given the likley imminent loss of AVP with Disney buying Fox, I imagine DH are feeling apprehensive right about now...
    They need to stop relying on license and revive their project black sky line.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    But, did that actually sell many copies?

Ultimate Member

Well it's hard to do that when you got folks who REFUSE to give projects a shot and would rather invest in trashing one or both of the big two.

I am sure Dark Horse will be fine. It's not like there are not other licenses to go after.

I really wish they would. I LOVED Captain Midnight.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark