Thread: Stanning

Default Stanning

Okay so I'm sure some of you have seen this term around. It's always about fandoms. Some times it's about a couple in a relationship. Sometimes it's just about liking one particular person.

Regardless of who it's about it came from the Eminem song of the same name where Stan drowns him self and his pregnant girlfriend because he can't get Slim's attention.

You can say it doesn't mean that now or you don't mean it that way but is that any different from say the confederate flag or the n word? It's root is still something evil and violent.

Just my thoughts.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

You think the stan term is comparable to the n word? Are you being serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    You think the stan term is comparable to the n word? Are you being serious?
    Maybe that was a little over dramatic but it's still a stupid term stemming from something with violent inclinations.

Matt "peace out suckas"

BANNED

I'll get back to you as soon as I can figure out how this relates to TV or Films.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I'll get back to you as soon as I can figure out how this relates to TV or Films.
    It relates to fandoms of characters in movies and shows. It's not that hard to figure out.

Matt "peace out suckas"

This is the first time I've seen the term.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This is the first time I've seen the term.
    I see it mostly on twitter. Most recently someone used it to describe their feelings about Nyssa and her gf on black lightning. It seems to have replaced the term shipping.

Matt "peace out suckas"

Every times I've heard someone use "stan" as a term, it's been in a negative context.

Like: "Oh no, here come the __blank__ stans coming to yell at me."
    Or: "So I said I didn't like this movie/show/character, now its stans are sending me death threats."

Are there people unironically referring to themselves as "stans" and not realizing that's a bad thing? That seems foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Every times I've heard someone use "stan" as a term, it's been in a negative context.

Like: "Oh no, here come the __blank__ stans coming to yell at me."
    Or: "So I said I didn't like this movie/show/character, now its stans are sending me death threats."

Are there people unironically referring to themselves as "stans" and not realizing that's a bad thing? That seems foolish.
    Yup. I even asked if it was in reference to the Eminem song and she claimed it had no negative overtones.

Matt "peace out suckas"

BANNED

I still don't know what it means. Could we have a definition? And maybe some examples that don't require me to listen to frelling Eminem?

Google doesn't think it's a thing that exists.

I've actually heard the tune in question a few times, and I'm still a bit confused.

Is a "Stan" essentially someone who is a bit unhinged about their fandom of something?

BANNED

Stan literally means stalker+fan, however it is typically used when referring to obsession or immense praise for a certain musician and rarely has anything to do with TV or film. Relating it in any way to the confederate flag or the n word is absolutely ridiculous. At least I can thank you for providing me with the most nonsensical thing I've read this week, OP

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

Is a "Stan" essentially someone who is a bit unhinged about their fandom of something?
    Pretty much. They are obsessive over whatever they are a fan of and can be unhinged about it. The term is largely applied to music though.