Page 56 of 63 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's when a movie makes less money than the subjective amount the studio had expected it would have made for whatever reasons.

The actual amount of money it made and how successful it was or wasn't, or how (un)realistic the studio's expectations were doesn't play a role in this.
    That was rhetorical but thank you. Now what do you think They expect since thats the actual question. More then AoU? more then the first Avengers? Iono if any CBM makes more then the first Avengers movie. But if one does it will probaly be the next 2 avengers mvoie
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 01-11-2018 at 01:58 PM.

BANNED

Well, I gave it some thought, and I can't work out what movie choptop was referring to.

"Is anyone else's hopeing avgers underpeforms? I know it's Petey and a long shot"
    Could be Infinity War, but who is Petey?

Anyway, who knows what They expect? They are colonies of irrational void spiders who live in a hollowed out ex-humans. But Disney's They seem better at it than WB's at least.

Well, I gave it some thought, and I can't work out what movie choptop was referring to.

"Is anyone else's hopeing avgers underpeforms? I know it's Petey and a long shot"

Anyway, who knows what They expect? They are colonies of irrational void spiders who live in a hollowed out ex-humans. But Disney's They seem better at it than WB's at least.
    I'm was saying petty but it atofilld on me and the movie is
    avengers infinity war sorry I thought it was clear. Allso I mean no disrespect to MCU fans mostly cuz I am one allso mostly just having a laugh.
    Last edited by choptop; 01-11-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I mean no disrespect to MCU fans mostly cuz I am one allso mostly just having a laugh.
    You have to be clear about that on the internet lmao.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    If books and films are to be believed, Theater and Cinema have always been rife with a mentality of "Your failure is the next best thing to my success." What's more I can see Foster thinking, "The budget for just one of those drains the funding pool for seven of mine."
    That's what i get out of these complaints.

Extraordinary Member

what went wrong?

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    You have to be clear about that on the internet lmao.
    Meh I think it's fine the way it is if people are offended by that they really need to stay off the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Is anyone else's hopeing avengers infinity war underpeforms? I know it's Petty and a long shot and I know it's not so nice but as a DC fan I kinda want to see marvel get a does of the DCEU misstep now I feel like a sowerpuss.
    As long as the MCU movie succeed it gives DC Films more motivation to make fun, enjoyable movies instead of depressing slog fests.

If books and films are to be believed, Theater and Cinema have always been rife with a mentality of "Your failure is the next best thing to my success." What's more I can see Foster thinking, "The budget for just one of those drains the funding pool for seven of mine."
    What she fails to realize is these massively profitable big budget movies do is give the studios the money to fund those vanity project little movies that almost no one watches anyway.
    The profits of just one of them brings the studio in more money that a dozen of her movies would.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    What she fails to realize is these massively profitable big budget movies do is give the studios the money to fund those vanity project little movies that almost no one watches anyway.
    The profits of just one of them brings the studio in more money that a dozen of her movies would.
    Possibly so, but studio thirst for those large revenue projects (note: I say revenue, not profit) probably does limit how many smaller revenue projects a studio is inclined to fund. I suspect this is one of the factors pushing so many stars and directors to the streaming companies. They need content, can't afford the massive budget spectacles that Disney and thus are willing to support a wider range of content.

BANNED

Possibly so, but studio thirst for those large revenue projects (note: I say revenue, not profit) probably does limit how many smaller revenue projects a studio is inclined to fund. I suspect this is one of the factors pushing so many stars and directors to the streaming companies. They need content, can't afford the massive budget spectacles that Disney and thus are willing to support a wider range of content.
    Indications are that the limitations are stretched in favor of the small films. Many wouldn't get made if not for the big ones. Profits from big films mean the studios can make smaller films where the risk is much lower.

that's why the failure of the DCEU is so important. Not because it hurts us comic nerds, but because it hurts the smaller, award-winning films chances of being able to be made at all.

Also, I kind of think calling these movies "vanity projects" is a little condescending. I also think "almost no one watches" is an unfair characterization. No studio makes a film they expect almost no one to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Also, I kind of think calling these movies "vanity projects" is a little condescending. I also think "almost no one watches" is an unfair characterization. No studio makes a film they expect almost no one to watch.
    I am saying that because a lot of these movie aren't a movie with great demand, the public saying, "hey, why doesn't someone make a movie about....". They are a pet project of a director or producer that gets made
    because that person has clout. Such as the Margot Robbie movie "I, Tonya". No one was saying, "You know what would be cool, to have a movie about an Olympic scandal that happened decades ago?" And that
    the movies' opening weekend was $264 thousand and has only made $6 million in five weeks sort of proves that almost no one wanted to see it, relative even to Justice League, which is a movie almost infamous
    in other people claiming no one wanted to see it. It was a movie Margot Robbie wanted to make because she was fascinated by that person and Margot Robbie is one of the "it" people in Hollywood right now.
    If that isn't a vanity project, how would you describe it?

BANNED

I am saying that because a lot of these movie aren't a movie with great demand, the public saying, "hey, why doesn't someone make a movie about....". They are a pet project of a director or producer that gets made
    because that person has clout. Such as the Margot Robbie movie "I, Tonya". No one was saying, "You know what would be cool, to have a movie about an Olympic scandal that happened decades ago?" And that
    the movies' opening weekend was $264 thousand and has only made $6 million in five weeks sort of proves that almost no one wanted to see it, relative even to Justice League, which is a movie almost infamous
    in other people claiming no one wanted to see it. It was a movie Margot Robbie wanted to make because she was fascinated by that person and Margot Robbie is one of the "it" people in Hollywood right now.
    OK, that's a narrower definition than I was thinking you meant. Clint Eastwood famously did a movie like this ("Bird"), but was only able to do it by agreeing to do another Dirty Harry movie in exchange, so there was a definite tit-for-tat aspect. I don't know if a similar arrangement was made for the Tonya movie. Essentially the studio writes off the expenses of the smaller movie as part of the production budget of the larger one.

However, the mega movies like Avengers and Justice League are expected to help offset the expense and risk of producing smaller, but non-vanity projects like Wonder, I Am Not Your Negro, The Zookeepers Wife, and Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Indications are that the limitations are stretched in favor of the small films. Many wouldn't get made if not for the big ones. Profits from big films mean the studios can make smaller films where the risk is much lower.

that's why the failure of the DCEU is so important. Not because it hurts us comic nerds, but because it hurts the smaller, award-winning films chances of being able to be made at all.

"Vanity movies" is probably unfair but appropriate in response to the condescending attitude of her and people like her. Though, in a way, "vanity" is sort of fair when someone is talking about how the overwhelming majority of the movie-going audience should be denied the movies they want in favor of movies they have far less interest in because she wants to be in the smaller movies far less people care about.

In addition to Clint Eastwood, I recall though that Sylvester Stallone also used the tactic of making a deal where he got to do two "small" movies he wanted to do in exchange for also doing three big movies, one of which had to be a Rambo and one a Rocky. If Jodie Foster was smart about it, she'd do a DC movie and get Warners to give her three or four small movies that would cost such an insignificant amount and would need to make so little to be profitable that they'd do it without a thought.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

Passion project. Less negative connotation.