Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    What was the "boob joke"? Apparently I missed it.
    I think they mean flash saving ww and landing on her with his face in her boobs. He then quickly zooms away like it didnt happen. Other then that iono what they mean

@AJ spock isnt Superman at all. I can find plenty of ppl who dont know who spock is. Esepcially younger people under 25. You could travel the world and have a hard time finding someone who doesnt know whp superman is. Starving kids in Ethiopia know know who superman is. Not that they are the movie audience, but you would be hard pressed to find many charatcers with the name recognition of Superman even within the film world.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 11-19-2017 at 02:45 PM.

It's made twice the U.S. take overseas, for a total $282 million internationally (according to @BoxOffice).

Maybe studios should stop relying too much on the U.S. market and start moving their operations overseas...

Good-bye Hollywood, Hello Bollywood?
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Three shitty movies.
    Pretty much

A lot of the general public are fed up with the DC movies, aside from maybe Wonder Woman, after abominations like Man of Steel, BvS and Suicide Squad.

I caught a matinee with my youngest yesterday and the only positives I can say about the movie are that Gal Gadot is once again very good as Wonder Woman and at least Superman acts a helluva lot more like Superman here. That's about it. The rest is essentially the same crap we've come to expect from a Snyder production (excessive slo-mo shots and lens flare, going totally overboard on CG to the point of making the film look more like a videogame than a movie, etc) but with lame forced one liners thrown in to cap it off. How the hell anyone can find Ezra Miller as Flash anything other than incredibly annoying is beyond me. They should've just gotten the guy who portrays the Flash on TV.

Then you add on maybe the lamest comic book movie villain in recent memory who looks like he stepped out of a Final Fantasy cutscene from 10 years ago (literally, CGI Steppenwolf is hysterically bad) and the couple of shots where Cavill's CGI mustache removal sticks out like a sore thumb.

The RedLetterMedia guys hit it right on the head with their review. Not as utterly terrible as BvS or Suicide Squad, but a completely forgettable movie that I have no interest in watching a 2nd time.

Last edited by Cimmerian; 11-19-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Yeah I have no idea what people are talking about either. And the other thing was blatant but very brief
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

is in 9th place on top opening of the year.

Something went wrong? And it will probably move up a spot when the actual numbers come in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post

Something went wrong? And it will probably move up a spot when the actual numbers come in.
    Let's put it in context here...

This is a Justice League movie with a $200+ million budget.

There are tons of people who have been waiting for a blockbuster Justice League movie for decades. A superhero movie consisting of 5 (forget Cyborg) of DC's most iconic superheroes, hell, 5 of the most iconic superheroes, period...and it's set to have the 8th/9th highest opening of the year. It can't even beat out the 3rd Thor movie or a remake of a made for TV horror movie like IT. And we're not even done yet. The new Star Wars movie is virtually guaranteed to surpass it and even a big animated movie like Coco could possibly do the same. There's a chance it doesn't even finish in the Top 10 at years end.

This movie finishing outside the Top 3, certainly Top 5, is a major letdown for the execs at Warner Bros.

I promise you that.
    Last edited by Cimmerian; 11-19-2017 at 03:20 PM.

The trailers didn't even make it look good.

BANNED

WB took an interesting approach to DCEU. I can understand that they wanted it to be different from Marvel to avoid obvious comparisons, but the WB approach seems to have been:

1. Introduce Superman. He's our bedrock. Plus, Superman has the biggest chance of a movie with Marvel-like CGI battles (I know, I'm supposing already they were comparing themselves to Marvel).
    2. Bring in Batman, and maybe Wonder Woman. Get a team movie going quickly, and we'll use that to launch more franchises.
    3. Bring in Justice League. That'll give us as many as 6 characters right off the bat we can migrate into solo franchises.

This is exactly the opposite of what Marvel did, bringing in lots of smaller individual movies and then using Avengers to climax their stories, without taking away the climax to their stories from the solo movies.

Marvel slowly introduced the universe-threatening villain and the means by which he could achieve his goal, threading the stones through plots of many of their movies, but doing it in such a subtle way that you don't need to know or understand about the stones going into Infinity Wars to get the story as a standalone.

DCEU has a premonition from Batman that means virtually nothing to a non-comic fan (or even to a casual comic fan like myself - I read a lot of DC, but the New Gods never interested me and I largely ignored them, preferring to think of them as a different reality). Justice League has a vague reference to Darkseid (which the average movie-goer I'm sure will hear as "Dark Side") and no reason at all to think the reference is very important or serious.

Let me ask this: If you aren't familiar with comic continuity, is there any reason for the audience to suspect that in JL, the heroes have not handily dispatched the world-threatening evil from Batman's premonition, and everything is settled now?

WB's approach is interesting and not necessarily pre-destined to failure, but does rely on audiences hanging with the characters until they get their solo movies to explain who and what they are. I suspect that the approach could have been successful, but not under Zack Snyder, who just doesn't seem to have the story-telling finesse to pull it off.

The bigger question now is: Given what's established, can DCEU recover? Can they make the audience want to see Superman and Batman again, or are they going to have to rely on Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Flash as their go-to crowd-pleasers (and make no mistake, Flash was a crowd-pleaser, even if not anything like any version of Barry comic fans have known).

IMHO if the Box Office is lower than expected it will be mainly because of Batman vs Superman. Adding Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg to a movie that essentially has the same characters as before is not going to counteract the negative experience people had watching Dawn of Justice. Contrary to what a lot of people may think, bad reviews aren't going to stop the lions-share of movie goers from watching a blockbuster movie. BvS could have had a 1/10 review but people would still have watched it back then because people will be like "Really? Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman and it only gets 1/10? I gotta see this" Although now people will see the same brand, same characters and associate that with their previous movie going experience. Only word of mouth that the movie is good that people will start seeing it so the overall Box Office total will be what matters for this movie, not the initial hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimmerian View Post
    Let's put it in context here...

This is a Justice League movie with a $200+ million budget.
    Why dont we put it into more context and include the worldwide take?

There are tons of people who have been waiting for a blockbuster Justice League movie for decades. A superhero movie consisting of 5 (forget Cyborg) of DC's most iconic superheroes, hell, 5 of the most iconic superheroes, period...and it's going to have the 8th/9th highest opening of the year. It can't even beat out the 3rd Thor movie or a remake of a made for TV horror movie like IT. And we're not even done yet. The new Star Wars movie is virtually guaranteed to surpass it and even a big animated movie like Coco could possibly do the same. There's a chance it doesn't even finish in the Top 10 at years end.
    i like how you are trying to downplay those movies. "It based on a tv movie!" It is a book.

This movie finishing outside the Top 3, certainly Top 5, is a major letdown for the execs at Warner Bros.

I promise you that.
    Do you know deal they have with movie theaters? Cause if you dont you cant promise me anything.

BANNED

Why dont we put it into more context and include the worldwide take?

i like how you are trying to downplay those movies. "It based on a tv movie!" It is a book.

Do you know deal they have with movie theaters? Cause if you dont you cant promise me anything.

If you honestly think that tons of people were flocking to the theaters to see IT because of Stephen King's novel, then I have a bridge to sell you. The movie made a ton of money because a shitload of people in their late 20's/30's grew up with the made for TV adaptation.

The Warner Bros execs were reportedly pissed that BvS didn't break $1 billion worldwide at the box office. What do you think their reaction is going to be when their grandaddy team-up flick could end up grossing approximately half of that? Not too cheerful, I assure you.

BANNED

I do. having managed a movie theater I know very well. Suffice it to say there's a reason for the price of popcorn in a movie theater.

Yes, WB will be disappointed.

Mighty Member

I didn't think it was bad i liked it and people in the theater were clapping when the JL won

Their opening ranks matters less than how much they make in contrast to their budget. A movie ranking 2nd or 3rd can still me more of a flop than a movie ranked 8th or 9th if it didn't at least break even (which usually means doubling your budget).

This is where the millions they spent on massive reshoots might come back to bite them in the behind. It not only garners bad press, but means they need to make that much more to earn a profit.

Obviously there's still time for them to make money. But if they get a week 2 drop off that BvS had, the movie won't be the slam dunk I'm sure they were hoping for.
    Last edited by XPac; 11-19-2017 at 03:54 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    I didn't think it was bad i liked it and people in the theater were clapping when the JL won
    There were people clapping in my theater during the final battle in BvS

There are a lot of simple people out there. Especially the general movie going public. That's why we get a slew of those shitty Transformers movies.

Dangle something shiny in front of them and watch them react.

Fanboys are going to react positively to whatever they hold dear to them, no matter how bad the product truly is.