Page 11 of 63 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Well, the basic point I'm getting at is not that it's bad just because I think it's bad, but that you can't really say an audience's taste has improved when it embraces a lot of problematic fare. Current critics liking RAGNAROK doesn't prove it's good, nor does their scorn for JL prove that it's bad. The test of time is the best one I know.
    I didn't care for Ragnarok, but given the critical and commercial success, I have to assume that's on me, not everyone else.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bukdiah View Post
    Aye, I remember when Star Wars Episode One came out and people were convincing themselves that it was a good movie. Only after time passed did they accept that it was crappy.
    Whats pretty amazing about the Star Wars franchise is they can give fans an utter crap sandwich and they will come back to more probably more than any franchise. I mean as bad as Phantom menace was sure attack of the clones out a little, but heck so did empire strikes back from original Star Wars. Then as bad as attack was which was easily the worst of the three it didn't really affect the box office of Revenge of the Sith. All were massive. I mean if you look at Phantom menace adjusted for inflation you are talking about 757 million. Even attack of the clones made 464 million which is insane like nothing makes money like this now in the theater unless its just a huge freak hit. Attack of the clones which was utter garbage made the equivalent of 464 million domestic. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Well, the basic point I'm getting at is not that it's bad just because I think it's bad, but that you can't really say an audience's taste has improved when it embraces a lot of problematic fare. Current critics liking RAGNAROK doesn't prove it's good, nor does their scorn for JL prove that it's bad. The test of time is the best one I know.
    Umm...you just said "it's not bad because I say it's bad" and THEN say "just because the audiences and critics like it doesn't mean it's not bad." So the only one making the judgement that it's bad would be you, in that case and you just defeated your own argument.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Actually your wrong. It took a 60 percent drop from last weekend which is more than any comic book movie this year, and more than suicide squad in its third weekend which had horrible drops itself. So no its not an expected drop. Projections for Thor were 25 to 26 million this weekend. It made 21 million. A 60 percent drop. Suicide squad which had horrible reviews had less of a drop in its third weekend. So no its not expected.
    No, actually I'm not wrong. The drop from week one to week two was less than 60 percent, which is the standard drop for a blockbuster.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    No, actually I'm not wrong. The drop from week one to week two was less than 60 percent, which is the standard drop for a blockbuster.

Holy Crap ok here we go- Weekend Three Logan- 53 percent drop
    Weekend Three GOTG2- 46 percent drop
    Weekend Three Wonder Woman- 29 percent drop
    Weekend Three Spider man -49 percent drop
    Weekend Three Thor- 62 percent drop

Now if you want to keep on stating that the drop is normal for a blockbuster I am going to keep on posting facts to you. The Drop for Thor was massive. More than any comic book movie this year. And actually much much more. What drives me nuts about when I try to post facts I get general statements. I don't care what you say these are numbers right from Box office mojo. Now you can say its all normal and whatever. But not for the other comic book movies this year.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 11-20-2017 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    On this forum, I think I can count on one hand the number of people who said "I like it all! It was really great!" Even the most hardcore DC fans (even those fans of the previous films) dropped impressions here of "It was entertaining, but not perfect..." and then list reasons. Steppenwolf was stupid and looked stupid. Superman just proved the rest of the League was meaningless. Flash is annoying, and on and on. If that's what the most ardent fans are saying, what are the casual moviegoers supposed to think when they leave the film? When you make a move with billion dollar expectations, a great part of that expectation is that people will not only come in droves, but will also come back in droves 2 to 4 times. People don't seem to be getting enough entertainment out of this movie to justify the time and expense.

What is so terrible, in the face of all this, of just acknowledging that the movie isn't doing well because it's not very entertaining to a great many people who saw it? That's not fatigue, it's just ambivalence. it's on the movie to elicit a stronger reaction, at least from its own fans.
    Well, this forum is a pretty small minority compared to all movie goers. I think JL has a decent user score actually? lol
    Superhero shows are trash

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Aye, I remember when Star Wars Episode One came out and people were convincing themselves that it was a good movie. Only after time passed did they accept that it was crappy.
    It was about three weeks. For three halcyon weeks in May and early June of 1999, geekdom was gripped in the euphoria of seeing the first new STAR WARS movie in cinemas since the 1980s. Then, the euphoria faded...

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    It was about three weeks. For three halcyon weeks in May and early June of 1999, geekdom was gripped in the euphoria of seeing the first new STAR WARS movie in cinemas since the 1980s. Then, the euphoria faded...

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Yea but did it really Buried? Yes Attack didn't do as well as Phantom but Empire didn't do as well as Star Wars. And Revenge rebounded nicely. Star Wars is almost box office immune. Regardless of the quality. Maybe if they made like 5 bad ones in a row I don't know.

Holy Crap ok here we go- Weekend Three Logan- 53 percent drop
    Weekend Three GOTG2- 46 percent drop
    Weekend Three Wonder Woman- 29 percent drop
    Weekend Three Spider man -49 percent drop
    Weekend Three Thor- 62 percent drop

Now if you want to keep on stating that the drop is normal for a blockbuster I am going to keep on posting facts to you. The Drop for Thor was massive. More than any comic book movie this year. And actually much much more. What drives me nuts about when I try to post facts I get general statements. I don't care what you say these are numbers right from Box office mojo. Now you can say its all normal and whatever. But not for the other comic book movies this year.
    And in just the last few years, these superhero movies (not even all blockbusters) had a greater than 60 percent drop from week one to week two:

BvS, Fantastic Four, Suicide Squad, Green Lantern, X-Men: Apocalypse, Man of Steel, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Dark Knight Rises and the Wolverine.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    And in just the last few years, these superhero movies (not even all blockbusters) had a greater than 60 percent drop from week one to week two:

BvS, Fantastic Four, Suicide Squad, Green Lantern, X-Men: Apocalypse, Man of Steel, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Dark Knight Rises and the Wolverine.

I am talking this year. And I am talking week three. 60 percent drops are not normal not for week three. Dark night rises dropped 42 percent for week three. This is not a normal week three drop so why do you keep saying it is? Homecoming had a big week 2 drop but recovered for a decent week three drop. This is a big week three drop the biggest of the year for any comic book movie by far. So why do you want to keep saying its normal? Its not. Its even bigger considering the time of year when people actually go to the movies on the weekend as opposed to Wonder Woman and spidey where the kids are not in school. You keep saying its a normal week three drop. Its not. Of course my point was that JL and Thor dug into each other. Thats all. If you don't want to admit it ok. I don't care.
    Last edited by inisideguy; 11-20-2017 at 11:00 PM.

I am talking this year. And I am talking week three. 60 percent drops are not normal not for week three. Dark night rises dropped 42 percent for week three. This is not a normal week three drop so why do you keep saying it is? Homecoming had a big week 2 drop but recovered for a decent week three drop. This is a big week three drop the biggest of the year for any comic book movie by far. So why do you want to keep saying its normal? Its not. Its even bigger considering the time of year when people actually go to the movies on the weekend as opposed to Wonder Woman and spidey where the kids are in school. You keep saying its a normal week three drop. Its not. Of course my point was that JL and Thor dug into each other. Thats all. If you don't want to admit it ok. I don't care.
    I would have to look but did any of these movies have something as big as Justice league come out on its third week?. Even coming in way under projections from a month ago it still made 96m and is targeting the same audience.

Edit: nvm saw what you said at the end and yes they definetly dug into each other. If you dont have a movie opening to almost 100m this week with the same target audience, Thors drop probaly isnt nearly as much. But this was expected, ppl kept saying Thor had to get its money in the first 2 weeks, which it did better then expected. Before the Justice League dropped.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 11-20-2017 at 11:02 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I would have to look but did any of these movies have something as big as Justice league come out on its third week?. Even coming in way under projections from a month ago it still made 96m and is targeting the same audience.

Edit: nvm saw what you said at the end and yes they definetly dug into each other

Yep thats all I was trying to say. Neither benefitted from having themselves released two weeks apart. Thor got a head start but it got can blasted in week 3. Now that being said it wasn't having the greatest week moving up to that. Its drops were pretty deep on the weekdays. Personally I think WB messed up with the release date. But its funny cause people were saying wonder women would have issues with its release date due to all the blockbusters coming out around it. It would have if any of those movies lived up to expectations. None of them did. Terrible early summer. Suicide Squad is another one that picked just about the perfect release date. Even with all the bad reviews nothing else was out there for like two months. It just kept going and going. Of course like I said Thanksgiving weekend can be very kind to everyone. I remember the Hunger games all to well.

Yep thats all I was trying to say. Neither benefitted from having themselves released two weeks apart. Thor got a head start but it got can blasted in week 3. Now that being said it wasn't having the greatest week moving up to that. Its drops were pretty deep on the weekdays. Personally I think WB messed up with the release date. But its funny cause people were saying wonder women would have issues with its release date due to all the blockbusters coming out around it. It would have if any of those movies lived up to expectations. None of them did. Terrible early summer. Suicide Squad is another one that picked just about the perfect release date. Even with all the bad reviews nothing else was out there for like two months. It just kept going and going. Of course like I said Thanksgiving weekend can be very kind to everyone. I remember the Hunger games all to well.
    Thor came in over projections early, i dont think disney is upset right now. They had to know JL was gonna get them week 3 and then they are droppong theyre big animated movie the next week. None of this can be a surprise to them. And i dont have time to look at drops and predict Thors final totals but i assume it will atleast be pushing 800m worldwide. Its only 60m away.

I still think JL can bouncr back it did good oversea and if the drops are good next week like you suggest it can end somewhere acceptable.

Incredible Member

What went wrong? The film makers actually have Aquaman polluting the ocean with empty beer bottles ... because it looked cool. That says right there how much Snyder/Whedon/etc. "got" their characters.

Ultimate Member

Guy runs like people are pulling him by the waist. Not to mention he runs bow legged lmao. A little girl told her parents, "He runs so weird."

Actually reminded me of Forrest Gump

I thought the Flash running at the end was meant to be funny.

Because Miller was running very, very funny in that scene.